Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lionel Messi

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
He's shit, El-Abd would snap him to pieces.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
:lolol:
Lionel Messi the serial diver. Unbelievable. But in his defence, he did go on to say that he doesn't watch Spanish football. Those of us who do, know that he gets a kicking and bounces back onto his feet straight away again and very rarely even complains. Let alone roll around on the floor. Unfair and unfounded criticism.

Real Madrid WILL do them on saturday though! :thumbsup:
What a game that is going to be, regardless of whether my boys will win or not!

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Messi is good - there is no denying that - but I find it hard to say exactly why he appears to be so good. What i mean is that he is very one footed - doesn't have many obvious tricks - and whilst not slow - he is not very quick either. Also it appears he often goes past people by rebounding the ball off the defenders shins. He also dribbles with his head down. What he does have is quick feet, good close contol and is a clinicl finisher. Anyone else able to shed some light as to exactly how he does it?

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
Messi is good - there is no denying that - but I find it hard to say exactly why he appears to be so good. What i mean is that he is very one footed - doesn't have many obvious tricks - and whilst not slow - he is not very quick either. Also it appears he often goes past people by rebounding the ball off the defenders shins. He also dribbles with his head down. What he does have is quick feet, good close contol and is a clinicl finisher. Anyone else able to shed some light as to exactly how he does it?

One of his greatest assets I think is his timing, he is able to time every nuance of his game to perfection. With his fourth goal tonight you see him just wait that split second before seeing Almunia create a gap for him to just slot the ball into. His runs are always so well executed, you don't often see him straying offside.

As much as I am a big Rooney fan, I don't believe he is a better player than Messi at the moment!

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
One of his greatest assets I think is his timing, he is able to time every nuance of his game to perfection. With his fourth goal tonight you see him just wait that split second before seeing Almunia create a gap for him to just slot the ball into. His runs are always so well executed, you don't often see him straying offside.

As much as I am a big Rooney fan, I don't believe he is a better player than Messi at the moment!

Agree with that - also - like Maradonna and Rooney he is small and strong making it hard to knock him off the ball.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
The reason Messi doesnt look that good is EXACTLY why he is so good!!!

He makes it all look so easy but homw many players have scored FOUR goals against Arsenal in the last 10 years?

He is CLASS and so much better than Christian 'roll on the floor like a **** every time I get touched' Rondaldo!

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
The reason Messi doesnt look that good is EXACTLY why he is so good!!!

He makes it all look so easy but homw many players have scored FOUR goals against Arsenal in the last 10 years?

He is CLASS and so much better than Christian 'roll on the floor like a **** every time I get touched' Rondaldo!

Well said. He makes it look so easy that you forget it's world-class footballers he's doing it against.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009

The ball is quite obviously glued to his left foot, with some form of mental (as in mind, not ARGHFUCKSHITRAGH!) detaching device lodged in his brain.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There are times when he comes away with the ball still at his feet, and it just leaves me scratching my head at just how he managed it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Absolutely fantastic player, and almost unplayable on his day.

The big question for me is whether or not he's as good as Maradona was at his peak? I don't think he's quite as good personally.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Up until last night I must have been unlucky as the few Barca games I've seen this season Messi has seemed a bit 'off the boil' compared to the last couple of years. Last week at Arsenal he didn't really stand out, though that may have been because the rest of the team played well. Last night however he was just different class, especially the finish for the 3rd goal. Hopefully on Saturday he'll show that little twerp Ronaldo what a PROPER footballer looks like

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Absolutely fantastic player, and almost unplayable on his day.

The big question for me is whether or not he's as good as Maradona was at his peak? I don't think he's quite as good personally.

Agreed. I think he's got to do it in a World Cup to reach genuine Maradona-type comparisons. He's got the balance, but he hasn't quite got the power and upper body strength the fat boy had.

But then he's only 22 at the moment - if he stays fit and looks after himself, then he's got at least 3 World Cups in him. He's got the tools to equal and surpasss Maradona I think. If he can drag an average Argentina through to the World Cup Final and win it, as happened in 86, then he'll be up there.

Big IF of course, but he's got the potential.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
There are times when he comes away with the ball still at his feet, and it just leaves me scratching my head at just how he managed it.

Isn't it? :thumbsup:

It just makes me wonder if he's the new Wilf 'Adapted To Speed' Finney?

Edit: Or the new Charles 'Charlie' Charles even..

Last edited:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
granted he scored 4 but I've seen him play and score better goals this season.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sol Campbell reckons Messi's the best player he's come across...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here