Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lifelong Albion fan banned for 2 years for telling palace fan to shut up in 1901

Status
Not open for further replies.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I heard you the first time!!!!!

And, having seen HB&B post, if that is the incident then good riddance to the individual.

Perhaps it's not that black and white e.g. there are other possibilities to 1 and 2 mentioned? Still, good to judge and all that without any understanding

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Perhaps it's not that black and white e.g. there are other possibilities to 1 and 2 mentioned? Still, good to judge and all that without any understanding

Don't you think that's a pretty hypocritical post, given that you assumed that the first story was utter gospel, and shouted me down for daring to suggest that there MIGHT be more to it?

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
Brilliant comments, I love the clearasil one, you can always get a young 'un with that one and it still rackles with you evidently. Spots are always a sore subject for teenagers. That and virginity! I knew someone would spend half an hour trawling the archives to yet again quote out of context. Blimey, I really rattled some of you kids cages with that one. Still, as I said, back in your incubator and remember, we woz there and we stood up and said NO! (to quote Attila) Lucky for you eh?!

I'm probably as old as you are, I have children and it took all of 5 minutes to find. I was also 'there' in '97 and if I'd made those comments I'd be curled up in a ball and dying of embarrassment right now.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I'm probably as old as you are, I have children and it took all of 5 minutes to find. I was also 'there' in '97 and if I'd made those comments I'd be curled up in a ball and dying of embarrassment right now.

Go ahead and die then, no one's stopping you if you're that affected! Bit extreme but each to there own I guess. Christ on a bike, nothing like bearing a grudge is there? My opinion is what I'm entitled to and that particular night an ice-age ago was perfectly acceptable in mine and others opion. The question is now whether I want to look at all 594 posts of yours in order to take issue with something. But have you ever written something emotionally-based, remotely controversial etc in order to warrant this? Help me out, 'cause I wouldn't want to waste 5 mins on you. Obviously I warrant your investigation time (5mins my arse!). I feel quite important for a complete stranger to do that!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm sceptical of anyone who comes on here and claims they are being harshly treated by the club, and claim they only did something harmless. There's almost always more to the story and the innocent action isn't usually so innocent.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Don't you think that's a pretty hypocritical post, given that you assumed that the first story was utter gospel, and shouted me down for daring to suggest that there MIGHT be more to it?

Not at all. And do stop being so bloody emotional. I didn't "shout you down". I disagreed. Rightly so, but it's made you angry it would seem and this is the first opportunity to swipe back I guess? And what's with the capitals, more emotion? Stop having a pop for the sakes of it. My reply to drew was to point out that the 2 options he presented aren't the only ones. I've been party to the issue, possibly more than many on here including you? I don't know. And as I've said, I'm curious as to why the club won't engage with the individual and their protestations of unfairness. But there are many more questions that need answers thereafter. Again, club just not interested in hearing a different version of events it seems. Why? I'm sure in the same situation, you'd want to give your side against. Especially if it ended up costing you a lot of money.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I'm sceptical of anyone who comes on here and claims they are being harshly treated by the club, and claim they only did something harmless. There's almost always more to the story and the innocent action isn't usually so innocent.

And what if this was the exception rather than the rule to play to your cynicism? We've all been treated as cattle/hooligans by clubs in more recent years just because trouble was anticipated and authorities are stuck in an 80's time-warp often as not. Doesn't mean we are?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Go ahead and die then, no one's stopping you if you're that affected! Bit extreme but each to there own I guess. Christ on a bike, nothing like bearing a grudge is there? My opinion is what I'm entitled to and that particular night an ice-age ago was perfectly acceptable in mine and others opion. The question is now whether I want to look at all 594 posts of yours in order to take issue with something. But have you ever written something emotionally-based, remotely controversial etc in order to warrant this? Help me out, 'cause I wouldn't want to waste 5 mins on you. Obviously I warrant your investigation time (5mins my arse!). I feel quite important for a complete stranger to do that!

I've just noticed your signature.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Ever seen the film Passport to Pimlico? Well its a bit like the 1901 Club. It's a different type of Albion experience. The club don't want any type of thuggery, bad language or intimidation in there.

Now you can bring a guest along to the 1901 club if you have sufficent seats and you can also give your seat to someone else to use if you wish. So opposing fans who may be colleagues or friends of Albion fans are likely to attend.

From recollection, IF this was the guy I heard remonstrate with a Palace he said ' f*** you f*** off you ****. You fuckin shit **** Palace twat.(or words very similar) To which the Albion fan he was with had a go back but also asked his mate to calm down. The incident was probably noted although the language probably not heard by a 1901 offical.

You cannot use that type of language at the Albion nowadays, the club no longer NEED you support 1000's of others are ready to take your place that is just the way it is I'm afraid.

God that's a lame reason to get a ban?
Can you imagine that guy telling his mates "all I did was tell a Palace fan to f*** off" also he paid a few grand for the privilege. Ask yourself this... If the tides were turned and it was a Palace fan at Selhurst telling an Albion fan to f*** off in the Palace corporate end, do you think Palace would have banned their fan?

I think you all know the answer. This is bollocks and the Amex is getting more and more sterile because of it.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
so all in all it seems like myself and my two mates(both now deceased) who used to walk the East terrace at the Goldstone and shout at the top of our voices not all swearing ....but some....would if any of us were going to Falmer would no longer be welcome?
I must say reading this thread makes me feel rather aggrieved and the feeling I am getting is that my club have morfed into MU football used to be a working class game with lots of working class people going to watch it with lots of working class language to go along with it (and forgive me for saying this if Gus got up and started singing "we are f***ing brilliant" at the top of his voice would he also get a ban).
I would ask the club to explain their actions.
working class fan(of 50+ years) now retired and hoping to see his team playing in the flesh very soon..........but maybe only once if I am not allowed to use the same words as the Albion manager.

on second thoughts no need to respond I know the answer

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
god that's a lame reason to get a ban?
Can you imagine that guy telling his mates "all i did was tell a palace fan to f*** off" also he paid a few grand for the privilege. Ask yourself this... If the tides were turned and it was a palace fan at selhurst telling an albion fan to f*** off in the palace corporate end, do you think palace would have banned their fan?

I think you all know the answer. This is bollocks and the amex is getting more and more sterile because of it.

this

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You're joking? Even if what HB&B saw was not the incident, how could that possibly warrant a 2 year ban. Banned for a minor bit of bad language, pathetic.

No, I'm not joking. Let's be honest, if what HB&B says was said is correct, it's is unlikely that the language was all that got him banned, almost certainly the manner in which it was said, ie aggressively and probably threatenly. That is not going to be acceptable in an area such as the 1901. It's hardly a surprise that the 1901 is going to be an area for hospitality and that is a revenue stream the club are likely to pursue and therefore it is not just Albion fans that will be there. Get used to it, whether we like it or not, it ain't the 70s anymore.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
so all in all it seems like myself and my two mates(both now deceased) who used to walk the East terrace at the Goldstone and shout at the top of our voices not all swearing ....but some....would if any of us were going to Falmer would no longer be welcome?
I must say reading this thread makes me feel rather aggrieved and the feeling I am getting is that my club have morfed into MU football used to be a working class game with lots of working class people going to watch it with lots of working class language to go along with it (and forgive me for saying this if Gus got up and started singing "we are f***ing brilliant" at the top of his voice would he also get a ban).
I would ask the club to explain their actions.
working class fan(of 50+ years) now retired and hoping to see his team playing in the flesh very soon..........but maybe only once if I am not allowed to use the same words as the Albion manager.

on second thoughts no need to respond I know the answer

If HB&Bs account is the one in question then it was much more than singing a 'dodgy' song. There was a level of personalised and targeted abuse that would get you thrown out of any respectable establishment - and it seems that's the level the 1901 is aiming for. This is no longer football as a working class sport - with all the attendant emotion - but rather football as theatre (and they don't waste any time in throwing unruly people out of them).

The only doubt still hanging in my mind is why the club went 'nuclear' straight away and didn't issue a strong written warning with the clear message that it would be a lengthy ban next time. But maybe they had already done so?

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
No, I'm not joking. Let's be honest, if what HB&B says was said is correct, it's is unlikely that the language was all that got him banned, almost certainly the manner in which it was said, ie aggressively and probably threatenly. That is not going to be acceptable in an area such as the 1901. It's hardly a surprise that the 1901 is going to be an area for hospitality and that is a revenue stream the club are likely to pursue and therefore it is not just Albion fans that will be there. Get used to it, whether we like it or not, it ain't the 70s anymore.

Drew, I was in the 1901 section when this happened and althogh I know of the gent that has got ban, I wasn't actually a guest of his but was sitting close by. I an 95% certain that the guy hove born&bred is talking about is NOT the guy that has been banned. There was a guy shouting who swearing aggressively at the Palace fan in front of him who to my knowledge nothing happened to him. However the guy that HAS been banned walked quietly towards the palace fan at the end of the game and told him to have some respect when in the home end. I have offered the club my eyewitness account but as of yet have heard nothing, and nor do I expect to hear anything. This is definately a case of a true lifelong Albion fan being wronged and I'm a believer in you stick up for your own especially when wronged, but seems like the club care more bothered about a Palace fan celebrating a goal in the Brighton end, than a fan that has been to Le Harve, marched in London, had a season ticket a Gillingham, withdean and the goldstone, and generally travelled to more northern shitholes than you can imagine in support of the Albion. You surely cannot believe this is right?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
this is beginning to sound like MISTAKEN IDENTITY

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I think the best solution would have been to kick him out of the 1901 and move him in with the rest of us with a final warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here