Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Linux and Linux Distros

CC2

Nov 9, 2008
I know this Is probably a long shot but I'm currently looking for mounting software like Daemontools for linux. I have searched but come up short. Everything I have found Is manual compile, In which I have but failed countless times.

Do you mean you wish to mount an ISO image as you would with Daemon Tools?

In my experience this is something built into most Linux distributions with the 'mount -o loopback' at the command line.

(Amazed at the number of fellow geeks on here!!! For the record, I have Mint installed on a prehistoric Dell laptop, RHEL 5.5 on an old HP PC, I have been dabbling with Ubuntu at work as most of the Cloud stuff seems to be built on it, Eucalyptus, Openstack, etc...).

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003

In my experience this is something built into most Linux distributions with the 'mount -o loopback' at the command line.

(Amazed at the number of fellow geeks on here!!! For the record, I have Mint installed on a prehistoric Dell laptop, RHEL 5.5 on an old HP PC, I have been dabbling with Ubuntu at work as most of the Cloud stuff seems to be built on it, Eucalyptus, Openstack, etc...).

The thing I like about Linux is you have a choice. You can either take the easy route or dig a bit deeper through shell and find out how the whole OS works.

Its good that your school allows you to use it. I wish my wifes school would be a bit more Linux friendly. They have locked down the Windows PC's so much at her school that they are at the point where they are unusable. And that's the part I don't get. They spend thousands of pounds on Windows 7, and then spend thousands of pounds on Office 10. They spend thousands of pounds on the network and Windows server only to lock it all down. Whats the point?

Also If the government took a proper look in to open source they could save an absolute fortune on lincensing.

I understand the kids need Word, Excel but I am sure Open Office / Libre Office could be written in to the sylabus without any change. But for everything else Linux is perfect.

Unfortunately there is still a lot of negativity around Linux and especially amongst admins. What a lot fail to realise is that Linux is everywhere these days. Its run a vast majority of servers, its running a vast majority of smart phones, and it's used to run the worlds fastest super computers so it can't be that bad.
Call me a cynic, but might the reason be that the consultants get commission on the Windows licences it recommends whereas they wouldn't for Open Source software?

Last edited:

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX

I really didn't know about that but yea something like mounting an Image.

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX
The thing I like about Linux is you have a choice. You can either take the easy route or dig a bit deeper through shell and find out how the whole OS works.

Thats what I like about It to. You can really delve Into It.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I reckon if I hang around long enough on this thread then someone's gonna reveal some secret info. I know a 'let's bore them off the scent' thread when I see it. Come on fellas, what is it? The meaning of life? Is there a party and I've not been told? What about secret photos of Andrea Corr buck naked? Come on I've sussed you. PM me, I won't tell a soul.

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX
I reckon if I hang around long enough on this thread then someone's gonna reveal some secret info. I know a 'let's bore them off the scent' thread when I see it. Come on fellas, what is it? The meaning of life? Is there a party and I've not been told? What about secret photos of Andrea Corr buck naked? Come on I've sussed you. PM me, I won't tell a soul.

Naw not really a secret LOL. Well everyone knows the meaning of life Is 42. As for Andrea Corr. Wham bam thank you Maam. You get my drift lol

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here