Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Living in Liverpool

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Fantastic place - a friend of mine was standing at a bus stop and some bloke started chatting to her. As part of the conversation she said that she was moving house and was having trouble finding a cheap removal firm. he said that he had a van, give him a call when she knew when she was moving and he'd do it. She thought he was joking but when she couldn't find a cheap firm she called him on the off-chance. he and his brother moved the stuf for them and when she asked how much he said "Don't worry about it, it's a favour. We're used to looking after each other up here". His generosity didn't extend to a rather large woman walking past at one point wearing a Liverpool shirt. He shouted "Oi love, is that Jan Molby's shirt!"

They are top, top people. Really friendly. With regards to the recent years, Liverpool has been regenerated out of recognition partly veacause of 2008 City of Culture status. It has taken some of the life out of the city centre but there's still an atmosphere if you go to the right places. i agree Manchester has more nightlife and it always has had. But for me Liverpool will always be a unique and vibrant place.
Amate of mine was in the tourist information office in liverpool with his girlfriend looking up hotels , a scouser also in there (who had never met him before)told him ' dont worry mate you can stay at mine' and promptly handed him house keys , gave him the adress and said see you after xxxxx (whatever concert my mate was going to), unbelievable place , fantastic people.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Like I say it is a great place to live, I could list the benefits but for starters how many people can leave the house at 8:40, drop your wife at work, kids at school and get to work yourself for 9, beats a 2 hour commute to London any day. The locals are funny and friendly and there are plenty of Brighton away matches to go to!

and your point is? working close to your place of work is possible in any city, town or village in the entire world!

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
My point is that in Liverpool it is v easy to get from A to B because it's not over crowded like London or other big towns or cities, especially during rush hour, but my main point of the thread is that I just wanted people to know that Liverpool is a great place to live and be an Albion supporter. In a bit kidda! (scouse for see you later mate)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yep. Lived there for 4 years, as a student and afterwards.
Many happy memories.
The people are like anywhere else - there's some great folk and there's some scum.
Its changed a lot since the early 90's when I was there though - loads of redevelopment. the shops are top notch there now, if you're in to that kind of thing.

Oh - and my university lectures were mostly in a nasty 60's block called 'Byron Street' which was on Scotland Road. It's completely the other side of the city, from my route home, through Toxteth. He we established that? :thumbsup:

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
My point is that in Liverpool it is v easy to get from A to B because it's not over crowded like London or other big towns or cities, especially during rush hour, but my main point of the thread is that I just wanted people to know that Liverpool is a great place to live and be an Albion supporter. In a bit kidda! (scouse for see you later mate)

fair dos. glad to hear life is rosy for you.
up the albion!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I've never lived there but I've worked there from time to time and have to say there are plenty of worse places to work, much prefer it to other Northern cities I've worked in.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Go 20 miles up the coast. Southport. The home of some fantastic golf clubs, great nightlife (ask Stevie G) and a wonderful beach. Most of the Liverpool/Everton players (and ex players such as Dalgliesh, Lawro, Hansen) live there

I REALLY want them away in the FA Cup.

Cheshire

Jul 20, 2003
1066 Country
CaptainDave - have just moved from Liverpool and agree that the city has a lot going for it nowadays and to live there through the European City of Culture year was a great experience. However, not sure it is that great to be an Albion supporter living in Liverpool. Sure as you say you can get with ease to all the Northern matches (do not think the Northern folk realise how fortunate they are with the Motorway and road network they have - really miss that in Hastings!) and most of them do know their football and respect you for supporting to them such an obscure team. But home is home, and to be honest there is still nothing like being a Sussex based Albion supporter - and the nearer to Brighton that can be the better.

That said thank goodness for the Internet trying to follow the Albion before the mid-late 90's was a nightmare for getting news. Now it is so easy to live away and keep up to date with all things Albion.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
My dad's a scouser and grew up in the nice area of Wavertree. A lot of my childhood memories are of going up to Liverpool for weekends to see relatives in the late eighties. There was obviously a lot of problems around that time - high unemployment, the Heysel/Hillsborough tragedies but the friendliness of Liverpool people is fondly remembered.

I love Manchester as well. My sister was at university up there and the nightlife is incredible. Going out at weekends is made more of a big thing compared to anywhere in the south. Some of what the girls wore made my eyes pop out!

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
Whole family is from Liverpool and most still based there, and it's good to read such positives comments :)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Mmm, I had an opposite experience; everyone was trying to sell me things. One random came up to me in the street and tried to sell me CDs of 'Ibiza and Aya Napa stuff.'. When I sat in a pub I got offered razor blades, toothbrushes and toothpaste and a mate popped off to Burger King and a bloke tried to sell him a pair of jeans.

But I agree Manc has had a lot more going for it now and in recent years. In fact what is going on in Liverpool these days?

Yes they would come into one of my dads shops (st chads parade) and try and sell you anything as you say....

Opposite his shop was a jewellery shop and one day a guy walked upto the window with a plastic bag, looked about pulled out a brick took a few steps back and threw the brick at the window. The brick bounced off the window, he picked up the brick put it into his bag :shrug: and calmly walked away :shrug:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Totally correct - it's miles away. Scotty Road is in Vauxhall.

toxteth - Google Maps

My scouse mates tell me that true scousers never say Toxteth - it's always Liverpool 8 to natives.

Have to agree that Liverpool is a great place - been there many times, Anfield is probably my most visited away ground after Selhurst.

I lived in Liverpool for 14 years and most people called Toxteth 'Tocky' if that'd how you spell it. Wonderful place if you like cities, I hated it as I love the south coast. The worst thing about it which people seem to have overlooked is the poor climate.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I also went to Liverpool Uni. Never really been back until about a month ago. Had a great weekend. Stayed at the time warp that is the Adelphi, which was hosting FOUR full on Scouse weddings on the Saturday. :eek: Wandered around some of the old haunts - Everyman Bistro, the Casa. Went to the Museum of Slavery (highly recommended) and the Tate (ditto) at the Albert Dock. Shed a small tear that Lewis's has closed, presumably because everyone now makes a beeline for the new shops

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Yes Tocky is right or Liverpool 8, I like the people and love the city although I love the country life too. Anglesea is not far away and is like a mini Cornwall for surfers and the Lake District is a stunning part of the country for a weekend break. But in many ways there is no place like good old Sussex by the sea and just seeing your profile pic makes me think of the 14th tee at Seaford head golf course! Happy days!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
14th? I thought it was the 18th! My mistake.

I am amazed by how many Brighton fans have some kind of connexion to Liverpool. My first memory of the city was traveling thru on the way to our league cup match in 1990 (?) When Byrne and Small, not trip mention Crumplin, inspired the Albion to a memorable draw. The atmosphere that day was one of tter best I've ever witnessed. I won't forget the Liverpool supporters all applauding our fans after the match ended. Generous and knowledgeable footie fans in that part of the world.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
14th? I thought it was the 18th! My mistake.

I am amazed by how many Brighton fans have some kind of connexion to Liverpool. My first memory of the city was traveling thru on the way to our league cup match in 1990 (?) When Byrne and Small, not trip mention Crumplin, inspired the Albion to a memorable draw. The atmosphere that day was one of tter best I've ever witnessed. I won't forget the Liverpool supporters all applauding our fans after the match ended. Generous and knowledgeable footie fans in that part of the world.

Your avatar is my screensaver :thumbsup: As Yosser Hughes would say "Gissa a screensaver" :wink:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Your avatar is my screensaver :thumbsup: As Yosser Hughes would say "Gissa a screensaver" :wink:

:lolol:

That picture is one of the top reasons I missed Sussex, especially being a Seaford lad originally. Can't beat Sussex by the sea whether it be the Regency splendor of Brighton, the magnificent Seven Sisters and Beachy Head, the quiet charm of Eastbourne seafront or the wonderful beaches of Camber and Littlehampton, to name just a few places. As far as can be, I regard Sussex as a piece off heaven on earth.....:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here