Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Live Music 2013

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
Went to see Paul Weller last Tuesday in Doncaster and tomorrow I'm off to see From the Jam (featuring Bruce Foxton) in Sheffield - Weller was good but From the Jam should be fantastic!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Wow. Just seen a poster advertising a Julia Holter gig down the road from my place next Thursday. Have to go to this. It's about a 5 minute walk at a little folk club.

Look forward to a mini review. Hope she is as attractive in the flesh as on video.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Ooo sounds good. If you find some Hypnotised tracks whack them up here.
Ah the old days you had to fight to find the music, and that's whats made us so anal about it. I maybe now an old chunt at 40 but I still remember the joy and excitement of finding new bands when I was 15, and still get it.

Here's that Hypnotized record

http://hypnotized.bandcamp.com/

I can't have been the only one impressed. They've been announced as a last minute support for the Clipping show put on by One Inch Badge tomorrow.

http://www.brightonnoise.co.uk/listing/?p=65685

I may well pop down and have another look. Tickets are £1.50 or something through this link

http://www.seetickets.com/Event/clipping-/sticky-mikes-frog-bar/733608

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside which music magazines and/or websites do people read for reviews and interviews?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Good ask. Recently I have been using Brighton Source for all local stuff as it concentrates on the smaller bands and venues and is pretty honest. For general album reviews then its Pitchfork, quietus and drowned in sound. Quietus can get a bit wordy and pretentious in places. Dare I say it but the NME has improved drastically the past two years. For example this week album reviews have included Euros Child, The Wave Pictures, Best Coast and a full page and a half on my personal favourites Future Of The Left. They also have a section called Radar which covers new band reviews which is always worth a look. Trouble is you still get the shit stuff- an article entitled 'What's in the drugs found at UK festivals?' for example. I have to say NSC is also a source of recommendations and I have discovered as much through these threads than I have anywhere else.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Drowned In Sound, Quietus, Pitchfork, Resident Advisor, Stool Pigeon (very sadly RIP), Wire (magazine), Crack (really good free magazine from Bristol that is distributed to some places in Brighton.), 20 Jazz Funk Greats.

Source magazine & Brighton Noise for local previews & listings. As well as following all the local promoters on Facebook (One Inch Badge, Be Nothing, Love Thy Neighbour, Melting Vinyl, Cupboard Music, Teen Creeps, Tatty Seaside Town, Put It On, Stay Sick etc...)

Finally, I only go out of my way to listen to one Radio show a week, which is http://www.the-seance.com/.Hosted by Pete Wiggs of St. Etienne fame & James Papademetrie who has written for many an esteemed publication. They seem to strike the right balance between new and old, obscure and well known. I never fail to come away from one of their shows with a new love.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Drowned In Sound, Quietus, Pitchfork, Resident Advisor, Stool Pigeon (very sadly RIP), Wire (magazine), Crack (really good free magazine from Bristol that is distributed to some places in Brighton.), 20 Jazz Funk Greats.

Source magazine & Brighton Noise for local previews & listings. As well as following all the local promoters on Facebook (One Inch Badge, Be Nothing, Love Thy Neighbour, Melting Vinyl, Cupboard Music, Teen Creeps, Tatty Seaside Town, Put It On, Stay Sick etc...)

Finally, I only go out of my way to listen to one Radio show a week, which is http://www.the-seance.com/.Hosted by Pete Wiggs of St. Etienne fame & James Papademetrie who has written for many an esteemed publication. They seem to strike the right balance between new and old, obscure and well known. I never fail to come away from one of their shows with a new love.

Was forgetting One Inch Badge, Lout and Melting Vinyl. I guess I could also include the Resident Website although slightly biased reviews based on their preferences and who is playing in store that week. Radio wise I listen to Dandelion Radio and Six Music. Used to be Peel- obviously. His son Tom does a pretty good show following his same style.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Was forgetting One Inch Badge, Lout and Melting Vinyl. I guess I could also include the Resident Website although slightly biased reviews based on their preferences and who is playing in store that week. Radio wise I listen to Dandelion Radio and Six Music. Used to be Peel- obviously. His son Tom does a pretty good show following his same style.

Tom Ravenscroft is really worth listening to agreed, he does a good job of emulating his father's wide ranging taste. There's plenty of good stuff on 6, especially outside of the breakfast & teatime slots.

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26
Everything Everything are playing the Forum in London on Thursday this week to which i have a ticket that's spare,any offers considered or free if necessary,P.M if needed.

Jul 20, 2003
Mark Eitzel tomorrow night. I IMPLORE you to go. I have the most incredible 8 days ahead with Cave and Kozelek to follow BUT Mark Eitzel is playing in The Palmeira!

Honestly, the man is different class

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Jake Bugg tomorrow, Nick Cave on Thursday, Arctic Monkeys on Friday, Steve Mason next Tuesday with the Watford game sandwiched somewhere in there...busy Times.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Television playing Marquee Moon right through on Monday at the acoustically sound Fly By Night Club in Freo - can't wait....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here