Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Living on £1 a day

Jul 20, 2003
Firstly it seems something of a coincidence that the extreme poverty line is exactly £1

Anyway here's some ideas

go fishing

go rock pooling

go rabbiting

collect wild veg e.g. saw some sea kale growing down by the Volks railway the other day ... treat like cabbage (needs a good rinse) but the young leaves are quite nice

you can find rosemary all over the place

be easier to do the £1 challenge later in the year when there's more of a variety of stuff about.

Thing is, if you're going to live on £1 a day you should have the entire day to spend foraging and with a bit of knowledge and a little luck you could eat quite well ..... IF you can't spend the entire day foraging because you have to go to work then it's only sensible to use the money you earn from going to work to not have to live on £1 per day. Anyway good luck.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Sainsburys basic/Asda smart price will sort you out, also, you can get some very cheap veg at super markets if you go there close to the end of the day, working at sainsburys I was always reducing vast amounts of fresh veg down to massively cheap prices to get rid of them. Sainsburys on New England street reduce produce around 5-6pm for a heads up, no guarantees though.

Jul 20, 2003
here's another ..... on Saturday I picked up about 8oz of discounted sweetbreads in Waitrose for 19p and they were bloody delicious

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
At one point my food bill at uni was £5 a week.

I did a £20 month shop and managed it.

breakfast - porridge oats and water. nothing else.

lunch - Value pasta, tomato paste, value sausages cut up and fried.

Dinner - Omelette with value eggs.

I currently own a pizza stone and we make out own pizzas. Just flour and water. We reckon the base costs us about 20p a pop. We have bought Mozarella from the wholesale outlet and put about 10'ps worth of tomato paste on. Cheap meal and a little dough(excuse the pun) goes a LONG way.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Sainsburys basic/Asda smart price will sort you out, also, you can get some very cheap veg at super markets if you go there close to the end of the day, working at sainsburys I was always reducing vast amounts of fresh veg down to massively cheap prices to get rid of them. Sainsburys on New England street reduce produce around 5-6pm for a heads up, no guarantees though.

Thats a good tip. I used to set my alarm (when at uni) for 3am. I would then walk to Asda and get the chickens that they were throwing out. They had been on the shelf that day and were perfectly fine.

Roast the chicken, loads of meat.
Boil down the carcass. Makes a stock for soup.

Lovely.

Jul 20, 2003
if a particularly low tide coincides with the 5 days you could go for razor clams ... they're lovely, I could happily have them for dinner a few days running

Correct, making it a somewhat pointless exercise IMO.

well, like I said i'm NOT asking for sponsors on here, 'I'm just one of those consumptive bastards that'll think nothing of spending £2.50 in Costa, A fiver in Subway and then then in the evening the 3 of us will have a dinner that must have cost eight quid, so i'm gonna try something and if my friends want to whip round and donate a 'pointless' £100 for Christian Aid all well and good.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Shame you couldn't,t get some cheap amphetamines for that fiver. That would get you through the five days.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
These unfortunately-named little beauties fill a gap & they're so cheap that even Mr Shah sells them at three packets for a pound. Good choice of flavours too.

Koka-Oriental-Noodles-Stir-Fried-Noodles-Big.gif

Gwm

Oct 25, 2011
Tesco were doing pot noodles for 50 p the other day

Not sure if the offers still on.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My wife does not like fish because her dad used to go and put lay lines down at low tide then go back the next low tide to pick up the fish attached to it so they had fish nearly every day for dinner in the winter, not sure that you are allowed to put lay lines down during the summer.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
These unfortunately-named little beauties fill a gap & they're so cheap that even Mr Shah sells them at three packets for a pound. Good choice of flavours too.

Koka-Oriental-Noodles-Stir-Fried-Noodles-Big.gif

You're not the teenage who bought six packs the other Saturday morning prompting Mr Shah Jnr to tell me all about how that must be all you eat you get through so many?

kugrian

Apr 17, 2012
Wholemeal bread at Morrison's - 60p
Bag of potatos - £1 at Tesco or Adsa
Wafer thin ham - £1 at Tesco or Asda
1k bag of porridge - 99p at Morrisons
8 oranges - £1 at Morrisons

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Can I ask which poverty line this challenge is supposed to mimic?

If it's developing nations then the challenge is essentially floored because food in those countries is much cheaper and it should take into account the difference in local prices. You can get nice food on the street in most of Asia for about 10p.

If it's this country I would suggest getting your shittest clothes and a manky dog, then begging outside Brighton station for a few hours and you should easily have enough for a few bacon rolls and a takeaway curry or chinese every night.

Jul 20, 2003
If you are living on the extreme poverty line does it mean that you can only play games on a sega megadrive?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Also, I just looked at that website and the lads in Sierra Leone have a boat and some fishing nets. Why dont you go fishing and then you could eat some of the catch and trade part of it for rice, surely that would be more realistic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here