Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
SSN just reporting that a court in Madrid has made a preliminary ruling that UEFA and FIFA cannot prevent the formation of the ESL. Apparently the ESL clubs feel that competition law is on their side.

The irony of it all. ESL teams invoking competition law to usher in their league denying effective competition.

The world has gone mad and money made it so.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
The current broadcast deal would be honoured. Its future deals that will be reduced.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Without Man United? I can't see SKY paying a price negotiated with United in the league when United have walked. It's like negotiating to buy a car, paying for a Bugatti and gettig a Rover.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I'm rather enjoying watching modern football eat itself. I can't afford to go to matches any more and I've long had the feeling that the majority of big clubs don't really need fans in the stands anyway other than to provide a backdrop to the product they are flogging online and on TV.

It's about time the big clubs were exposed for what they are and the authorities made to account for all the foreign money men that have been allowed to take over clubs that were once the heartbeat of communities.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The Premier League is such a draw because it is competitive.

It won't be anywhere near as interesting, if the top 6 only stand a chance of losing, when they play each other.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
UEFA now making a counter offer for a revamp f champs league involving billions of pounds.

So predictable .

The clubs will end up with more and all

They hold the aces and UEFA already bowing

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Bayern are out. Official.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
The Premier League is such a draw because it is competitive.

It won't be anywhere near as interesting, if the top 6 only stand a chance of losing, when they play each other.

That's what I think but that has been slowly, by stealth, happening anyway. The 5 subs. That was to allow United to change half their outfield team with world class internationals just as Burnley are tiring. Can't takle so cant stop their great players playing are two clear examples. We should look at this in the round. United/Liverpool have an argument. They rightly say, "we make all the money for everyone" with their TV audience, and the rest say "yes, but you need to play against us and we need money to compete". United/Liverpool now say, we are not bothered about competition, because they think they can get revenue certainty by no relegation, and theior international audience will accept it. What do the rest want? Do we really want to hang onto United's coat tails or just let them go and have a truly competitive game to watch every weekend?

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
See also statement from Amazon Prime.

'So, Mr Bezos...what is it about the concept of a greed driven, risk free, monopoly designed to make rich men even richer that you feel comfortable enough to live with just as long as it might make you more money?'

I think Bezos started Amazon from his own garage. He didn't copy it (like Alibaba). He thought of it, and most importantly, he took a risk and he made it happen. I think that he should get some credit for being a genuine disrupter. He saw the 4th industrial revolution coming before most people and more importantly he created a business using that foresight. I think fair play to him.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Bayern are out. Official.

So it can never be a European Super League.

Without Bayern and PSG and therefore the French / German markets this cannot commercially fly whatever the Americans (and make no mistake they're behind this) think.

We also have to remember the huge Francophone appeal of football - without a French interest I don't think it will work.

That's what I'm hoping anyway.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
So it can never be a European Super League.

Without Bayern and PSG and therefore the French / German markets this cannot commercially fly whatever the Americans (and make no mistake they're behind this) think.

We also have to remember the huge Francophone appeal of football - without a French interest I don't think it will work.

That's what I'm hoping anyway.

Massively impressed by the statements and actions of Bayern...... and theyre spot on, Clubs like Madrid have gorged on excessive spending and debt to pay crazy money to players and agents to achieve dominance, then their excesses start to bite and they wont to destroy national pyramids to gorge further under the ridiculous false guise of "saving football".

Football needs an about turn, as Bayern state..... You want to save money madrid, sign up to uniform efforts to cut crazy salaries/fees..... not destroy everything trying to stretch the elastic still further.

Naked capitalist greed at its most sickening levels

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The owners are incredibly dim or they have already included the meltdown in their plans.
It's not the meltdown that matters. I totally get that it doesn't matter to these owners what English fans think if the clubs are able to sell the rights to Asia and the US etc. But if they're also kicked out of the PL, and their Super League is the same 15 or so clubs playing each other year after year, I think the Asian fans will get bored of it soon enough, and so their revenues will fall.

It is about money, and I think they'd lose money (as long as they were kicked out of their respective leagues).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Wouldn't we want to keep it as it is, except the TV money to be evenly distributed to make each league more competitive?
I tell you what, that would be bloody hilarious. These 6 clubs have moaned that they're not being listened to, and not getting enough money. Respond with '**** you. We'll offer you less money than you're getting now. Take it or leave it.'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here