Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think Liverpool right now is an impossible job for any manager.

It would have been difficult for Liverpool to fight for a Top 4 spot with a resurgent Sours under Redknapp, but throw Man City into the mix and the Scousers can forget about Champions League football for this season.

Henry has said:“In Boston we’ve gone toe-to-toe with the New York Yankees, which is the same as going toe-to-toe with Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea.”

This was a bad mistake because although he didn't actually say it the media's twisted this as saying he sees Liverpool going toe to toe with Man Utd. It keeps fans expectations artificially high in the short-term, which loads the pressure on Hodgson.

In order to recover and rebuild there needs to be a frank admission as to where the club actually is, and when the manager is buying the likes of Paul Konchesky that place is certainly not Champions League.

Leeds Utd's failure to accept their actual status had disastrous consequences, ditto Newcastle. Liverpool have to be honest and say their goal is a cup trophy and cut their cloth, but their pride will preclude this so I expect more pain to follow.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm loving that we're starting to hear that immortal phrase;

"We're too good to go down."

Newcastle fans were saying that right until the fateful day it happened. PLEASE keep saying that Liverpool fans, please keep believing its a false position your woeful side is in.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This was a bad mistake because although he didn't actually say it the media's twisted this as saying he sees Liverpool going toe to toe with Man Utd. It keeps fans expectations artificially high in the short-term, which loads the pressure on Hodgson.

I can see Man U going the same way as Liverpool in a season or so. In the early 70s they were relegated when an ageing side couldn't cope with the retirement of a long-serving manager. And that time the club didn't have to cope with asset-stripping owners and an £800m debt. It's not deffo going to happen but it's certainly not impossible that Man U could implode in the same way - perhaps that's what henry meant

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think Liverpool right now is an impossible job for any manager.

It would have been difficult for Liverpool to fight for a Top 4 spot with a resurgent Sours under Redknapp, but throw Man City into the mix and the Scousers can forget about Champions League football for this season.

Henry has said:“In Boston we’ve gone toe-to-toe with the New York Yankees, which is the same as going toe-to-toe with Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea.”

In order to recover and rebuild there needs to be a frank admission as to where the club actually is, and when the manager is buying the likes of Paul Konchesky that place is certainly not Champions League.

Leeds Utd's failure to accept their actual status had disastrous consequences, ditto Newcastle. Liverpool have to be honest and say their goal is a cup trophy and cut their cloth, but their pride will preclude this so I expect more pain to follow.
I think that's a very good point. Liverpool should accept that the best case scenario for them for the next season or so isn't to challenge Chelsea, Arsenal or Man City but more the likes of Aston Villa and Everton, i.e the 'top of the rest'. If they can accept being a well-run, top-ten club for a season or so whilst they rebuild then they can perhaps move on from there. If they think they've got some God-given right to be one of the best sides in Europe just because they used to be good then the additional pressure may well sink them - regardless of the reputation of whatever poor sod happens to be the manager. In some ways it's a bit like the English national side.

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
im happy to have liverpool at the Amex next season :)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think Liverpool have got a lot of goodwill in football circles, partly because of the way the club's been run from the Shankly era to 2007.

The fans know good football when they see it, and they also know bad football too, which is why they have to accept that, in the short-term at least, they're not challenging at the top level.

It will be interesting to see how things pan out with their fans now they're really in the shit for the first time in 50-odd years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here