Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool in fresh boycott

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
any one who had experienced english football hooligans in the 70's and 80's either as a spectator or a participant would realise the last thing that the hoolie's wanted was an actual fight,we ran at them-they ran at us.unless you were unlucky enough to be on your own and caught by at least 10 of them all that happened was a stand off. and if you stood your ground on the terraces whilst your lot were being chased you got ignored.
what happened at hysel was no worse than happened all over england at the time.the end result was a true tragedy but just like hillsborough the same lack of regard for the fans and pure greed of the football associations involved played a heavy part in that.

hysel,an ancient CYCLE track.a relic of the days when cycle racing was a great spectator sport in belgium was a crumbling disgrace and totally unfit to hold any major sporting event.(pictures shown on t.v.of the italian fans rioting after the disturbance showed them kicking and stomping on the crumbling terraces and throwing lumps of concrete at the belgium police)

segregation was a joke with a section next to liverpool fans being sold to locals and then sold on by touts mostly but not exclusively to italians.liverpool fans in this section came under attack from juventus hooligans and liverpool fans in the section allocated to them came under fire from bottles and more bits of the crumbling ground.
the only thing keeping the fans apart was a single chain link fence in a very poor state,the liverpool fans reacted to this provocation and the fence was no real barrier.the belgian police's attempts to subdue liverpool fans with batons rather than stop juventus fans attacking liverpool fans(either the ones in the mixed area or those being attacked with missiles) only enraged the liverpool fans.they got through gates and ripped the fencing down and DID WHAT ENGLISH FANS DO(AND YES AT THE TIME WE BRIGHTON FANS.ME INCLUDED DID)they rushed the juve fans.
i clearly remember seeing a typical english fans rush and you could see juve fans just standing still while liverpool fans ignored them and carried on running the mass moving away.
the weight of fans trapped in the last bit of the end caused the breeze block end wall to give way and fans unwittingly tramplled others to death. just like hillsborough,just like ibrox,just like bolton just like bradford Just like KINGS CROSS

just like the crush that nearly happened at highbury leaving the ground after our semi final.

a crap derelect ground should never have been chosen for a game of that importance but,just like hillsborough money was the main driving force in ground selection and uefa politics(and allegedly backhanders) gave the game to the belgium F.A. to fund the redevelopment of hysel(this game was planned to be the last ever at that stadium)

effective segregation was given up to sell the maximum number of tickets.with no regard to who got them.

what the liverpool fans did was to react to provocation in the same way english fans always reacted, the end result from that rush resulted in so many deaths BUT make no mistake given the same situation brighton fans could have created the same result.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Why does everyone on here think they know better than the numerous independent and official enquiry findings?

It was simply a combination of many factors coming together to produce an enormous tragedy, as is so often the case. No single party could be held responsible, just as no single party could be absolved.

northstandnorth said:
any one who had experienced english football hooligans in the 70's and 80's either as a spectator or a participant would realise the last thing that the hoolie's wanted was an actual fight,we ran at them-they ran at us.unless you were unlucky enough to be on your own and caught by at least 10 of them all that happened was a stand off. and if you stood your ground on the terraces whilst your lot were being chased you got ignored.
what happened at hysel was no worse than happened all over england at the time.the end result was a true tragedy but just like hillsborough the same lack of regard for the fans and pure greed of the football associations involved played a heavy part in that.

hysel,an ancient CYCLE track.a relic of the days when cycle racing was a great spectator sport in belgium was a crumbling disgrace and totally unfit to hold any major sporting event.(pictures shown on t.v.of the italian fans rioting after the disturbance showed them kicking and stomping on the crumbling terraces and throwing lumps of concrete at the belgium police)

segregation was a joke with a section next to liverpool fans being sold to locals and then sold on by touts mostly but not exclusively to italians.liverpool fans in this section came under attack from juventus hooligans and liverpool fans in the section allocated to them came under fire from bottles and more bits of the crumbling ground.
the only thing keeping the fans apart was a single chain link fence in a very poor state,the liverpool fans reacted to this provocation and the fence was no real barrier.the belgian police's attempts to subdue liverpool fans with batons rather than stop juventus fans attacking liverpool fans(either the ones in the mixed area or those being attacked with missiles) only enraged the liverpool fans.they got through gates and ripped the fencing down and DID WHAT ENGLISH FANS DO(AND YES AT THE TIME WE BRIGHTON FANS.ME INCLUDED DID)they rushed the juve fans.
i clearly remember seeing a typical english fans rush and you could see juve fans just standing still while liverpool fans ignored them and carried on running the mass moving away.
the weight of fans trapped in the last bit of the end caused the breeze block end wall to give way and fans unwittingly tramplled others to death. just like hillsborough,just like ibrox,just like bolton just like bradford Just like KINGS CROSS

just like the crush that nearly happened at highbury leaving the ground after our semi final.

a crap derelect ground should never have been chosen for a game of that importance but,just like hillsborough money was the main driving force in ground selection and uefa politics(and allegedly backhanders) gave the game to the belgium F.A. to fund the redevelopment of hysel(this game was planned to be the last ever at that stadium)

effective segregation was given up to sell the maximum number of tickets.with no regard to who got them.

what the liverpool fans did was to react to provocation in the same way english fans always reacted, the end result from that rush resulted in so many deaths BUT make no mistake given the same situation brighton fans could have created the same result.

Excellent summation and an accurate account based on what I saw on TV re: Heysel. The Juventas fans were possibly more to blame than Liverpool fans for the deaths-if they hadn't been hurling lumps of the stadium at the LFC supporters the retaliation possibly wouldn't have occurred. It did so we'll never know but one thing is for certain-they were as much to blame but because they lost 39 fans they suddenly became the victims rather than perpetrators.

As for Hillsborough....remember that Liverpool have a fan base that we can only dream of and no matter where they play there are always fans looking for 'spares'. Especially when the allocation was totally f***ed up by the authorities. Add to that an incompetent police force led by an idiot and there was always a possibility of problems. Tell me that Albion fans don't travel to all ticket games without tickets? We know they do. It just happens that where we have a handful doing that, for a big game like the FA Cup semi final, Liverpool will take 3 or 4 thousand without tickets.

Whilst not whiter than white in both tragedies, I will always believe that Liverpool fans have been unfairly vilified. Especially by that shit excuse for a newspaper the Scum and the European Football authorities who seized the moment to banish English clubs from European competitions. Something they'd been wanting to do for years. And something they'd love to do again-especially where the England team is involved.

That cock on Fox should be presented to Liverpool fans at Anfield when the Mersey Police are on strike.

Lammy said:
What the Sun did was unforgivable. I have every respect for Liverpool fans who boycott that rag. However, we are getting away from the point raised in this thread. Some bloke points out that Liverpool fans have a checkered history as much as they have a glorious one.
It wasn't just "some bloke" though, was it? It was an employee of the same news organsisation that owns the Sun. Of course Liverpool fans are going to smell a rat here. There are plenty of rats at News Corp.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
clapham_gull said:

why?

I do think that Scousers are prone to what Boris was alluding to.

No other city in the country has these mawkish displays of fake grief.

I make no comment on Hillsborough or Heysel as I really don't know enough to comment. I was responding to Lammy's post about Liverpool fans portraying themselves as loveable whiter than white fans and just stretching it to refer to scousers generally.

I've been spat at by Liverpool fans and I've seen terrible racist chanting at Everton only last year that went unpunished.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here