Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool and Mascherano

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
The sooner football copies rugby's approach the better.

Absolutely, I LIKE to see proper punching on the pitch, none of this nancy boy pushing each other in the chest stuff you get with soccer players.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I think Mascherano got exactly what he deserved for consistently mouthing off, and I hope more referees follow Steve Bennett's example from here on out.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
This is the only way forward to stamp out dissent in the game and I think Steve Bennett should be applauded, not vilified by pricks like Andy Gray who seems to have an agenda with referees in general. I can't believe I actually found myself agreeing with Jamie Redknapp when he managed to get a word in during Gray's embarrassing half-time rant.

If you look back a few years when the backpass rule was brought in, it was carnage for about two months. Free kicks from six yards every game and a general sense of confusion. But the players quickly adapted and now it's hardly part of the game. If we have to have a couple of months of players getting booked and sent off for telling a ref to f*** off, then so be it. They'll soon learn.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Absolutely, I LIKE to see proper punching on the pitch, none of this nancy boy pushing each other in the chest stuff you get with soccer players.

Yep - and if punches are thrown they are kicked off the pitch for 10 minutes or sent off for the rest of the game. Suits me.

far better than this silly Yellow cards rule which does not benefit the team you transgressed against but may benefot one of your rival teams if the yellow cards accrue and a good player misses a match against one of them. Ridiculous.

Yellow card = 10 minutes in the bin
5 yellow cards accumulated = missed match
Red card = sending off as now and for two yellow cards in one game

Easy and would stop so much of the crap we see in football now.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Mascherano was acting like a bit of an idiot but plenty of players do the same, he was not acting in an angry fashion and it was not worth a booking.

Just because other players do it doesn't make it right.

It was absoltely justified to send him off, and I hope that this incident now sets a precedent for the rest of the season.

Referees are being treated disgustingly at the moment - whenever they make a decision against a player they are crowded and sworn at, it's just not acceptable.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
Referees are being treated disgustingly at the moment - whenever they make a decision against a player they are crowded and sworn at, it's just not acceptable.

Exactly. It would not surprise me one bit if they decided to go on strike. That would certainly get the authorities to take it seriously.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Andy Gray had it in for Steve Bennett tough. Mind you I think Gray has long become a bit of a prick. He thinks running 30 yards to argue with a ref over an incident that does not concern you is PASSION.
Grey has definitly got too big for his boots, I used to like him but for the last year he's been a twat. It was quite funny watching Richard Keys have a row with him about it on the final word

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
definatly got what he deserved. refs only mistake was booking Torres for basically just complaining, which i think was a reaction to Mascerano's constant sniping. and why hadn't the Gerrard as captain not told him to shout the f*** up?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
No he wasn't he was just being an idiot.

Speak to anyone working in youth football and they will say that this type of disrespect has drifted into the game with kids copying the behaviour they see on the tv.

Hope this is a watershed.

my wife recons it happens now in playgrounds at playtime in schools.

If they are playing football and one person gets kicked, they roll about the floor, screaming in agony and the next minute they are up swearing!!!

She had to go over and break up a fight between two people and they both spent the next 5 minutes arguing with her why they shouldnt have to go back to class.......they were both 5 year olds

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Mascherano has just released a statement stating he does'nt know what he did wrong, after his initial yellow card he kept mouthing off to the ref on at least 3 occasions. Then he runs 20+yards to confront the ref when he did'nt need too, he reaction afterwards is worthy of a 3-match ban IMO and the FA need to dish it out.

This sort of thing wont be stamped out overnight, it needs to be sorted in youth football now so that players will grow up with respect for the officials, unfortunately that means FIFA need to act on it which of course they wont because they are pathetic!

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | Liverpool | Mascherano stunned by sending off

"I asked the referee what was happening. I did not swear, I was not aggressive and I did not confront him," Mascherano told the Liverpool Echo.

Quite funny, considering thats exactly what he did. 'I did not swear' - if thats true, then me, and everyone else who clearly saw him telling the ref to f*** off on many occasions, need to work on lip reading skills. What a f***ing twat.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | Liverpool | Mascherano stunned by sending off

"I asked the referee what was happening. I did not swear, I was not aggressive and I did not confront him," Mascherano told the Liverpool Echo.

Quite funny, considering thats exactly what he did. 'I did not swear' - if thats true, then me, and everyone else who clearly saw him telling the ref to f*** off on many occasions, need to work on lip reading skills. What a f***ing twat.

Trouble is, you can't even fine these cretins two, or even four, weeks wages anymore. It's a sum that would pay off the average family mortgage twice over, but probably represents nothing more than a small dent in their personal property portfolio. The only way to properly bring it home to these people is to fine their club. And not with money, but with points deductions. Then the clubs might finally bring their houses into order.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Trouble is, you can't even fine these cretins two, or even four, weeks wages anymore. It's a sum that would pay off the average family mortgage twice over, but probably represents nothing more than a small dent in their personal property portfolio. The only way to properly bring it home to these people is to fine their club. And not with money, but with points deductions. Then the clubs might finally bring their houses into order.

My thoughts exactly

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

What he said.

This needs stamping out of the game ASAP in my opinion.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Exactly. It would not surprise me one bit if they decided to go on strike. That would certainly get the authorities to take it seriously.

I hope they do.

Its amazing that when Poll retired last year after Terry abused him the papers somehow turned it on him and made it his fault, then again it was our captain fantastic....

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Quite refreshing to see how many people- fans and pundits alike- have backed up a referee for once.

I've never been a particular fan of Steve Bennett, but even he shouldn't have to put up with constant abuse, so fair play to him.

I hope a few more players go the same way before they learn- John Terry is one of the worst offenders for starters.

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
Thought like as incidents like Ashley Cole where the ref has issued a yellow card the FA cant amend or increase the ban unless its a straight red ? Therefore he probably gets a one game ban ?

B.H.A.F.C

brighton_boy_beau
Mar 20, 2008
BRIGHTON
all he said was what is going on when he actually got the second booking but it was probbably what happened before (swearing at the ref) but his behaviour after he got the booking is inexcusable

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here