Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Lets be honest, The Champions League group stages are a borefest and are in desperate need of a revamp. They weren't always either as the big guns used to fall at the first hurdle before it became entirely predictable. The Europa league is likewise and seen as a chore for anyone in it. A midweek European League - with qualification from respective Leagues on an annual basis - wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if it replaced a CL where you could probably guess 12/16 teams that will make the quarter finals now and the boat load of meaningless games that spin off from it. Off the top of my head, a Euro Div 1,2,3 with say the top 12 in the PL getting in every year would be better than the existing cup competitions and more exciting for teams like us that will never trouble the top 6 on a regular basis but it must, must be based on some sort of merit and not be a closed shop.

This is why though, the power must remain shared because one things for sure, anything dreamt up by Man Utd or Liverpool will only have their interests at heart. Done probably - and done properly being the key to this - it could actually be better all round. Self interest, though, will take over and whatever is dreamt up will be shite. Sigh.

I don’t think there is any chance of this being merely an extra layer of a meritocratic pyramid. That’s not even possible because the extra games could not be fitted in.

Last edited:

Rinkmaster

Oct 1, 2020
Newhaven
Let them go and wallow in their own mess. It should be made clear though that they either play in Europe super league or our Premier league. Also once out no way back in other than starting again at the bottom and working your way back up. That includes the same TV rights and money as the rest of the teams in the league that you are in. No extra perks just because you are Man U or Liverpool

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
It could easily fail, simply by failing to get the viewing figures it needs.

With no relegation, or rewards for finishing anything other than champions, it loses hell of a lot more of its entertainment factor than the domestic leagues where every game - or point - matters.

Doubt it will happen, for the same reason the "European Super League" proposed 15 years ago never happened. Although that was a better idea as it had promotions and relegations.

They will want feet in both camps to minimise the risk of failure. Hopefully they are told it’s one or the other. Anyway, I hope your right Mustafa

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I'm rapidly starting to fall out of love with modern day football , the cutting down the size of the Premier League to 18 teams as suggested in last weeks Benny Hill announcement now makes perfect sense when you add this weeks Frank Spencer announcement .

How immoral can organisations actually get before they actually give shit about anything other than lining the pockets of a few at the sake of many .

Madness , and what makes it stink even more is you just know pockets have been lined at FIFA already by the yanks .

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
You say we’d all watch it?
I think you may be over estimating that. I stopped watching the European Cup mini league games several years ago. They are in the main, awful,it is funny when Manchester United etc get beaten by a part time team from Outer Mongolia, but, the league format means even United can usually get their shit together and qualify to get knocked out by the first decent team they play, in the knockout rounds.

Why, when the European Cup was only competed for by national champions was it called the European Cup, but now any Tom , Dick, or Harry can qualify, is it called “The Champions League “?

Very much this. Think I watched about 2 Champs League games all last season. And I have BT sport!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I would love it if this happened LOVE IT.

Bye bye to main 5 clubs the media **** over. Much hilarity for the last one of the Big 6 that didn't make the cut. So much fun that Celtic and Rangers will want to join and be shite.

Lets get the leagues back to 1,2,3 and 4 with salary caps (which may come in naturally as there wont be the mad money in the league and there wont be the mad foreign owners coming in)

Get football back stable and fun.
Yep, if they want to go... See you later.

The worst thing that this could lead to is them using the threat to hold everyone to ransom (again). Worse still is everyone falling for it (again).

Wave them goodbye and set up a sustainable systems that encourages competition.

The way I see it everyone is happy. They get their closed shop, can pay stupid salaries and play 'glamour' matches week in week out. The rest of us get to stop mortgaging our futures to pay for a striker.

Win win (apart from the fans of the big clubs, but then maybe they can start supporting their local teams instead).

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Yep, if they want to go... See you later.

The worst thing that this could lead to is them using the threat to hold everyone to ransom (again). Worse still is everyone falling for it (again).

Wave them goodbye and set up a sustainable systems that encourages competition.

The way I see it everyone is happy. They get their closed shop, can pay stupid salaries and play 'glamour' matches week in week out. The rest of us get to stop mortgaging our futures to pay for a striker.

Win win (apart from the fans of the big clubs, but then maybe they can start supporting their local teams instead).

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

They'll seem like glamour matches at first, but if you're playing Lazio at home in a meaningless, mid-table end-of-season fixture, is anyone going to buy a ticket or even watch on TV? Let's say Arsenal are in the Super League but Tottenham aren't - at first the Gooners fans will enjoy lording it over the Spuds, but after a couple of seasons they'll be craving the old-fashioned, visceral excitement of a North London derby.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
Top flight football has lost the plot, it's totally disconnected from the local fans. Do people care enough to take back control, that is the question.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
like many others I'm happy for them to go and have their circle jerk league if it means not being held to ransom every few years

it'll drastically change the premier league and english football forever- maybe for the better but we'll see

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Almost everything I dislike about modern football is linked to one thing and that's money (too much of it).

It's the finance curse in a sporting arena. The richer those profiting from the premier league (players, managers, owners, agents, broadcasters etc) become, the worse off everyone else in the game (lower league clubs, fans) end up. And the more the game loses its soul.

If that whole morally bankrupt, money making, circus can be shifted elsewhere, then all to the good,

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Almost everything I dislike about modern football is linked to one thing and that's money (too much of it).

It's the finance curse in a sporting arena. The richer those profiting from the premier league (players, managers, owners, agents, broadcasters etc) become, the worse off everyone else in the game (lower league clubs, fans) end up. And the more the game loses its soul.

If that whole morally bankrupt, money making, circus can be shifted elsewhere, then all to the good,

Very eloquently put.

The main reason for keeping the 'big' clubs seems to be that they generate the most money for the league. It seems though that dispite the riches generated by these clubs others are in significant debt, while some are close to failing althogther.

The fact is that said wealth is, as you say, sucking the soul out of a brilliant game.

I sincerely hope they go and take their money with them.

We've all watched and enjoyed Brighton play without the glamour and riches of the Premier League. It is not money that attracts us to this game. Without it we may find that what attracts us is more prominent.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
The game appears littered with sociopaths at the top, corporate stalins and hitlers everywhere bullying their agenda for the sole purpose of more money. We need a Churchill to stand up to them, bring them down, teach them a lesson, end their tyranny. Time to get angry if this goes ahead, real action with real consequences like we did back in the nineties at every match.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Can't believe how many think this is a break away.

Its not, these teams will still play in the PL

look at the bigger picture. This thing is going to be 36 games (plus "play off games") on top of 38 premier league games. Which one are they going to be taking more seriously (especially with no champions league spots to fight for)? The European mega big boys league is going to be far more financially lucrative so that will be the priority

The domestic leagues will be little more than development opportunities for these clubs and the "big name players" won't give it the time of day.

it IS a break away. It's the clubs who perceive themselves to the the big clubs pulling up the drawbridge and telling everyone else to go **** themselves

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

I think we are assuming that the remaining PL teams won't stand for them playing in two leagues and tell them to do one.

I will conede that this is probably wishful thinking on our part.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
They'll seem like glamour matches at first, but if you're playing Lazio at home in a meaningless, mid-table end-of-season fixture, is anyone going to buy a ticket or even watch on TV? Let's say Arsenal are in the Super League but Tottenham aren't - at first the Gooners fans will enjoy lording it over the Spuds, but after a couple of seasons they'll be craving the old-fashioned, visceral excitement of a North London derby.

I disagree. They’ll just be a ‘shift change‘, fans like us will drift away and never come back to be replaced by Mohammed and Abdul of Arsenal TV fame “yeah bro, na wot I mean like sick” who know nothing of the traditions, culture etc and simply care about £80m signings and lording it over their chatroom ‘friends’. These morons are ten a penny and easily sustained with meaningless matches providing you wrap them up in some showbiz glitter and stick it on TV as they’re unable to move from an armchair remember.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

Think you might be on your own here. I’d check your calendar and the room number as you appear to be at the wrong meeting.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

I don't think it IS a breakaway, I am saying it SHOULD be a breakaway.

I agree that these teams are expecting to have their cake (and ours) and eat it it too. And given the weakness and greed of those at the top, they will get what they want. For now.

[MENTION=1313]BadFish[/MENTION] if you haven't checked the link I put in my post, I can recommend it. I think it explains a lot - within and beyond football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here