Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The UK government doesnt have to "borrow" anything to pay for public services as it is the issuer of the pound. Taxes are there to ensure a demand for the currency and amongst other things, depending on the political flavour of the government, ensure equity, and to promote other desirible behaviour - e.g. tax on cigarettes and alcohol. Taxes are not required for funding public expenditure.

This is Bollocks.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You mean people claiming you don't know when your own school went comprehensive :dunce:

That sort of thing :lolol:

No, not really :shrug:

:wink:

(It was after I'd left so I don't really give a monkeys. Blatchington Mill, my arse.)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
windfall tax, pay that to the suppliers so that everyones bill is the same as last winter

ok, covered £8bn. now, what about the other 52bn?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
This thread is much wider than Truss. I much preferred the thread title of 'Tory Meltdown' which we had for Johnson....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Never quite understood what losing the whip means and why it disadvantages the MP in question. Anyone?

It means you're expelled from the party, I believe. Thus cannot stand as a Tory again unless you regain it.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Oh why? Can you elaborate - because there are many eminent economists and finance professionals who would agree with my analysis and would really like to learn from you as to why they are so fundamentaly mistaken.

Which eminent economists and finance professionals would they be then? Name, role, institution?

How did you find out they would like to learn from [MENTION=23343]Baldseagull[/MENTION] why they are so mistaken, in the 25 minutes since his reply to you? Have you got them all on speed dial?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
For as long as we remain out of the single market our economy will continue to shrink. There is a reason sensible people didn’t wish to leave.
The trouble is that the Anti-Growth Coalition of the Tory ERG took us out of the SM, and holed growth below the waterline.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Which eminent economists and finance professionals would they be then? Name, role, institution?

How did you find out they would like to learn from [MENTION=23343]Baldseagull[/MENTION] why they are so mistaken, in the 25 minutes since his reply to you? Have you got them all on speed dial?

Google Modern Monetary Theory.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Mate of mine owns a small cafe/deli here in our village. His electric company have told them their new rates are as follows Cost per unit - up from 20p to £1.13 / Standing Charge - up from 78p per day to £4. On their average use that is an increase of £1650 a month. He is now seriously considering closing the doors. Thousands of SME's all over the country are being faced with this. That is Truss's growth plan in action right there.

That's really sad. My heart goes out to people in that position. High streets are suffering as it is.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This will kill off so many small businesses and boost the revenue of chains, Ocado, Amazon etc.

That’s the growth Tory’s want to see.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
This seems…an odd fight to pick…

[tweet]1578456156778872832[/tweet]

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Oh why? Can you elaborate - because there are many eminent economists and finance professionals who would agree with my analysis and would really like to learn from you as to why they are so fundamentaly mistaken.

Just look up Gilts. Then look up National debt, and Budget defecit and if you really want to humiliate go and ask an eminent economist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here