Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lisbon Treaty - How do you want the Irish to vote.

Lisbon Treaty - How do you want the Irish to vote.

• Yes

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • No

Votes: 61 67.8%

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No, get out of the EU and join NAFTA instead.

yeah, that makes logical sence :rolleyes:

we just need to stick to EU as a economic group, the political convergence gets in the way for no net benefit.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Shame our government didn't have the guts to hold a referendum.

same goes for the rest of Europe. but we dont what a bit of pesky democracy getting in the way of a few elite politians aims.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
That isn't true. It's gets overlooked but it was originally meant to prevent wars taking place on the European mainland by pooling the main resources needed to do so belonging to the two biggest protagonists. And in that it's been entirely successful: Western Europe's virtually never been more peaceful for as long a period of time. The gap in poverty levels between countries - another vital component in preventing the rise in extremism - has never been lower either. :thumbsup:
I'm not 100% certain about the poverty levels, even in the 'old days' there were rich elites in each country and poor masses meaning there was a balance of sorts - but the main thrust of your argument is correct. Doesn't explain why we need a bloated European superstate though, or dozens and dozens of regulations to control, regulate and monitor every aspect of our lives. Especially as we (Britain) have been denied a chance to say whether we're in favour or not.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Why should we give a shit about the Irish in this? They need to be in the EU because otherwise they will go down the drain, if they vote no just tell kick them out, it only the big countries that should be in it anyway. I am talking about France Germany Britain Italy here.

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Why should we give a shit about the Irish in this? They need to be in the EU because otherwise they will go down the drain, if they vote no just tell kick them out, it only the big countries that should be in it anyway. I am talking about France Germany Britain Italy here.

Cos if they vote yes, its all down the the Czech president, and the pressure put on him will be immense. He is a Eurosceptic though and will hopefully hold out until the Tories get in here and we can get a vote. (The Czechs are not getting a vote)

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
That isn't true. It's gets overlooked but it was originally meant to prevent wars taking place on the European mainland by pooling the main resources needed to do so belonging to the two biggest protagonists. And in that it's been entirely successful: Western Europe's virtually never been more peaceful for as long a period of time. The gap in poverty levels between countries - another vital component in preventing the rise in extremism - has never been lower either. :thumbsup:

you mean it was set up to stop the Germans attacking France and killing millions of people every 20 years because they are deranged lunatics.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003

I thought I was the only one who thought this, I agree wholeheartedly.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Absolute f***ing disgrace the way they have made them vote again. It's on a par with Mugabe's regime. Blair gets another cushy number after his traitorous tenure as prime minister. You watch those other wankers Brown and the thief Mandelson join him on the jolly up soon. SHAME ON THEM AND SHAME ON US FOR NOT DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT!!

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Absolute f***ing disgrace the way they have made them vote again. It's on a par with Mugabe's regime. Blair gets another cushy number after his traitorous tenure as prime minister. You watch those other wankers Brown and the thief Mandelson join him on the jolly up soon. SHAME ON THEM AND SHAME ON US FOR NOT DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT!!

Spot on.

Its a pisstake of democracy.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

its a good question and the answer is at the heart of why EU is bad. all (most, i lost track) of the national governments have made it a stated policy that they join up to the Lisbon treaty, effectivly creating the foundations of a federal europe. no votes on the issue from the people of europe, they say its part of their mandate when last elected.

but without agreement of all member nations, it cant go ahead. so they need the Irish to vote yes or wait until they can fudge it again. EU democracy in action.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Do you know I really miss the good old days when we had a good, honest, world war every 20 years or so.

It might have slaughtered millions of our finest, but at least it taught Johnny Foreigner who was the boss man.

This whole peace and prosperity thing is hugely overated

:jester:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Even if the Irish vote 'No' the bastartds'll in powere will keep going back for more and more referendums until they get the "right" answer. Roll on a referendum here too - I don't care which party gives it to us.

And that 'You voted for it, it was in our manifesto' line is bollocks too - whichever party you vote for, there's likely to be a lot of crap you don't want in their manifesto; we all just vote for what we think is the least bad option, not for what we actually want.

Should be more referendums, IMHO, and not just over Europe, either - with the politicians legally bound to carry out the democratic wish, whether they like it or not.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Do you know I really miss the good old days when we had a good, honest, world war every 20 years or so.

It might have slaughtered millions of our finest, but at least it taught Johnny Foreigner who was the boss man.

This whole peace and prosperity thing is hugely overated

:jester:

yeah should have joined the Soviet block after the war. Would have saved all this nonsense :jester:

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Yes. We need a strong Europe.

The real reasons that most of the 'no' crowd want us out of Europe? Forget economics, forget so called loss of powers, forget all the excuses they make, the real reason is that they hate anyone who isn't white and English. They do not trust people who speak a different language or lead a different lifestyle or believe in a different God. They read the anti-European stories in The Sun and The Daily Mail and actually believe they are true.

If someone can give me actual, cast-iron proof that getting out of Europe would be good for our economy, give us thousands of extra jobs, improve our living standards and improve our security then I will have no hesitation in joining the no crowd - until then I will vote Yes for Europe.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
It makes it 1-1. Surely we are now into extra time, or is this like Man U, and the game is not over until Ireland have voted yes?

If they vote no, there will be a point in time when they are called to vote again.
If they vote yes, there will never be another option to vote again.

When is the option in 6 months time to reverse a yes - no chance. What a crock of shit, have another vote why don't you until we get the "correct" answer.

I'm not anti -European. I like what we have. Don't take it any further - there is no need. The rest of the world is going the other way, and wanting to split in nation states, such as scotlannd, old USSR, and China. The world is full of separatists. Europe seems to be full of Federalists.

ps also think Blair was shit in charge of UK, god knows what he would do as an unelected president of Europe. At what point did I vote for Blair as European President? What a democratic sham.:angry::rant:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here