Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Life Before North Stand Chat - ***Official NSC Appreciation Thread***

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I think the last game I 'watched' on pre-digital Ceefax was the Reading v Tranmere game on the Sunday after the Peterborough game that ensured our promotion. I was working in a pub at the time and due to something being on Sky Sports, I couldn't put on SSN.

Rock and roll...

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
You've called the Seagull Line on 0845 800 609, and shortly we'll tell you some EXCITING news about Chris Cattlin's potential new striker signing, but first....an...update...on...the...reserves...three...nil...victory...over...[49p gone] ...Wolverhampton...Wanderers....reserves....last...night...with....a...brace....for...young...trialist....Christopher....
Longestnameintheworld....and....a....late....clincher...from....Steve....Jacobs....the...Albion....were....indebted [another 49p gone]....to....long....serving....goalkeeper....Perry...Digweed [tick tock]....for....a...number....of...outstanding...sav [click...line goes dead as one of your parents comes in]

God bless the days pre-itemised phone billing!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You've called the Seagull Line on 0845 800 609, and shortly we'll tell you some EXCITING news about Chris Cattlin's potential new striker signing, but first....an...update...on...the...reserves...three...nil...victory...over...[49p gone] ...Wolverhampton...Wanderers....reserves....last...night...with....a...brace....for...young...trialist....Christopher....
Longestnameintheworld....and....a....late....clincher...from....Steve....Jacobs....the...Albion....were....indebted [another 49p gone]....to....long....serving....goalkeeper....Perry...Digweed [tick tock]....for....a...number....of...outstanding...sav [click...line goes dead as one of your parents comes in]

It actually started with " You/ve called the Seagull line. It's the number for Albion information every day 24 hours a day" It then went on as you've described. How f***** sad is it that I can remember it verbatim

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Between 1989 and 1995, Argus cut outs friends sent me and newspapers which were two weeks late when they arrived and BBC World Service. 1995-2002, emails and bits and pieces on the net. Returned to UK 2002 so got down every now and then and I think I found Brightonfans first and the newsfeed there. NSC 2003 and I entered paradise.

Thanks Bozza. You saved my life.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I didn't know that people like the pompous, self absorbed Herr Tubwanker existed. Maybe because I didn't go to University to find out that' 'most people haven't 'haven't learned about life's rich tapestry' due to a lack of higher education.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I didn't know that people like the pompous, self absorbed Herr Tubwanker existed.

Maybe it's because you live in such a narrow corridor? Had you broadenend your horizons i'm sure you would have meet someone like me. I'm not unique you know.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
As an exile for the past 22 years, but living for most of that within the range of the BBC, before the internet came along my only real lifeline was CEEFAX. The internet (since 95 ish) and The Seagull Server (since 1996, the original home of NSC) brought me back up to speed with the Albion.

From 91 to 94 I was backpacking in Asia and almost completely in the dark about things Brighton-related. With only a shortwave radio for company it was a question of finding good enough reception and working out the right time zone to hear the Saturday results on the World Service. But during the week on the cricket-biased 'Sports Round Up', even the BBC didn't bother with results outside the First Division/Premiership.

My saviour countries were Thailand and Hong Kong, because the Bangkok Post and South China Morning Post respectively were the only two papers in Asia that printed English lower division results and tables. Beyond that I han't a clue what was happening for almost three seasons...

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I literally remember in 1988 having to phone either Port Vale or Notts County to find out their midweek score which meant a win for us on the Saturday took us up. Or do I mean 87? Anyway, such a thing would now be unheard of.

You mean 88. I remember being in the bath listening to the results (would it have ben radio 2 then?) and being in despair until the Notts County result came through.

Best memory of the Seagull line for me was being out on the Town in Brighton just before Christmas 1979 and worrying terribly about the result away at Wolves as we were only 1 off the bottom in Div 1. Then I rang 8049 and found out we'd won 3-1 and Wardy had scored a hat trick. Paaaaarty!!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I personally feel nostalgic for the pre-internet and SSN days when information wasn't as readily available and Final Score, the Argus/late Argus sport edition and the sunday papers were the methods I used to keep abreast of the Albion and all the scores and league tables. As handy as it is, the internet has taken away some of the fun imho.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing

Post of the day!:clap2:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I saw our 4-3 defeat to Rotherham in the early 90s on teletext. Literally sat there and watched it update.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Back in the day I remember television shops always had a tv facing out the window with the vidiprinter on....and a huddle of blokes come 4:45.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here