Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I was trying to point you in the right direction so you could understand what he was talking about (well, at least what I thought his point was based in but I may well be wrong). As I'm not advocating the theory myself, I didn't feel the need to type out an explanation. If you'd bothered to Google it, you would have found the names of those economists that support it as well as as a much longer list of those that refute it.

I did google it briefly. But it isn't up to a member of the audience to trawl the internet to assemble a list of economists who do or don't support a theory. It's up to the protagonist.

As the number of readers is likely to far outnumber the number of authors (on here there is only one), the benefit of providing supporting evidence when asked to do so, is clear and obvious.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I did google it briefly. But it isn't up to a member of the audience to trawl the internet to assemble a list of economists who do or don't support a theory.

**** me, this is northstandchat. Not a peer review group for fringe economic theories.

Own it, you criticised the wrong poster by mistake. We've all done it.

Not looking to extend my ignore list, but thank you.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I did google it briefly. But it isn't up to a member of the audience to trawl the internet to assemble a list of economists who do or don't support a theory. It's up to the protagonist.

As the number of readers is likely to far outnumber the number of authors (on here there is only one), the benefit of providing supporting evidence when asked to do so, is clear and obvious.

Trawl the internet? Just look at ****ing Wikipedia if it's something you're not familiar with.

The onus on me isn't to do anything. I was just trying to help you out :wozza:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I know what guilts are, of couse. I dont need to look anything up.They are a type of savings account run by the government to give rich people, private pension funds etc an income. Like taxation, the government does not need them to finance its spending. They are also used as a tool for monetary policy. They could probably be abolished altogether.

If you think that the government needs our money in the form of guilts, tax etc to fund its spending - where do you think we get the money to start with if not from the government. You do know its illegal to print your own money dont you?

Congratulations. One giant leap for mankind, from bollocks to total and utter bollocks

You wouldn't happen to be an economic advisor to Kwasi, would you :lolol:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Trawl the internet? Just look at ****ing Wikipedia if it's something you're not familiar with.

The onus on me isn't to do anything. I was just trying to help you out :wozza:

I wasn't asking you to do anything. I wasn't referring to you.
I was always referring to [MENTION=38012]BenGarfield[/MENTION], who claimed that many eminent economists agree with his analysis. Hold that thought.

However, reading back through the comments, I can see where the confusion arose. It's my fault. I could have been a lot clearer in post #2124. Then my attempt at clarification was too brief in #2127, and was probably taken as confirmation by you that I was referring to you in #2124. Lesson learned.

A bugbear of mine is that some people (not you) make a daft claim, and then fail to back it up with any supporting evidence. Now that you know this context, do you see that your advice to me to google the answer (which would normally be good advice), didn't actually help?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
**** me, this is northstandchat. Not a peer review group for fringe economic theories.

Own it, you criticised the wrong poster by mistake. We've all done it.

Not looking to extend my ignore list, but thank you.

I don't own things I didn't do, but the confusion is my fault.

I didn't criticise the wrong poster (see my previous post), but I can see why you thought I had. My comments were poorly worded.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Do you feel gilty for posting this?

I blame Health and Safety, the invention of fireguards, the demise of the open fire, the disappearance of concrete and tarmac in schools and playgrounds, the invention and mandatory use of seatbelts, safety lids on bleach, acids and poisons etc etc etc

Prior to all of this Darwinism was allowed to reign unfettered and the stupid genes were gradually being taken out of the Human species. Now look what's happened in the last few decades :wink:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I blame Health and Safety, the invention of fireguards, the demise of the open fire, the disappearance of concrete and tarmac in schools and playgrounds, the invention and mandatory use of seatbelts, safety lids on bleach, acids and poisons etc etc etc

Prior to all of this Darwinism was allowed to reign unfettered and the stupid genes were gradually being taken out of the Human species :wink:

Do you have any empirical evidence to back up these claims? A cabal of eminent economists perhaps?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's all going well on NSC this morning :facepalm:

Little change (from a devalued pound) there, then.

:lolol:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

Prior to all of this Darwinism was allowed to reign unfettered and the stupid genes were gradually being taken out of the Human species. Now look what's happened in the last few decades :wink:

Absolute genius. :facepalm:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Modern Monetary Theory is a fringe theory by a group of left wing economist who like the idea of infinite money without problems. its not accepted normal monetary theory as it fails to address how anything in real economies work, like inflation or debt markets. it pretends this model applies to sovereign currencies, like the Dollar, Sterling, but not the Euro. or any other currency throughout history, including pre gold standard Dollar and Sterling. its economist flat earth theory, an idea that attempts to explain the world differently, everyone knows is utter bollocks except a few that slavishly hold on.

This seems to be [MENTION=38012]BenGarfield[/MENTION]s “thing”. I quick look at his 138 posts and none are Albion or football related.

BenGarfield

Feb 22, 2019
crawley
Congratulations. One giant leap for mankind, from bollocks to total and utter bollocks

You wouldn't happen to be an economic advisor to Kwasi, would you :lolol:

Again, could you explain in a little more detail why you disagree with what I said. I`m really interested in learning from other people who might have greater knowledge in this area than I.

Oh - just a few of the economists etc in reply to your earlier post:- Professor Stephahie Kelton, Warren Mosler, Professor Randall Wray, Professor William Mitchell, Professor Marrtin Watts, Richard Murphy, Professor Steve Keen, Pavlina Tcherneva, Dr Dirk Ehnts, Professor James Galbreath, Dr Phil Armstrong, Professor John T Harvey, Professor Phil Lawn, Professor Eric Tymoigne, Professor Asad Zaman, Professor Fadhel Kaboub, Professor Robert Hockett, Dr Sam levey, Brian Romanchuck, Agustin Mario, Dr Steven Hale

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Again, could you explain in a little more detail why you disagree with what I said. I`m really interested in learning from other people who might have greater knowledge in this area than I.

Oh - just a few of the economists etc in reply to your earlier post:- Professor Stephahie Kelton, Warren Mosler, Professor Randall Wray, Professor William Mitchell, Professor Marrtin Watts, Richard Murphy, Professor Steve Keen, Pavlina Tcherneva, Dr Dirk Ehnts, Professor James Galbreath, Dr Phil Armstrong, Professor John T Harvey, Professor Phil Lawn, Professor Eric Tymoigne, Professor Asad Zaman, Professor Fadhel Kaboub, Professor Robert Hockett, Dr Sam levey, Brian Romanchuck, Agustin Mario, Dr Steven Hale
None of whom have the faintest idea what they are talking about.

BenGarfield

Feb 22, 2019
crawley
This seems to be [MENTION=38012]BenGarfield[/MENTION]s “thing”. I quick look at his 138 posts and none are Albion or football related.

Not entirely true - but mostly I agree. As an economics student, I find this forum is an excellent way of testing my own ideas, and learning from others

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

And these are the economists who think the Government doesn't need tax in order to fund spending and that they could abolish Gilts altogether, are they ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here