Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lifts to WSU?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Hi

I have an elderly gentleman needing to get up to WSU who can't make the stairs.

Are there any lifts for this situation?

Thanks

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
yeah there is a lift.

But it is NOT made available to the general public. I think you would be advised to speak to the club to try to make special arrangements - ideally in writing so you can show it to the local stewards managing the WSU lift.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
I thought it was available to old people i have seen them using it.

I would agree about contacting the club.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I asked about the lift and was told to use the stairs at the other end because there aren't so many.

Lift ? Only a goods lift.

I think this is "bugger off" in Politese.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Yes there are two, one at each end of the stand. No you cannot use them.

My father is in a similar situation and through polite enquiry to various stewards and directly to the club we have been given two different answers.

One steward on the gate at the Southern end asked if we had a lift pass and told us to apply to the club for one if not. My dad then contacted the club and was told that all season ticket holders were told that there would be no exceptions to this and that we should have considered this when purchasing tickets in the WU. They did offer to swap his ticket and one other from our group of 8 to WL but clearly this is not an ideal solution.

I know the club would be inundated with requests for lift passes but I do feel its a little short sighted to not consider cases in exceptional circumstances. Whilst I don't expect the club to foot the bill for escalators to the WU it would be nice to think that everyone, regardless of health or age is given the chance to sit exactly where they want.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

My father is in a similar situation and through polite enquiry to various stewards and directly to the club we have been given two different answers.

One steward on the gate at the Southern end asked if we had a lift pass and told us to apply to the club for one if not. My dad then contacted the club and was told that all season ticket holders were told that there would be no exceptions to this and that we should have considered this when purchasing tickets in the WU. They did offer to swap his ticket and one other from our group of 8 to WL but clearly this is not an ideal solution.

I know the club would be inundated with requests for lift passes but I do feel its a little short sighted to not consider cases in exceptional circumstances. Whilst I don't expect the club to foot the bill for escalators to the WU it would be nice to think that everyone, regardless of health or age is given the chance to sit exactly where they want.

You ignored advice & chose the only part of the ground with significant stairs WHY? & in less than a year you have an issue...You've made your bed etc etc

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield
If you were specifically told it was an area that was unsuitable for people who can't deal with stairs, why would you pick a seat there regardless? It's nearly as stupid as the lady with vertigo who was warned not to get a ticket for the very top of St James' Park, she ignored the clubs advice and once up there couldn't bring herself to come back down at the end of the game

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If you were specifically told it was an area that was unsuitable for people who can't deal with stairs, why would you pick a seat there regardless? It's nearly as stupid as the lady with vertigo who was warned not to get a ticket for the very top of St James' Park, she ignored the clubs advice and once up there couldn't bring herself to come back down at the end of the game

That's right.

Move to WSL as the club have kindly offered. "Not ideal"!?. You'll still have great seats in a great stadium.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
If there are no options for your friend getting up to WSL, i'd be more than willing to swap my North stand ticket for one evening.

PM me if you're interested, just bear in mind people have a tendancy to stand where I 'sit'.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I know this has been done to death but I couldn't disagree more. It's up there with the concept of putting tarmac tracks up to the tops of mountains in wilderness areas of Scotland so that they are wheelchair accessible. There are lots of steps, deal with it.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005

No sympathy really. They made it very clear when buying season tickets. Why wouldn't West Lower be ideal, surely it's better than him struggling up the stairs each week.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
I know this has been done to death but I couldn't disagree more. It's up there with the concept of putting tarmac tracks up to the tops of mountains in wilderness areas of Scotland so that they are wheelchair accessible. There are lots of steps, deal with it.

Agreed.
For those with mobility issues, prime seats in WSL should more than suffice.

Safety issue too. In the event of an evacuation, and/or the lifts failing, less able bodied must be able to make a quick exit too. Lower tier is ideal.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Safety issue too. In the event of an evacuation, and/or the lifts failing, less able bodied must be able to make a quick exit too. Lower tier is ideal.

This could be a rather big issue. I have seen more than a couple of older people struggling on the stairs and in the stand and you just wonder what would happen to them in an emergency. Maybe a bit dramatic but surely a strong chance of being knocked over and trampled, especially if they are holding up 100's or 1000'd of people behind them on the stair cases

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Will there be lifts to ESU ?

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
A lot of people chose WSU because of cost and most probably didn't realise how hard the stairs would be until they had to go up them. What would be the cost of escalators, every shop built with a least one upper floor has them installed so I wouldn't think it's excessive. Also you don't need two escalators side by side like shops, you just reverse the direction after the game.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield

is she still there?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here