Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Loans

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Whilst I think Reyes and Harper are great additions, and will reserve judgement on Paynter until he's played for us, it does concern me they are all short term. Are there options to take for the season?

The memories of Adams second coming, when we seemed to have a team full of loanees and capitulated (after a good season start!) is still very raw.

Lets hope history doesn't repeat. :eek:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think the Adams era (second time round ) we tried too many loanees at once , and gave a very unbalanced side with so many chops and changes

if Poyet sticks to just these three their shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Wait until January, we'll be getting some business done. In the meantime, I would rather we signed players with the relevant experience in league football rather than kids from an elite club. Our business has been very solid and clever so far, in january we'll be seeing more permanent additions I would think.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
Harper im sure i read we had the option to extend, Reyes and Paynter are both till Jan when the transfer window opens. So we could either be looking to buy them both or have prospects once the window comes about

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
But we still need a strong as nails productive central midfielder in my opinion.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Reyes and Paynter are until january so are for 12 and 11 games respectively, Harper's is potentially until the end of the season. I personally wouldn't call a loan that covers a quarter of the season 'short term'.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Our best spells of that Adams season were also built on loan players. One under Adams when we were good for about three games, and of course under Slade. I get that short term loans can be unsettling but the main problem that season wasn't that Adams brought too many loan players in, it was that Adams was our manager.

Jara and Paynter are both here until January, so that's a good period of time, and I would think there will be the chance to extend Harper's at least that long.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The loans are an admission that we need a quick fix that can't wait til January. Which is fair enough. Rather that than do nothing.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
it does concern me they are all short term. Are there options to take for the season?

They have to be short term loans. As I understand the rules, long term loans (i.e. half-season or full-season) can only be made within the transfer window. 'Emergency' loans (31 days - 3 months) can be made outside the transfer window.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
They have to be short term loans. As I understand the rules, long term loans (i.e. half-season or full-season) can only be made within the transfer window. 'Emergency' loans (31 days - 3 months) can be made outside the transfer window.

But the loan can be extended come January I should imagine?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I think Gus is getting them in now to try and stop the rot (and hopefully still be in with a shout of the play offs) and then in January make them perm or go and get other players to push us on

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If these loanees do enough to enable the team to stay up, Gus will know exactly what is requred next season and target the right players in the close season. We just need TB to keep faith in funding Gus and we'll be a team to be reckoned with sooner rather than later.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The loans are an admission that we need a quick fix that can't wait til January. Which is fair enough. Rather that than do nothing.

This. Gus is aware that we are deficient in some areas and is taking steps to correct it NOW.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think it makes sense to see what we need on a shortish term basis and make the necessary changes for permanent players come summer. In fact I would rather we had a couple of seasons in the Champs, the second season making a concerted push at a play off/promotion place. I think we'd be a better and stronger team/club for it, if that makes sense?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I think it makes sense to see what we need on a shortish term basis and make the necessary changes for permanent players come summer. In fact I would rather we had a couple of seasons in the Champs, the second season making a concerted push at a play off/promotion place. I think we'd be a better and stronger team/club for it, if that makes sense?

Yes it does, and I would agree. Not that I'll be complaining if we go up straight away.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

This is correct, outside of the transfer window we can only sign players for a maximum of 3 months under the rules of the emergancy loan. Once the window opens in January we can extended those loans until the end of the season if needed.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
I thought there was a loan window that was opened a week after the transfer window shut and shuts im not to sure when but before Jan. I thought the lenth of them loans didnt matter.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I thought there was a loan window that was opened a week after the transfer window shut and shuts im not to sure when but before Jan. I thought the lenth of them loans didnt matter.

There is a loan window. It can only be used for short-term (otherwise known as 'emergency') loans. Long term loans must be completed within the normal transfer window.

With short term loans players usually cannot be recalled in the first 28 days. Also, the loan can (usually, subject to agreement between the clubs) be extended up to 3 months.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here