Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lifts to WSU?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Thanks for replies.

In a related issue what are the chances of a taxi drop off and pick up directly outside the ground?

If it is feasible how long do you have to wait after the game?

Thanks

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield
A lot of people chose WSU because of cost and most probably didn't realise how hard the stairs would be until they had to go up them. What would be the cost of escalators, every shop built with a least one upper floor has them installed so I wouldn't think it's excessive. Also you don't need two escalators side by side like shops, you just reverse the direction after the game.

I don't know what part of "there will be at least five flights of stairs, they will be difficult to get up. There are no lifts or escalators available. We therefore advise able bodied people only to buy in west stand upper" they could fail to understand. If you didn't realise that they would be hard after that sort of warning, then you should probably seek some sort of brain transplant

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
A lot of people chose WSU because of cost and most probably didn't realise how hard the stairs would be until they had to go up them. What would be the cost of escalators, every shop built with a least one upper floor has them installed so I wouldn't think it's excessive. Also you don't need two escalators side by side like shops, you just reverse the direction after the game.

Thnk you'll find that safety will probably require there to two, in case one goes wrong.........................

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
I don't know what part of "there will be at least five flights of stairs, they will be difficult to get up. There are no lifts or escalators available. We therefore advise able bodied people only to buy in west stand upper" they could fail to understand. If you didn't realise that they would be hard after that sort of warning, then you should probably seek some sort of brain transplant

I consider myself to be able bodied and fairly fit. I chose to sit elsewhere but sometimes go upstairs to meet friends after the game, and by the time I get there I'm bloody knackered. Also, not everyone was able to attend the presentation so had to rely on the discretion of another person to buy the ticket.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Thanks for replies.

1 - In a related issue what are the chances of a taxi drop off and pick up directly outside the ground?

2- If it is feasible how long do you have to wait after the game?

Thanks

1- None - there are 22,000 people all trying to get home.

2 - - See 1

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I consider myself to be able bodied and fairly fit. I chose to sit elsewhere but sometimes go upstairs to meet friends after the game, and by the time I get there I'm bloody knackered. Also, not everyone was able to attend the presentation so had to rely on the discretion of another person to buy the ticket.

They didn't say able bodied they said fit... and I'm sorry, but if you're "bloody knackered" after going up the stairs, you are not fit.

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
They didn't say able bodied they said fit... and I'm sorry, but if you're "bloody knackered" after going up the stairs, you are not fit.

Obviously, and I'm sure a lot of people who thought like me have just found out they're not considered fit. I suggest you inform Richard Hebberd's Syrup his information about being able bodied is wrong.

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield
Obviously, and I'm sure a lot of people who thought like me have just found out they're not considered fit. I suggest you inform Richard Hebberd's Syrup his information about being able bodied is wrong.

Yes, my use of the term able bodied was wrong. The club did infact use the phrase physically fit. But the point still stands regardless - the club informed people that the stairs may prove troublesome and advised those who would struggle getting up and down them to go somewhere else. If people chose to ignore the warnings thinking "oh, it'll be ok" then it is 100% their own faults and they've got to live with the consequences. Just like that bloke who got his legs chewed off by a shark despite the beach being closed and there being shark warnings everywhere

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If you were specifically told it was an area that was unsuitable for people who can't deal with stairs, why would you pick a seat there regardless? It's nearly as stupid as the lady with vertigo who was warned not to get a ticket for the very top of St James' Park, she ignored the clubs advice and once up there couldn't bring herself to come back down at the end of the game

:lol:

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Out of interest, what would happen to someone who is temporarily incapacitated and can't manage stairs? Also, I understand that there is a lift available to 1901 members, but I may be wrong.

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield
Out of interest, what would happen to someone who is temporarily incapacitated and can't manage stairs? Also, I understand that there is a lift available to 1901 members, but I may be wrong.

I believe that the club moves you temporarily to another section of the ground, probably west lower until you are able to do the stairs again. All of the 1901 club seats are on higher levels, so the club would be foolish not to provide disabled access with a lift to them for those willing to fork out that amount of money - otherwise nobody with a disability would be able to be a 1901 member. For the normal fans, there are plenty of other areas they can sit within the stadium (ie everywhere apart from west upper) that doesn't involve being off the ground floor

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
My wife is a season ticket holder along with the other members of our group in WSU. She recently had a back op and couldn't climb the stairs. Initial enquiries to stewards on her first match after op resulted in "You shouldn't have bought WSU S/T if you can't climb stairs. You were told at presentation lifts not available".
After telling them not to be thick as her problem arose after buying S/T they directed us to reception where they were very helpful and in fact one guy took us to a lift and sorted it out.
She needed to do this on a couple of occasions but can now climb the stairs again.
I think club are sympathetic in wifes situation, i.e short term problem, but not for anyone who needs to always use lifts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here