Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Live Music 2013

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
This morning I bought Great Escape tickets for next year. Already excited.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I miss TGE

It is my favourite- and gets better every time. Lots more free stuff recently so you don't even need a ticket. One Inch Band put on a lot of alternative bands last year on the fringes of the main event.

joeywortho

Jun 3, 2013
Saw Chase n Status at Centre on Friday - amazing live and great to witness the usually sterile centre absolutely jumping

Going to see Jason Isbell at Komedia on Tue which is gonna be a whole different vibe

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
White Denim were very good at the Haunt last night. Really professional performance.

I'm getting really fed up with The Haunt as a venue though. Ridiculous bar prices & if it at capacity it is virtually impossible to get through the bottleneck around the mixing desk. What really irks me, is if you do get through there is always space at the front. Even the sound, which is normally great there to be fair was a bit dodgy last night.

It's getting to the point where I'm thinking twice when a gig I know is going to sell out is annnounced there. I may end up not bothering with of Montreal as a result.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Off to see my highlight of The Great Escape tonight, Dingus Khan at the Hare & Hounds. It's only a fiver in, they are definitely worth that and more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTaqPlqHVj0

My memories of that upstairs room at The Hare and Hounds appear to be a lot better than the reality, it's a pretty grim space. Shame really, a little bit of investment could turn that into a very useful venue.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Saw Nick Cave last. A very enjoyable show focussing mainly on his recent long player. His other songs were re-worked to fit the mood as well. Mercy Seat and Red Right Hand were noticeably different. Jubilee Street went the other way with quite a thunderous finale. And the sound was the best I have heard in a long long time; really crisp and clear even during the thunderous moments to which the band are prone. The new album came across very well live...aided by the great sound.

Saw him last night in Amsterdam and pretty much agree with this, although personally I didn't think The Mercy Seat or Red Right Hand were noticeably different from how I've heard them play those live before.

Great sound. And I got to hear Sad Waters played live for the first time in almost 30 years.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
White Denim were very good at the Haunt last night. Really professional performance.

I'm getting really fed up with The Haunt as a venue though. Ridiculous bar prices & if it at capacity it is virtually impossible to get through the bottleneck around the mixing desk. What really irks me, is if you do get through there is always space at the front. Even the sound, which is normally great there to be fair was a bit dodgy last night.

It's getting to the point where I'm thinking twice when a gig I know is going to sell out is annnounced there. I may end up not bothering with of Montreal as a result.

Not a huge fan of The Haunt either but I have to remind myself of Audio which I think is worse. Here the band play down the side of the venue, the stage is too low and the beer the most expensive in town. Poor choices too. The haunt has an important role to play especially with half of komedia now a cinema but it is difficult getting to the front and when full it can be pretty difficult to see.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Yeah really enjoyed White Denim. They're a bit of a personality free zone but they are really exciting to listen to - the long song in the middle of the set was amazing.

As for The Haunt, it's not too bad. The main problem is the bottle neck at the back, when there's always space at the front. Not helped last night by some bloke not letting people past him which is admirable but annoying - it just makes it really crowded and people pushing around you. It's silly in The Haunt anyway because people aren't trying to push in front of you, they're trying to get to your left.

Someone should mention Metronomy at The Old Market. Fantastic band, fantastic venue. Pretty much sucks, then, that I can't go!

Also, what do the resident NSC experts think about Loop? I quite like what I've heard, and I've only heard of them because they're headlining an ATP. Will they be any good live?

Last edited:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Yes, yes, yes - that bottleneck at the Haunt drives me nuts. Can't they just put a bouncer there and keep people moving!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Yeah really enjoyed White Denim. They're a bit of a personality free zone but they are really exciting to listen to - the long song in the middle of the set was amazing.

As for The Haunt, it's not too bad. The main problem is the bottle neck at the back, when there's always space at the front. Not helped last night by some bloke not letting people past him which is admirable but annoying - it just makes it really crowded and people pushing around you. It's silly in The Haunt anyway because people aren't trying to push in front of you, they're trying to get to your left.

Someone should mention Metronomy at The Old Market. Fantastic band, fantastic venue. Pretty much sucks, then, that I can't go!

Just went online to buy Metronomy tickets and it's sold out.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Not a huge fan of The Haunt either but I have to remind myself of Audio which I think is worse. Here the band play down the side of the venue, the stage is too low and the beer the most expensive in town. Poor choices too. The haunt has an important role to play especially with half of komedia now a cinema but it is difficult getting to the front and when full it can be pretty difficult to see.

I marginally prefer Audio but they are both pretty rubbish. I take exception to you suggesting the beer is more expensive at Audio. It's £4.50 for a can of lager @ The Haunt. I don't remember paying much over £4 for a pint the last time I was at Audio.

My tip for Audio is stand just in front of the mixing desk, good view from the stairs and the best place for the sound IMHO.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Also, what do the resident NSC experts think about Loop? I quite like what I've heard, and I've only heard of them because they're headlining an ATP. Will they be any good live?

Loop will be brilliant live. I have a mate who reported back very positively from the first London show last night. KVB in support are very nice in a Suicide/ Place to Bury Strangers way.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Yes, yes, yes - that bottleneck at the Haunt drives me nuts. Can't they just put a bouncer there and keep people moving!

The problem for me is if you get down there late then you are fecked, you may as well not bother. There's got to be something they could do to keep things moving when it is busy. I just can't think what.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I marginally prefer Audio but they are both pretty rubbish. I take exception to you suggesting the beer is more expensive at Audio. It's £4.50 for a can of lager @ The Haunt. I don't remember paying much over £4 for a pint the last time I was at Audio.

My tip for Audio is stand just in front of the mixing desk, good view from the stairs and the best place for the sound IMHO.

I have not been to The Haunt for a year or so but I remember when it opened they were charging £4 for a warm tin of Red Stripe (with no other options), something equally silly for spirits and aggressivly searching people going in for what I can only presume was booze. I do not mind be patted down but searching me all over and my bag for concealed booze is taking the piss - I'm 45 FFS. The Haunt can do one.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I have not been to The Haunt for a year or so but I remember when it opened they were charging £4 for a warm tin of Red Stripe (with no other options), something equally silly for spirits and aggressivly searching people going in for what I can only presume was booze. I do not mind be patted down but searching me all over and my bag for concealed booze is taking the piss - I'm 45 FFS. The Haunt can do one.

The security have eased off a bit now, I think - at least I don't have any trouble - perhaps they don't like the look of you Herr T? The drink situation is just pitiful, I don't even bother any more - £4.50 for a (generally lukewarm) can of lager now, no draught and a pretty poor array of watered down spirits. The aforementioned bottle neck means if you don't get down there early enough you can't see and the sound at the back is naff.

Green Door Store have got it right on the drinks front. Reasonably priced draught cider and lager and plenty of decent ale in the fridge. How hard is that? I'm guessing (as I haven't been to the bar there in a while) The Haunt still don't sell ale?

As luck would have it I'm at one of my favourite venues this evening. The good old reliable Prince Albert for Vile Imbeciles.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The security have eased off a bit now, I think - at least I don't have any trouble - perhaps they don't like the look of you Herr T? The drink situation is just pitiful, I don't even bother any more - £4.50 for a (generally lukewarm) can of lager now, no draught and a pretty poor array of watered down spirits. The aforementioned bottle neck means if you don't get down there early enough you can't see and the sound at the back is naff.

Green Door Store have got it right on the drinks front. Reasonably priced draught cider and lager and plenty of decent ale in the fridge. How hard is that? I'm guessing (as I haven't been to the bar there in a while) The Haunt still don't sell ale?

As luck would have it I'm at one of my favourite venues this evening. The good old reliable Prince Albert for Vile Imbeciles.

They were searching everyone in the same way. I can totally understand why a student/youngster might want to smuggle some vodka in though. Anyway, rant over :smile:

Totally with you on The Green Door store. Lovely space, nice vibe, good drinks and some good nights.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here