Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lifelong Albion fan banned for 2 years for telling palace fan to shut up in 1901

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Having quickly scanned this thread, can we presume the ticket holder who has 'obviously' invited the over-exhuberant Palace fan (as seems corroborated by a number of fans near by) has also had his ticket revoked....?

I understand that 1901 club 'rules' are quite clear about opposing fan behaviour.

Does anyone else think the Club should also make some statement about the 'Palace fan' reaction and its resultant punishment for the original ticket holder who invited him. I would have thought in all fairness to 1901 members, that much more clarity for the future needs to be confirmed in writing......with particular reference to this incident.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
I think what's most concerning is the increasing stories around people being banned, for seemingly doing things we have all done at certain times... standing up, shouting something abusive (be honest, have you ever shouted something abusive at a player/manager/fan/steward etc at the football, the answer is yes!), being a bit drunk.

To ban somebody from their own club, from supporting their own team, is a HUGE deal. That the club (Richard Hebbard i presume) seems to think it's perfectly acceptable to simply hand out bans without at least warning people first is horrifying.

Thats exactly what they are - stories. I've yet to see anything that constitutes any kind of verified and objective account of what has happened in any apparent banning case. We don't know the exact circumstances of any event so cannot come to any reasonable conclusion. It's unfair to tar the club with bad intentions on the basis of speculation. Worse for us fans, it's also doing no favours to anyone with any genuine cause for complaint as any support needs to be based on accurate information.

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
So spoonie, what would you like us to do about this?

I presume that you would like us to lodge some kind of protest with the club either on an individual basis or as a group but so little is clear that it makes that approach a simple waste of time right now.

So far all I can see is that a BHAFC fan in the 1901 took exception to an CP fan in the same area, there was an incident between the two and now the fan has been banned.

I don't know:

- which BHAFC fan (or more specifically incident) we are talking about. Some posters seem much more informed but there is still plenty of speculation about exactly what incident/individual we are talking about. Is it the one who quietly approach the CP fan after the game, an aggressive fan, one and the same, someone else?
- what the actual behaviour of the CP fan was
- what the incident(s) was
- if the banned fan has any prior
- what reasoning the club gave
- what the banned fan has done to try and communicate with the club and why the club are refusing to communicate
- what the banned fan is doing about it now

There is plenty of comment, some of supposedly informed, but very little that is verified. Also, there is almost no chance of getting any comment from the club on this matter on NSC therefore I am only getting one side of the argument. Quite how we get the club's side of the story save things going either through the media or some civil suit.

Is there anyway that someone with closer links to the club mediate between the individual and the club?

I am not saying I don't believe that an individual is being treated unfairly but before any kind of meaningful support can be provided the facts from both sides need to be known. I also think that a reasonable, low profile approach between the parties concerned is the best bet atm as a NSC protest under the current level of disinformation would be pointless. We could all jump on a reactive bandwagon of indignation and then be made to look pretty silly if the facts are not really as presented. If the facts are as portrayed then the individual can expect alot of justified support, including mine.

I agree with all of this post. If it could be proved that the fan in question has been unfairly treated I am sure that he would get support from a large percentage of all Albion fans, however the problem I suspect will be how this can be proven beyond doubt, as their seems to be such differing opinions as to which fan it was and what he did to warrant the ban. If it was a case of mistaken identity or if the Club are percieved to have been over zealous with their ban then I would be more than happy to offer my support.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
......do you want a ..... copy of the letter sent from the club banning the fan?.....

If that letter describes what it is they are accusing him of then yes I would like to see it. You can remove any names/seat numbers that could identify anyone if you like.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
after relaying this thread to my Mrs and explained that this had left me somewhat mystified as per usual she came up with the most logical answer" they have a big stadium they are in their eyes a bigger club and its no longer about whether you are the most loyal fan but its about MONEY if you get banned for whatever there is another fan(and I use the term loosely)ready with the money to buy another ST" as I would ..........but to be honest this has put a rather sour taste on me buying an ST ..its not the club I used to go and watch at the Goldstone ,Withers, or Priestfield where I could shout, moan, and use the occasional expletive.
as for using any sort of so called bad language my daughter used to come with me on the East terrace at the Goldstone(the stool had an inch chopped off the legs every season) and some of the language there was withering but it did her no harm.
if you take the expletives,shouting and banter out of the game then its finished because the JCL's of this world will not support a losing team, IMHO if we had not got promotion last season and were near the bottom of the 1st we would not be having these problems, the true fans would still be going and shouting sometimes shouting abuse ...........but they would be there
something the club should remember, they the fans are the people that gave them the passion to get them where they are now.
even me listening to them on player, little monetary support I know but support nevertheless .
and I am now wondering that at home I can shout and even swear if I want to,do I need to get myself a season ticket if I can't do that at the Amex

edit .....................I bet you any palace fan reading this will be pissing himself laughing

Last edited:

Direct Dave

Oct 26, 2011
As far as I can make out, the Amex is a community stadium, which seems to be very family orientated. This theme appears to be what they want running trough their staff and supporters, the club seem to condemn anyone who does not want to abide by this.
It appears a simple policy has been put in place which is, RULE 1. - come and watch the football, sit in your seat and enjoy one of our pies, wave your flag and sing happy songs...
If you fail to follow this procedure and misbehave in any way, you will face immediate ejection which in turn results to a ban from the club.
Harsh maybe, but simple...

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
As far as I can make out, the Amex is a community stadium, which seems to be very family orientated. This theme appears to be what they want running trough their staff and supporters, the club seem to condemn anyone who does not want to abide by this.
It appears a simple policy has been put in place which is, RULE 1. - come and watch the football, sit in your seat and enjoy one of our pies, wave your flag and sing happy songs...
If you fail to follow this procedure and misbehave in any way, you will face immediate ejection which in turn results to a ban from the club.

bit like North Korea then

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And what if this was the exception rather than the rule to play to your cynicism? We've all been treated as cattle/hooligans by clubs in more recent years just because trouble was anticipated and authorities are stuck in an 80's time-warp often as not. Doesn't mean we are?

I don't mean to say I don't believe it, more I take the story with a pinch of salt until there is more reputable information/evidence. I'm not going to say this story is bull, but based on what has been said on here, I'm not going to lose my rag at the club. I'm not going to just get angry with the club the moment someone posts about how unfair they or their friend have been treated, because generally people doing that don't give an entirely accurate account of things "All I did was tell him to shut up" instead of "I told the pikey **** to shut his mouth before I shut it for him...". If it's the exception that proves the rule, then truth will probably come out.

so all in all it seems like myself and my two mates(both now deceased) who used to walk the East terrace at the Goldstone and shout at the top of our voices not all swearing ....but some....would if any of us were going to Falmer would no longer be welcome?

Of course you would be, just not in the current east stand (family stand with zero tolerance, supposedly) or the corporate 1901 section. Your best bet would be the north stand, or perhaps wsu.

The 1901 club was brought in with the idea of it being corporate. Yes, a lot of fans took the opportunity for extra luxury, more than expected, but it was designed as corporate and has a corporate policy. Acting like a north stander is not going to be tolerated there. Acting like a north stander will be tolerated in the north stand.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Oh come on, this was not your everyday match. If it had been Barnsley, this would never have been an issue. Palace at home (for only the third time in the league in about 23 years) is a huge, highly-charged match. The club know this - that's why there were loads of extra police both at the ground and in Brighton, and additional measures for getting away fans to the station. There had already been arrests earlier in the evening.

To invite Palace fans into the 1901 is just plain idiotic for starters, zero common sense, and if they start over-celebrating stewards should act, not leave it to fans. We do quite enough for away fans without allowing this sort of thing.

It reminds me of an incident a few years ago, when Millwall and Man City were having a running feud, and away fans were banned at the New Den. Some Man City-supporting BBC newsreader (Susan Bookbinder) decided she was going in the home end to break the ban, and then had a phone-in the next day about how intimidated she felt. I remember thinking 'FFS love, the Met and Manchester Police, and both clubs, have decided with all their experience this is right - you go in the home end, and bleat it's intimidating. You're either completely stupid, or know nothing about football.'

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I don't mean to say I don't believe it, more I take the story with a pinch of salt until there is more reputable information/evidence. I'm not going to say this story is bull, but based on what has been said on here, I'm not going to lose my rag at the club. I'm not going to just get angry with the club the moment someone posts about how unfair they or their friend have been treated, because generally people doing that don't give an entirely accurate account of things "All I did was tell him to shut up" instead of "I told the pikey **** to shut his mouth before I shut it for him...". If it's the exception that proves the rule, then truth will probably come out.

Of course you would be, just not in the current east stand (family stand with zero tolerance, supposedly) or the corporate 1901 section. Your best bet would be the north stand, or perhaps wsu.

The 1901 club was brought in with the idea of it being corporate. Yes, a lot of fans took the opportunity for extra luxury, more than expected, but it was designed as corporate and has a corporate policy. Acting like a north stander is not going to be tolerated there. Acting like a north stander will be tolerated in the north stand.

but it is supposedly OK for a palace fan to do this then

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
To invite Palace fans into the 1901 is just plain idiotic for starters, zero common sense, and if they start over-celebrating stewards should act, not leave it to fans. We do quite enough for away fans without allowing this sort of thing.

When did the club invite a CPFC fan ?

The club has sold a corporate ticket to someone, probably a company and they chose to invite the CPFC fan as a guest so their choice not the clubs.

How on earth you get to blaming the club is stupid and they just selll a corporate ticket to whoever has the money to pay for it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
but it is supposedly OK for a palace fan to do this then

As far as I can see, he celebrated his team's goal. That's acceptable behaviour, even in a corporate area.

When I say acting like a north stander, I mean standing, singing songs, swearing, goading the opposition (no, I don't consider celebrating a goal goading), aggressive (though not crossing the line) tribal behaviour etc.

As a corporate area, there will always be opposition fans there, from the opposition board members/owners etc and their guests, to the brighton fans/corporate 'fans' who have friends/clients who are fans of the opposition.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
I disagree strongly. There will be plenty of things that should warrant an immediate ban. There will also be things which don't, where a warning will be issued and hopefully that will be that - lessons will be learned.

Most instances are probably relatively clear cut as to the action required. The difficulty comes, I guess, where those two things meet - similarly to a referee on the field of play and "is it a yellow or red card offence" situations.

One thing is for certain - the club absolutely do not want to ban people from watching the Albion for no good reason at all.

what do you disagree with? i think we're making the same point, that people should be warned before being handed a ban (unless they're caught lamping somebody, but that goes without saying doesn't it).

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Just so as I know - is this the same bloke that 'empire' was on about on the other thread?

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Due to the thread explaing what happened I am locking this thread to stop further speculation, we need to source out he legal standing on this, I suggest and ask that no other threads are started on this subject please.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
When did the club invite a CPFC fan ?

The club has sold a corporate ticket to someone, probably a company and they chose to invite the CPFC fan as a guest so their choice not the clubs.

How on earth you get to blaming the club is stupid and they just selll a corporate ticket to whoever has the money to pay for it.

Are you being deliberately dense? Where did I say the CLUB invited them? SOMEONE, though, HAS either invited them, or given them the season tickets. And whoever did that has some responsibility for this incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here