Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool in fresh boycott

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Pasted...

We are currently urging all Liverpool fans, particularly those based in USA to boycott the Fox Soccer Channel’s “Fox Football Fone-In” show following comments made by one of it’s presenters on Tuesday’s show.

Co-presenter and Chelsea fan Steven Cohen accused Liverpool fans of “directly causing the worst two disasters in English football history.” He went on to say that he’s sick of Liverpool fans ramming their success down his throat and that “there’s a disgusting side of Liverpool’s history that I’ll be happy to talk about.”

Cohen was of course relating to the Hillsborough and Heysel disasters, and apparently this it not the first time he has made such slanderous and ill-informed comments on national television. Seemingly he ‘joked’ Liverpool should have 39 coffins on their badge to go with the 5 stars.

Cohen’s comments were aired live to a nation which is being educated about the game of soccer and particularly about the history of the English game. Most of it’s audience would be young Americans wanting to learn about English teams and their traditions - unfortunately many will instantly tarnish the Liverpool name due to Cohen’s comments.

We have written to the show, and Fox Television for which it is broadcast and are yet to receive any reply. We hope they will take action and remove this ‘presenter’ from his prime time TV slot where he continually mis-leads his easily lead audience.

We urge all Liverpool fans to email fff@foxsoccer.com and Feedback@foxsports.com with your comments, particularly those based in the USA and who may have seen this particular show or any others with Cohen.

For more details on this, and to share your thoughts, click here.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
How can Liverpool fans be held responsible for the selling of the Goldstone ???

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Fox Soccer Channel is great, bunch of right wing nutters preaching dross about the game.

good on 'em:clap: :lolol:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
dwayne said:
Fox Soccer Channel is great, bunch of right wing nutters preaching dross about the game.

good on 'em:clap: :lolol:
Sounds like Talksport! :)

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I can't see how he can get into too much trouble saying that about Heysel. They did cause it, unless you believe the stuff about it all being London fans, for which there is no solid evidence. Talk to a true Everton fan, they're still very bitter that Liverpool fans rioting denied their best ever team the opportunity to take part in the European Cup.

This presenter is obviously on very dodgy ground re Hillsborough, which was a different sort of tragedy.

In any case, if he made them on air, it's (potentially) libellous, and not slanderous.

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
"Cohen’s comments were aired live to a nation which is being educated about the game of soccer and particularly about the history of the English game. Most of it’s audience would be young Americans wanting to learn about English teams and their traditions - unfortunately many will instantly tarnish the Liverpool name due to Cohen’s comments"

Oh yeah, cos I bet BILLIONS of Americans were watching at that very moment, just eager to learn about the great history of Liverpool FC.

FFS, it's not as though those comments were aired to a massive audience is it, nor will it have a shred of influence on a nation which by and large doesn't give a shit about football.

There are plenty of people all over the world who would blame Liverpool fans for Heysel, but everyone gets swept along in the "haven't they got great fans" myth. Imagine if it had been Millwall fans who caused that tragedy- the club would probably still be paying now.

Hardly seems worth boycotting the channel for (for all the difference that'll make). It's not Fox that tarnished Liverpool over Heysel, it's Liverpool fans.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
edna krabappel said:
"Cohen’s comments were aired live to a nation which is being educated about the game of soccer and particularly about the history of the English game. Most of it’s audience would be young Americans wanting to learn about English teams and their traditions - unfortunately many will instantly tarnish the Liverpool name due to Cohen’s comments"

Oh yeah, cos I bet BILLIONS of Americans were watching at that very moment, just eager to learn about the great history of Liverpool FC.

FFS, it's not as though those comments were aired to a massive audience is it, nor will it have a shred of influence on a nation which by and large doesn't give a shit about football.

There are plenty of people all over the world who would blame Liverpool fans for Heysel, but everyone gets swept along in the "haven't they got great fans" myth. Imagine if it had been Millwall fans who caused that tragedy- the club would probably still be paying now.

Hardly seems worth boycotting the channel for (for all the difference that'll make). It's not Fox that tarnished Liverpool over Heysel, it's Liverpool fans.

Yeah and Ron Atkinson shouldn't have been sacked from ITV because Marcel Desailly was infact lazy, thick and a ******. :shootself

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
He has a point if you ask me.

Liverpool fans like to be portrade as whiter than white when they are anything but.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I thought it was a FACT that Liverpool fans have never ever done anything wrong and they are just really funny, down to earth supporters?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Lammy said:
He has a point if you ask me.

Liverpool fans like to be portrade as whiter than white when they are anything but.
Do they? I've not seen that.

They've misbehaved atrociously, as at Heysel where they murdered 39 people, and have also seen the dead appallingly libelled by the police and the press, as at Hillsborough. None of which stops Murdoch's Fox existing for wankers by wankers. I can't believe they're not above using an American television station to get some revenge for the Sun having massively screwed up over Hillsborough. But there we are.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Man of Harveys said:
Do they? I've not seen that.

They've misbehaved atrociously, as at Heysel where they murdered 39 people, and have also seen the dead appallingly libelled by the police and the press, as at Hillsborough. None of which stops Murdoch's Fox existing for wankers by wankers. I can't believe they're not above using an American television station to get some revenge for the Sun having massively screwed up over Hillsborough. But there we are.

We're in danger of going into a MASSIVE Hillsborough heated debate here.

My two peneth;

Hillsborough - Whilst I agree the entire situation was created by piss poor policing, the FACT of the matter remains that it was Liverpool fans WITHOUT TICKETS that caused the crush. They have to accept at least a portion of the blame. I also don't condone the appaulling comments in the Sun afterwards. This does not give them licence to wash there hands of any responsibility.

Heysel - No doubt this was caused by Liverpool fans. End of. It happened just as there 5 European wins happened. You can't just brush one under the carpet to suit you.

Millwall - A club trying to draw itself out of a bad reputation, making excellent strides forward IMHO. Liverpool visit a couple of years back and it all kicks off.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Lammy said:

My two peneth;

Hillsborough - Whilst I agree the entire situation was created by piss poor policing, the FACT of the matter remains that it was Liverpool fans WITHOUT TICKETS that caused the crush. They have to accept at least a portion of the blame. I also don't condone the appaulling comments in the Sun afterwards. This does not give them licence to wash there hands of any responsibility.

Who ever said they had?

Lammy said:
Heysel - No doubt this was caused by Liverpool fans. End of. It happened just as there 5 European wins happened. You can't just brush one under the carpet to suit you.[/B]

Whoever said that wasn't the case or "brushed anything under the carpet"? I haven't and I haven't seen many accounts of Liverpool fans doing the same. I think that, Daily Mail-style, you're tilting at windmills. Bit weird.

Lammy said:
Millwall - A club trying to draw itself out of a bad reputation, making excellent strides forward IMHO. Liverpool visit a couple of years back and it all kicks off. [/B]
Yes, Millwall are all lovely and cuddly now. If Millwall fans are behaving marginally better, it's because there's a lot fewer of them these days because they're shit.

Last edited:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Lammy said:

My two peneth;

No it wasn't. The fatal crush was caused by the gates being opened outside the stadium allowing thousands of fans into an already full area of the ground. This was on police orders. No accountability lies with Liverpool fans.

Lammy said:
Heysel - No doubt this was caused by Liverpool fans. End of. It happened just as there 5 European wins happened. You can't just brush one under the carpet to suit you.

Tickets were sold to Juventus fans in the neutral area next to the Liverpool contingent. A large proportion of whom were there for aggro as much as Liverpool were.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Who ever said they hadn't?

If they are taking some of the blame then they are yet to make me aware of it. Which indicates that any apology is being whispered.

Whoever said that wasn't the case or "brushed anything under the carpet"? I haven't and I haven't seen many accounts of Liverpool fans doing the same. I think that, Daily Mail-style, you're tilting at windmills. Bit weird.

Surely this whole boycott is evidence of this type of attitude?

Yes, Millwall are all lovely and cuddly now. If Millwall fans are behaving marginally better, it's because there's a lot fewer of them these days because they're shit.

Not lovely and cuddly by any strtch of the imagination, BUT the club have made huge steps forward in teh right direction. Millwall away is a safe and enjoyable experience these days.

Last edited:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
jonny.rainbow said:
No it wasn't. The fatal crush was caused by the gates being opened outside the stadium allowing thousands of fans into an already full area of the ground. This was on police orders. No accountability lies with Liverpool fans.

Well why did they do that?

To try and relieve a dangerous situation outside the ground of liverpool fans trying to get in. The police were worried about the liverpool fans kicking off outside and so STUPIDLY let them in the ground when it was already full. Obviously the liverpool fans making their way into the ground were unaware it was already full as it is very difficult to tell the difference between a full stand and an empty one so they pilled in anyway.

Don't get me wrong I place 80% of the blame at the feet of the police. BUT liverpool fans were involved too.

WestStandLad

Jan 28, 2004
Sussex
Don't be a prick Buzzer. If Brighton had lost 96 fans at a football match do you not think the pain would still run deep? Or is your attitude "f*** it, it was someone else". To say that a city should forgive and forget after a national newspaper printed "They pissed on the dead and attacked medical staff" is beyond ridiculous.

As for it being ticket less fans that caused the disaster.. I think you're being slightly naive Lammy...

You're queuing up to watch the Seagulls in an FA Cup Semi-final with only two turnstiles open and the time is 3:00pm. Suddenly the gates open. What are you going to do? Stand and wait knowing you're probably half an hour from the turnstile? Or get through the gate into the terrace ASAP?

Horrific policing caused Hillsborough and the people responsible got away with it. It could have been any set of fans that day. You, me, your family, my family. No one has been charged and on top of that The Scum newspaper added the greatest insult you could ever imagine. I'd say a "Chelsea supporting" yank spouting 16 year old lies deserves a shoeing just like that horrible, odious c*** McKenzie.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Lammy said:
Who ever said they hadn't?

If they are taking some of the blame then they are yet to make me aware of it. Wish indicates that any apology is being whispered.

I understood that there have been massive efforts at reconciliation between the two clubs since. Which will, I guess always be wasted on those too small-minded to move on but they've been made nonetheless. Who exactly is meant to apologise to whom in order to accept "guilt" on the part of of whom? Utterly oversimplistic and unrealistic bullshit.
Lammy said:
Surely this whole boycott is evidence of this type of attitude?
So if a news organisation with a grudge because it f***ed up - the Sun's sales have STILL not recovered after Murdoch libelled the dead after Hillsborough - was libelling Brighton fans, you'd defend it? That would make you a total wimp. I doubt you would act as spinelessly as that any more than the people behind this boycott are.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Lammy said:
Well why did they do that?

To try and relieve a dangerous situation outside the ground of liverpool fans trying to get in. The police were worried about the liverpool fans kicking off outside and so STUPIDLY let them in the ground when it was already full. Obviously the liverpool fans making their way into the ground were unaware it was already full as it is very difficult to tell the difference between a full stand and an empty one so they pilled in anyway.

Don't get me wrong I place 80% of the blame at the feet of the police. BUT liverpool fans were involved too.

There were plenty of relatively empty pens for Liverpool fans that day. Why do you think that was? I'll answer for you. Liverpool fans WITH tickets were still outside queuing to get in.

Poor organisation, mainly by the police, caused the trouble outside. Giving Forest the home end when they knew Liverpool would bring more fans.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
jonny.rainbow said:

What none whatsoever? Does not turning up to a game without a ticket in such large numbers at least warrant a portion of blame however small?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here