Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Linux and Linux Distros

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX
Windows 7 distro :thumbsup:

I honestly tried to go back to Windows but once I started tinkering with It. It's not the same. Only benefit I see from Windows Is the fact It has a massive gaming catalogue. Other than that I felt pretty locked down on what I could do on It.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Hi Geeks. I have Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (3 yrs long term support) running on my 5 yr old Macbook (1GB RAM) as it was struggling to cope with some internet related activity and my hardware could not run the latest Mac software.

Big fan of Ubuntu and would be happier if i had a better GPU as there is some nice aesthetic features you can run too. I would recommend this version for simplicity and fairly low CPU & RAM demands. Chrome works well, best (most stable) P2P software i have used in Transmission and looks nice too. Not quite as slick as Mac OS granted but waduwant for nowt.

After 5 years of Mac and Linux i could not face Windows which seems like a bloated disease infested animal ready for the nackers yard. Virus anyone?

Oh and 10.04 has never crashed on me.

Good luck.

I quite agree. Member of the family bought a new Dell laptop last xmas with Windows 7 on it. It was slow when they first showed me it, I was surprised considering the spec, core 2 duo and 3gb of ram but the system was not being helped with all default rubbish Dell installed on it, and now the laptop is even slower since other software has been added. Its time for a reinstall.

Because of all the default and extra software installed every 5 mins you are being asked to update something, it gets annoying. Thing I love about any Linux distro, one update does the lot and your not being bugged every few minutes asking for an update. You dont need to worry about spyware or any other rubbish.

The only downside to Linux not enough games. There where hints at a native version of Steam coming to Linux but each time the developers have said there are no plans to bring steam to Linux. One day Linux users might get the games Windows users have enjoyed for years and when that day comes millions of users would switch.

Last edited:

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX
I know this Is probably a long shot but I'm currently looking for mounting software like Daemontools for linux. I have searched but come up short. Everything I have found Is manual compile, In which I have but failed countless times.

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
Good point adrian. I do help a few people of the older generation out with their windows err i mean computer problems. Most often the reason a W machine runs slow is all the crippleware installed and set to run at bootup. It is a good half day to erradicate this through a careful re-install. Ignorance i am afraid keeps windows strong in the market. And don't start me on all the questions and updates you "need" like "do you really want to close this program". I have a girlfriend to fulfil all of my pointless question needs!

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX
Good point adrian. I do help a few people of the older generation out with their windows err i mean computer problems. Most often the reason a W machine runs slow is all the crippleware installed and set to run at bootup. It is a good half day to erradicate this through a careful re-install. Ignorance i am afraid keeps windows strong in the market. And don't start me on all the questions and updates you "need" like "do you really want to close this program". I have a girlfriend to fulfil all of my pointless question needs!

Sorry I just had to chuckle at that:lol:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'm running Kubuntu on my laptop and desktop.
Laptop has 11.04 and I'll tinker away, not bothered if I break it. I can also dual boot into windows 7 if I do break it and need to get back on line.
Desktop is running 1.04 LTS for stability. I can also boot that into win7 to play the odd game.
I also carry a knoppix CD in my bag in case I have to use other people's PCs.

I first played with linux when I read about Redhat 5 sometime around 1999. Since then I've tried a few but I just like the look and feel of Kubuntu. I always dual booted with windows and the biggest and most significant change was when I set the default boot to linux rather than windows.
The only thing I have found with it is that you need to check that any new hardware will work "out of the box"; there's generally a work around but, for example, if you want a new printer, then HP printers have much better support than Kodak (although I have a Kodak and got it working ok).

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX
I have a 1.83GHz Core Duo processor with 1GB RAM. Onboard GPU (i think) which is not very powerful. Investigation required for mint me thinks.
:thumbsup: I reckon you would be fine with those specs If I'm honest.

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX
I'm running Kubuntu on my laptop and desktop.
Laptop has 11.04 and I'll tinker away, not bothered if I break it. I can also dual boot into windows 7 if I do break it and need to get back on line.
Desktop is running 1.04 LTS for stability. I can also boot that into win7 to play the odd game.
I also carry a knoppix CD in my bag in case I have to use other people's PCs.

I first played with linux when I read about Redhat 5 sometime around 1999. Since then I've tried a few but I just like the look and feel of Kubuntu. I always dual booted with windows and the biggest and most significant change was when I set the default boot to linux rather than windows.
The only thing I have found with it is that you need to check that any new hardware will work "out of the box"; there's generally a work around but, for example, if you want a new printer, then HP printers have much better support than Kodak (although I have a Kodak and got it working ok).

Will get round to trying Kubuntu one day. I'm guessing It's VERY similar to Ubuntu?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Will get round to trying Kubuntu one day. I'm guessing It's VERY similar to Ubuntu?

It is, but I just prefer the look and feel of it.

Oh, forgot to say I also have netbook running Leenux and a Smoothwall box for backup if my router fails

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX
Might give it a try when am willing. Must say it looks nice. thanks Langney

Not a problem at all. As you can tell there Is alot of Mint users. It's one of the most popular distros. :)

It is, but I just prefer the look and feel of it.

Oh, forgot to say I also have netbook running Leenux and a Smoothwall box for backup if my router fails

Nice, a new project for my Acer. Maybe uses less resources that that Frankenstein Fedora 8 Werewolf :hilton:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
The points about very cheap microsoft products for schools (to lock in the next generation) are well founded but only part of the problem.
Schools are linked to local authorities whose understanding and sourcing of IT is legendarily inept. Almost all schools have to record data on SIMS (a Crapita production) which runs on windows. Further a lot of school techs seem to be qualified to the extent of having taken a couple of microsoft courses (in which I hate to say they probably came close to bottom of their class) and no further.
On day I may manage to persuade a school to cancel/lapse all their existing IT contracts, sack the 3/4 techs they employ, employ one person genuinely competent at linux systems in their place and spend the savings on a few pallets of pcs and laptops offices have upgraded from and equip the entire school with a decent number of stable and usable workstations.
The laptop the school issued me with (and they won't let me hook up my own to the network for security reasons :mad: ) requires me to turn it on 20 minutes before I'm going to use it, and once it is on manages to cause me more moments of stress than the most truculent teenager. by comparison my laptop which has near identical spec to the school one goes from off to email in just under a minute.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Latest version of Ubuntu on Samsung NC20 netbook and a very old PC. Plenty of support for Ubuntu.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Nice, a new project for my Acer. Maybe uses less resources that that Frankenstein Fedora 8 Werewolf :hilton:

The netbook is an asus Eee 4g, one of the first ones, and the Leenux distro I put on it was recommended as being not too resource hungry.

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX
The points about very cheap microsoft products for schools (to lock in the next generation) are well founded but only part of the problem.
Schools are linked to local authorities whose understanding and sourcing of IT is legendarily inept. Almost all schools have to record data on SIMS (a Crapita production) which runs on windows. Further a lot of school techs seem to be qualified to the extent of having taken a couple of microsoft courses (in which I hate to say they probably came close to bottom of their class) and no further.
On day I may manage to persuade a school to cancel/lapse all their existing IT contracts, sack the 3/4 techs they employ, employ one person genuinely competent at linux systems in their place and spend the savings on a few pallets of pcs and laptops offices have upgraded from and equip the entire school with a decent number of stable and usable workstations.
The laptop the school issued me with (and they won't let me hook up my own to the network for security reasons :mad: ) requires me to turn it on 20 minutes before I'm going to use it, and once it is on manages to cause me more moments of stress than the most truculent teenager. by comparison my laptop which has near identical spec to the school one goes from off to email in just under a minute.

That sucks you can't hook it up to your own network and stuff

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX
Latest version of Ubuntu on Samsung NC20 netbook and a very old PC. Plenty of support for Ubuntu.
Yea, the Ubuntu community Is really big. One thing I noticed was you would always get a reply.

The netbook is an asus Eee 4g, one of the first ones, and the Leenux distro I put on it was recommended as being not too resource hungry.

Whats the battery life in It now?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here