Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Asked this morning if she trusts her chancellor she refused to say yes. That's a few weeks in and she can't even back the bloke she appointed. Not great. What is she doing? I've gone from thinking she was being brave and trying new things to agreeing with you lot that she is clueless. Help. Who to vote for now!

Translated, that means she is already trying to distance herself from, and avoid responsibility for, the train crash she and Kwasi caused less than a month after they started.

I do believe that this may be a record.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Translated, that means she is already trying to distance herself from, and avoid responsibility for, the train crash she and Kwasi caused less than a month after they started.

I do believe that this may be a record.

Yes I believe you're right. So fed up with all the politics though. Just get on and do your job as best you can. Mistakes happen, no one is perfect but if things are done for the wrong reasons then it is not acceptable. Just feels like the whole party is now fighting for who is going to be party leader once Truss gets demolished at the next election.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Well they’ve shat the bed repeatedly for years now, this is just the latest occurrence of mattress crappery.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Asked this morning if she trusts her chancellor she refused to say yes. That's a few weeks in and she can't even back the bloke she appointed. Not great. What is she doing? I've gone from thinking she was being brave and trying new things to agreeing with you lot that she is clueless. Help. Who to vote for now!

Don't worry too much and look on the bright side.

I'm absolutely certain that if you vote badly every time for the next 40 years, you wouldn't be able to achieve the same amount damage you've done to the British Economy in the last few. See, every cloud etc .... :wink:

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Tory MPs “staged a coup” against the prime minister over the 45p tax rate, Suella Braverman has said.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is a bit like my mate who trying to sound part of a conversation on Italy said he'd lived there. When pushed on this it was for 2 weeks a couple of years previous. His holiday basically. :ffsparr:

She was caught out previously, on QT, when she said her parents were refugees. It was shown to be untrue and they were economic migrants.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Mistakes happen, no one is perfect but if things are done for the wrong reasons then it is not acceptable.

This is the point. No one individual is taking responsibility for abolition of the 45p tax rate debacle. Kay Burley interviewed Chief Secretary to the Treasury Chris Philp and accused him of being the driver behind the policy. He did not deny this but hid behind the line of "many people had a hand in us going with that policy, not just me".

The PM admitted she had not discussed it with her whole Cabinet and said that had been the Chancellor's decision. If so, then maybe it was his fault.

However, Truss had been campaigning on tax cuts and promoting growth so created the climate for this situation to have arisen and appointed those who proposed and then announced the policy so - arguably - she should carry the can.

The problem is that they will all point the finger elsewhere, coalesce around collective responsible and muddle through, just as Boris Johnson did throughout his premiership.

This is in stark contrast to Keir Starmer, who said he would personally resign if found guilty of a Covid lockdown breach. I don't buy this opinion that many spout that all politicians are bad. The UK needs Starmer's Labour Party now, if for no other reason than to reinstate some credibility, integrity and structure into decision-making and accountability.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Yes I believe you're right. So fed up with all the politics though. Just get on and do your job as best you can. Mistakes happen, no one is perfect but if things are done for the wrong reasons then it is not acceptable. Just feels like the whole party is now fighting for who is going to be party leader once Truss gets demolished at the next election.

Do you think they are going to let her lead the party in the next election?
I can't see her lasting past the local elections in May at the very longest.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
^ the country needs Labour because they aren’t the Tories - and there is no other credible option. I’ll be voting Labour, as will most (it’ll be a massacre) but Starmer is pretty much irrelevant. Potato in a red rosette and all that. We need the Tories out and Labour are the only credible option.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is beyond a joke. The man who was filmed laughing in Westminster Abbey now blames the Queen's funeral for his mistakes.

[tweet]1577282745377644544[/tweet]

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
This is beyond a joke. The man who was filmed laughing in Westminster Abbey now blames the Queen's funeral for his mistakes.

[tweet]1577282745377644544[/tweet]

Wow. Even by Tory standards that is low. Blaming the late HM for him being a clueless f'wit. You couldn't make it up.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
At what point will this Government tear off the mask Scooby Doo-like and reveal itself to be Frank De Boer?

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Home Secretary Suella Braverman has been speaking at a Telegraph fringe event at the Tory Party Conference and we've been bringing you some of her key comments here.

In the last hour, she said she thinks "too many students" are coming into the UK who are "frankly propping up substandard courses in inadequate institutions". She said this after claiming "net migration needs to come down".

"I think poor universities are being bankrolled by foreign students and I would really like to see that number come down."

She said the UK was seeing "quite a large number" of foreign students bringing in their family members.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Home Secretary Suella Braverman has been speaking at a Telegraph fringe event at the Tory Party Conference and we've been bringing you some of her key comments here.

In the last hour, she said she thinks "too many students" are coming into the UK who are "frankly propping up substandard courses in inadequate institutions". She said this after claiming "net migration needs to come down".

"I think poor universities are being bankrolled by foreign students and I would really like to see that number come down."

She said the UK was seeing "quite a large number" of foreign students bringing in their family members.

So proud of my MP :ffsparr:

She really is despicable.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

was happening with language schools for years but they clamped down on it. suspect if there is a problem, some uni's would go out of business. think theres a wider, general problem about quality of university education without bringing immigration into it.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
This is the point. No one individual is taking responsibility for abolition of the 45p tax rate debacle. Kay Burley interviewed Chief Secretary to the Treasury Chris Philp and accused him of being the driver behind the policy. He did not deny this but hid behind the line of "many people had a hand in us going with that policy, not just me".

The PM admitted she had not discussed it with her whole Cabinet and said that had been the Chancellor's decision. If so, then maybe it was his fault.

However, Truss had been campaigning on tax cuts and promoting growth so created the climate for this situation to have arisen and appointed those who proposed and then announced the policy so - arguably - she should carry the can.

The problem is that they will all point the finger elsewhere, coalesce around collective responsible and muddle through, just as Boris Johnson did throughout his premiership.

This is in stark contrast to Keir Starmer, who said he would personally resign if found guilty of a Covid lockdown breach. I don't buy this opinion that many spout that all politicians are bad. The UK needs Starmer's Labour Party now, if for no other reason than to reinstate some credibility, integrity and structure into decision-making and accountability.

Ultimately it is the PM's fault as she is (supposedly) in charge. Blaming others is just a failure of leadership (what a surprise). Starmer was not tested on that statement as he wasn't found guilty so we have to take his word for it that he would have resigned, but I agree that his word is more credible than the others at the moment.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Do you think they are going to let her lead the party in the next election?
I can't see her lasting past the local elections in May at the very longest.

The problem is you can't keep removing the person that membership has chosen to lead the party. They should have stuck with Boris, but having got rid of him this was always going to be a car crash unless the membership selected the candidate they wanted (Rishi). Was never going to happen though. So are they going to keep going until they get the answer they want?

No decent candidate will in their right mind take the job on now, that's half the problem. Far better to wait until Truss loses the election, they can come in and have five years as opposition leader and then have a good go next time. Opposition leader is a far easier role than PM.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
was happening with language schools for years but they clamped down on it. suspect if there is a problem, some uni's would go out of business. think theres a wider, general problem about quality of university education without bringing immigration into it.

Sue Ellen is using distraction politics based on divide and conquer and culture wars. She is trying to change the media narrative today away from the Tory economic shit-show.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Yes, mistakes happen, but this lot make a lot of BIG mistakes. Ones that are inexcusable for the people who are meant to be in charge of running the country. She keeps spouting these lines about them "listening" to the people, but surely she could see that it was an awful policy (or part of it) from the off that was never going to go down well.

And yet some people think (or seem to know for sure) things would be worse if the other 'side' were in charge...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here