Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Are you suggesting that the way it is panning out is exactly how Truss planned it? Because she is a disciple of Minford?

I have looked him up. Nothing prominent about using low income tax to incentivize the 'wealth creators', in his wikipedia.

Links to Reform.....ah yes, Truss is part of that.....still nothing obvious about using low tax for the wealthy as the primary wealth creating tool. Reads like blather. Hidden agenda? Well hidden...

I still agree with [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] that this was a back of the envelope job with unintended consequences.

If we are all prosperous in a year then, of course, I shall recant. :wink:

Apologies if there is an elephant in the room that I have walked under.

Allegedly shorting the pound and insider knowledge. Disaster capitalism. Small state.

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Once it reaches $1.13 the UK economy is saved for eternity. Hope you have your champage bottle ready.
Good call, Swansman.

The UK is shagged until Truss is forced to resign.

I'm guessing Sweden is better, but you know better about that.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Good call, Swansman.

The UK is shagged until Truss is forced to resign.

I'm guessing Sweden is better, but you know better about that.

Well we have a party in our (upcoming) government coalition where most members were literally calling themselves nazis only some 20 years ago... so "better" in the moral sense, no. But I think our politicians are generally better at running a country properly in most ways.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Well we have a party in our (upcoming) government coalition where most members were literally calling themselves nazis only some 20 years ago... so "better" in the moral sense, no. But I think our politicians are generally better at running a country properly in most ways.

Both Peter and Peder Jr asked me to pass on their regards.

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014

Out of interest Swannie, what’s the Old Age Pension in Sweden, please. I ask because I am always gobbing off about our OAP being the lowest in Europe but haven’t actually checked! Do you know?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Allegedly shorting the pound and insider knowledge. Disaster capitalism. Small state.

I'm not sure how anyone could think it's an error of judgement on Kwarteng's part. Any economist worth their salt, as well as most laymen, could've called it. The warnings were there and the guy with a PHD in economic history went for it.

And it just so happens that his former boss, amongst others, made a mint. What's more, it'll create the necessary conditions to "force" the government to reduce spending. Occam's razor is pointing in one direction.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm not sure how anyone could think it's an error of judgement on Kwarteng's part. Any economist worth their salt, as well as most laymen, could've called it. The warnings were there and the guy with a PHD in economic history went for it.

And it just so happens that his former boss, amongst others, made a mint. What's more, it'll create the necessary conditions to "force" the government to reduce spending. Occam's razor is pointing in one direction.
What's the odds that Kwartang " retires " from politics after the next General Election but within3 years ends up in a plum City job counting paperclips ? ...oh, with a Ministerial pension to boot...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
What's the odds that Kwartang " retires " from politics after the next General Election but within3 years ends up in a plum City job counting paperclips ? ...oh, with a Ministerial pension to boot...

And the odd plum gig on the after dinner circuit as a “former chancellor”

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
And the odd plum gig on the after dinner circuit as a “former chancellor”
I wonder if the last Chancellor has bagged himself a job yet ? The second last one seems to be lying on a sofa smoking a ****ing great cigar and looking rather smug.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

If it's 1/20, it still mght be worth investing a couple of hundred quid on!

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I wonder if thick as mince Liz (but at least she's a white woman and not an ethnic minority as far as the blue rinse brigade of the Tory members are concerned) had any clue as to what sort of shitstorm Kwarteng was going to release?

Probably already up for an award as the worst Chancellor of the Exchequer of all time. If the Tories want to send anyone off to Ruanda ...........

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Out of interest Swannie, what’s the Old Age Pension in Sweden, please. I ask because I am always gobbing off about our OAP being the lowest in Europe but haven’t actually checked! Do you know?

Not an expert and don't know how it works in England.

Most part of most peoples pensions come from working, suppose it is the same over there. Here, an employer is required to pay somewhere around 30-35% of your monthly wage in taxes. Somewhere around 16% of them go to the fund the pensions of people who retired today. 2.5% of your salary will go to the premium pension, which is your own pension. If you're below a certain limit, you will get guarantee pension, which is about £900 a month - pretty low IMO, probably better in other Scandinavian countries.

The average pensioner in Sweden gets 15500 kr (ca £1250) or something like that per month.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I wonder if thick as mince Liz (but at least she's a white woman and not an ethnic minority as far as the blue rinse brigade of the Tory members are concerned) had any clue as to what sort of shitstorm Kwarteng was going to release?

Probably already up for an award as the worst Chancellor of the Exchequer of all time. If the Tories want to send anyone off to Ruanda ...........

She did. As I pointed out previously, they were co authors of the book Britannia Unchained in 2012, which outlines scenarios like the past week.
They are also past lovers.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not an expert and don't know how it works in England.

Most part of most peoples pensions come from working, suppose it is the same over there. Here, an employer is required to pay somewhere around 30-35% of your monthly wage in taxes. Somewhere around 16% of them go to the fund the pensions of people who retired today. 2.5% of your salary will go to the premium pension, which is your own pension. If you're below a certain limit, you will get guarantee pension, which is about £900 a month - pretty low IMO, probably better in other Scandinavian countries.

The average pensioner in Sweden gets 15500 kr (ca £1250) or something like that per month.
That's what I'm roughly getting per month while working.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Something tells me Truss won't last long...

[tweet]1575522731101245440[/tweet]

Royal funerals, Arsenal top of the league, Never Mind The Buzzcocks & Fantasy Football League on telly and now we're getting a Labour landslide. Is it the late 90s again?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That's what I'm roughly getting per month while working.

What do you do and is it full time? Would be very low for anyone working here, There are no minimum wages and 90% of all workers in both private and public companies in Sweden are in collective agreements, negotiated between employers (or their representers) and unions, deciding work hors, wages etc. The unions are very strong and keep salaries up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here