Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Life Before North Stand Chat - ***Official NSC Appreciation Thread***

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Can you remember a time before NSC came into being?

How did you get Albion news and other topical items and share it with others?

I am so grateful for this website as I'm sure most users are in lots of different ways.

For me:

1. I used to avidly read the Argus for any snippets about my team.
2. I would buy the weekly Sports Argus paper.
3. There were many Saturday evenings around 6pm when I would be waiting outside the paper shop waiting for the Classified edition.
4. Videprinter etc on the tv.

Post NSC:

1. News views etc.
2. Up to date photographs of Falmer etc.
3. Match days is brilliant with real-time updates from I-phone users at the match etc. Photographs, video clips etc.

I could go on, but for me the whole experience of being an Albion fan has improved dramatically since this site has been in existence. Seven+ years old.

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
NSC has been about since early 1997 (possibly late '96) just before fans UTD. Prior to that, Internet users relied on the email group, and also the guestbook on an unofficial BHA site. Before the Internet, I relied on the argus and teletext!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
. Seven+ years old.

You are a credit to your English teacher, writing that well at your age :lolol:

In answer to your question, I had a life before NSC, thanks NSC

Last edited:

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Before i joined NSC it was either Argus, BBC, offical site

I was also on 606.

Now i use the site to sometimes read articles and find out ticket prices and order said tickets. This is my news, politics and football rolled in to one site.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I wouldn't mind betting there's still a sizeable number of Albion fans who rely solely on the Argus and the match programme for their Albion news.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Before i joined NSC it was either Argus, BBC, offical site

I was also on 606.

Now i use the site to sometimes read articles and find out ticket prices and order said tickets. This is my news, politics and football rolled in to one site.

Fairly sure NSC existed prior to the club actually having an official site.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Ceefax, the occasional Argus that got sent to me, Saint and Greavsie, but mainly phoning the number that paid for weird uncle Tony's holidays to Thailand.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
The Argus , Programmes and Website

only difference really between now and then is I went to the games optimistic and such , NSC has broken me in that respect

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton 8049

You've called the Seagull Line on 0845 800 609, and shortly we'll tell you some EXCITING news about Chris Cattlin's potential new striker signing, but first....an...update...on...the...reserves...three...nil...victory...over...[49p gone] ...Wolverhampton...Wanderers....reserves....last...night...with....a...brace....for...young...trialist....Christopher....
Longestnameintheworld....and....a....late....clincher...from....Steve....Jacobs....the...Albion....were....indebted [another 49p gone]....to....long....serving....goalkeeper....Perry...Digweed [tick tock]....for....a...number....of...outstanding...sav [click...line goes dead as one of your parents comes in]

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
carrier pigeon flying across the Atlantic to the UK and for very important games , a telegram.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I literally remember in 1988 having to phone either Port Vale or Notts County to find out their midweek score which meant a win for us on the Saturday took us up. Or do I mean 87? Anyway, such a thing would now be unheard of.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Do clublines still exist? Not much use for them anymore.
I remember the payphone at school you could call it & get about 30 seconds before it'd cut out. Used to get £2 a week pocket money & a lot of the time would hand it straight over to my parents so i could ring clubcall.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
There's nothing like the sheer excitement of watching a game live on Ceefax

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Ceefax, daily newspapers and fanzines.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
You've called the Seagull Line on 0845 800 609, and shortly we'll tell you some EXCITING news about Chris Cattlin's potential new striker signing, but first....an...update...on...the...reserves...three...nil...victory...over...[49p gone] ...Wolverhampton...Wanderers....reserves....last...night...with....a...brace....for...young...trialist....Christopher....
Longestnameintheworld....and....a....late....clincher...from....Steve....Jacobs....the...Albion....were....indebted [another 49p gone]....to....long....serving....goalkeeper....Perry...Digweed [tick tock]....for....a...number....of...outstanding...sav [click...line goes dead as one of your parents comes in]
ahhh, those were the days :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here