Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Live Interview with Jim Gannon - BBC Radio Manchester NOW

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
am I the only one really uncomfortable about us tapping a manager of a club in dire straights?

no-one is "tapping" anyone
we asked their board to talk and they said yes.
indeed they positively bit our hand off (forget the contract stuff, they welcomed our interest no matter what they have to say in public to appease the fans).
stockport have to sell and sell NOW to raise cash or be at risk of being unable to continue trading.
Gannon is their only saleable asset right now - they can't (or don't want to take the risk to) wait until the summer to sell players.
Gannon may not WANT to leave but his plea for assurances is empty and he must know it. From the club's perspective he HAS to go and they will be bloody upset if he says no to us as it will leave them on the brink.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
indeed they positively bit our hand off (forget the contract stuff, they welcomed our interest no matter what they have to say in public to appease the fans).
stockport have to sell and sell NOW to raise cash or be at risk of being unable to continue trading.
Gannon is their only saleable asset right now - they can't (or don't want to take the risk to) wait until the summer to sell players.
Gannon may not WANT to leave but his plea for assurances is empty and he must know it. From the club's perspective he HAS to go and they will be bloody upset if he says no to us as it will leave them on the brink.

you think they had a choice?

personally I am not happy with it......you on the other hand are....that is what makes the world go around.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Did Jim Gannon have big hair and a 'tash when he used to play....that's the mental picture I've got of him?

You might be getting confused with Jim Cannon - former Palace captain who fits that description.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So the world dont move
to the sound of just one drum

NMRks8elHe9DHJ1.jpg

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Can we just make sure if he does come that we give him our full support as Stockport clearly have done, or he'll be gone before you can say Brighton and hove Albion...

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
you think they had a choice?

personally I am not happy with it......you on the other hand are....that is what makes the world go around.

In all honesty, I think the Stockport board know full well they cannot give Gannon the assurances he requires.

They know he's done very well for them, and to stand in his way would be absolute folly.

Like ALL lower league clubs..(ourselves included), they know that successful managers will leave for better pastures. Far better they have a reputation for treating successful managers with respect (so maybe another promising young manager will be encouraged to replace him), than being portrayed as selfish sods.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Last night, you were hinting Gary Stevens would be in as manger, changed your mind?:p

I stand by that comment.

I would be very surprised if he is not offered some sort of position on the staff.....I am still not convinced it wont be as manager.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Gannon bolted
Stevens in a manger

does that leave Boothroyd alone in the paddock?

I was referring to our season as bolted......I have not seen anything in the last few weeks that points to us staying up.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004

How much of a 'saleable asset' is he though? As far as I'm aware he's on a 12 month rolling contract, so any compensation due to Stockport would surely be very small

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
So basically we may be getting another manager who doesnt really want to be here...like Adams first spell ended, Peter taylor and Steve Coppell eventually.

Oh great

As we are supposed to be this touchy feely great club, am I the only one really uncomfortable about us tapping a manager of a club in dire straights?

And what do all of those managers have in common? They did fantastically well for us!

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
IMO I've got a strange feeling this might not happen. Why would he want to leave a team who're battling for play-offs and go to us the other end of the table, scrapping for our lifes to stay in this division. Ok the Stockport board sound like a complete joke, but this man is Stockport through and through so I can't see it happening. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong through.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
IMO I've got a strange feeling this might not happen. Why would he want to leave a team who're battling for play-offs and go to us the other end of the table, scrapping for our lifes to stay in this division. Ok the Stockport board sound like a complete joke, but this man is Stockport through and through so I can't see it happening. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong through.

Possibly see us as a better job prospect for the future which at Stockport may not be too long.

leepoll

Feb 25, 2009
Stockport fan here- Gannon is county through and through but as most of you probably know now our board have well and truely F**ked us up. And to top things off they have been giving details of his salary on the messages boards. Doubt Jim will be impressed by that, I wouldn't be. So i think Gannon could be yours next week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here