Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It IS brilliant - but sadly I don't think it will last. The thing I find hard to understand is there have been a couple of posts on here from people, Brighton fans, who say they feel 'sorry' for Liverpool. How on earth can you feel 'sorry' for them? They've had their turn on the top of the mountain and if Liverpool's decline is more than just a temporary blip then it's BRILLIANT for football. In the past we've all just assumed that the Big Four were set in stone, untouchable, and the best anyone else could do was finish fifth. Now maybe, just maybe, one of these empires is going to fall and someone else will get a chance at the top table.

Hopefully Man U will follow suit, there are a few cracks appearing there as well *crosses fingers*.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Like a few on here,I remember football before the Premier League.I remember the Albion getting in to the 2nd division,where we met Liverpool several times before our paths diverged.I remember Manchester United in the second division,albeit just for one season.And I remember long years and several managers at Old Trafford when virtually nothing was won.

Nothing lasts forever.

Have to say in those days there seemed to be a lot more commonality amongst supporters of all clubs,punctuated by outbreaks of hostilities!

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Surely there's some sympathy towards the proper fans though? Their club was sold to some cowboy who nearly put them in administration. And isn't it good to see the quotes from Hicks saying he now has been swindled and attacked by 'Internet terrorists'. He couldn't handle the scousers and good on them.
As for where they are in the league I have little sympathy for Roy, he's taken on too big a job for him.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Surely there's some sympathy towards the proper fans though?

Not really no. Many clubs have been in far worse situations, and you know, sooner or later, Liverpool will be "back".

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Surely there's some sympathy towards the proper fans though? ....
No. Why? They've got the memories of all their triumphs to sustain them. Having 'sympathy' for them is like having sympathy for a bully who's had to stop hitting you because his arms are tired.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
How on earth can you feel 'sorry' for them? They've had their turn on the top of the mountain and if Liverpool's decline is more than just a temporary blip then it's BRILLIANT for football.

Yes, yes, a thousand times YES :clap2:

How good was it for the Championship when Newcastle went down? How much more fun is it in League One when clubs who think it's beneath them end up there? Leeds, Wednesday, Forest, Charlton, Southampton, Man City, Leicester, all have done their time or still are.

It's what makes the game fun, life would be a bit dull if you only played Yeovil or Rochdale every week.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
No. Why? They've got the memories of all their triumphs to sustain them. Having 'sympathy' for them is like having sympathy for a bully who's had to stop hitting you because his arms are tired.

Ooo you lot are harsh.
I was sympathetic to their problems with Hicks but now they've new owners I've no sympathy with their current team. They're just playing really badly.
Question is, will Dalglish be their messiah or their Keegan.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
You can't help where you come from though. I was born in Kent so by rights should be a Gillingham fan, but I hope nobody holds that against me here.

Same here. Born on the Isle of Sheppey but had a Sussex born Dad shrewd enough not to take me to matches until we moved to Sussex when I was eight. Hooked for life. Thanks Dad!

Also feel that Man Utd could be in for some tough times if they don't bag a trophy in the next couple of years, as the debt will start to tell.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Not really no. Many clubs have been in far worse situations, and you know, sooner or later, Liverpool will be "back".

doalanpb.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
To be fair , its too big a job for ANYONE,he was manager of inter milan at one point wasnt e? so he's no stranger to a big club and fan's expectations.

I was about to post exactly the same thing. He's been manager of one of the biggest clubs in Europe and two national sides so he's scarcely some hick from the sticks.

I think Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley would have struggled at the current Liverpool TBH

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Rafa hid behind that fluke 2005 CL win for years, but ever since basically he squandered shedloads of money, bought worse players than were leaving, and totally f**ked up the club. Throw in a stadium that is light years behind what is needed to compete in revenue terms, and basically if Gerrard and Torres have got any sense they'll leave in January.

Like others, I feel sorry for Hodgson. He's inherited an almighty mess, and he is also clever enough to know that when the pressure comes (as it is right now) you are NEVER secure, whatever is said, if you weren't the owner's choice. A chairman will always be more loyal to someone they themselves selected.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
If you look at his list of clubs he managed Inter was definitely his peak over 10 years ago.
I think his appointment was just to stabilise the club while the ownership was sorted. He's not done very well. If he turns it around I'll be amazed.

I didn't know he was a Palace trainee.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ooo you lot are harsh.
I was sympathetic to their problems with Hicks but now they've new owners I've no sympathy with their current team. They're just playing really badly.
Question is, will Dalglish be their messiah or their Keegan.

It's madness that they're all flocking to Dalglish as if he's the new Messiah.

By the time he left Liverpool first time around they'd already started to decline anyway, and that was in the early 1990s. They haven't won the title since 1990. When Dalglish was in charge, he had a load of his old mates in the team, and they were still on a glorious roll from their 1980s success. He couldn't do a thing wrong. By the time all his cronies started to retire- Hansen, Lawrenson, Whelan, Rush- he no longer had the same influence, and was just another surly Scotsman.

He's been out of football for years, failed at Newcastle and was dreadful at Celtic. His only other success was at Blackburn, at a time when they had money far above and beyond what the other clubs had.

I just cannot see modern players responding to Dalglish. Yes, he's a Liverpool hero, but plenty of idols as players have failed as managers. I think he's deluded if he thinks he can just step back in.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Im not so sure. He has the respect of current players and I think he'd get them out of the mess they're in. Whether he's a long term answer I'm not so sure.
Dalglish for 18 months then Mourinho, you've heard it here first.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Im not so sure. He has the respect of current players and I think he'd get them out of the mess they're in. Whether he's a long term answer I'm not so sure.
Dalglish for 18 months then Mourinho, you've heard it here first.

Mourinho wants to come back to England, and he can have his pick of United or Liverpool. It will come down to timing. Liverpool's problem is they need him now, and he he isn't available now. United might need him in 18 months, when he could be available. And since succeeding Fergie is pretty much the biggest challenge any incoming manager has ever faced, that will appeal to his ego - that ONLY he could do it.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Mourinho and Fergie are supposedly thick as thieves. I honestly can't see Jose ending up at Liverpool. If they could arrange the timing right, I'd say he's got to be nailed on for the United job.

Albumen- I'm just not sure that Dalglish would have the current players' respect. He hasn't been involved for years, and the likes of Torres would have little knowledge of his previous successes. Gerrard and Carragher, fine, but not Kyrgiakos or Skrtel or any of their other crap European rejects. I just think they'd go "Who's this old fart?" and carry on as they have been. Football is very different to when Dalglish was last in charge.

That said, I've love to see him try, hopefully he'd accelerate their plumment towards the Championship in spectacular style :clap2:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Mourinho and Fergie are supposedly thick as thieves. I honestly can't see Jose ending up at Liverpool. If they could arrange the timing right, I'd say he's got to be nailed on for the United job.

Alex Ferguson has already said that he wants David Moyes to be his successor. Unless he has a spectacular falling out with the owners, I reckon Taggart will have a lot of say in the matter.

I do agree that the Dalglish would be out of his depth at Liverpool, he hasn't been a manager for 10 years and, I agree with you that he was over-rated when he was manager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here