Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Life, BBC 9pm

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Yes, if the previews are anything to go by it will be compulsive viewing.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
If this is what the beeb are splurging our licence fee on then it looks to have been worth it...if the first programme is anything to go by.

Some amazing animals, loved the grebes, cheetahs and cappuccin monkeys!

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
brilliant in HD. for a moment I almost thought the licence fee was both a good idea and worth it.

but then I thought nah fcuk it.

Absolute class! My only gripe is that it should be on earlier so that it can be viewed by the whole family together. If you want kids to get into wildlife and natural history,don't schedule it at 9pm when a lot of them are in bed! Far more educational and interesting than the dross the beeb put out in the early evening.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Magnificent

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Absolute class! My only gripe is that it should be on earlier so that it can be viewed by the whole family together. If you want kids to get into wildlife and natural history,don't schedule it at 9pm when a lot of them are in bed! Far more educational and interesting than the dross the beeb put out in the early evening.

The only problem with that is I think many younger people would get quite upset by the sight of an ostrich getting torn apart by three cheetahs, or a lepoard seal flinging a baby penguin around followed the the carcus of said penguin sinking slowly to the sea bed. I know its natural, and what wild animals do, but I think younger viewers would probably not like it.

Top program anyawy.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I agree Cheeky. I am quite squeamish about this and although I know these deaths occur everyday as its nature I personally do not want to see the kill or the lead up to the kill with a terrified animal facing death and then the gory ripping of entrails. Its my only criticism of programmes like this is the almost rabid and sexual fascination of animals being hunted and killed by its predators. I reckon some of the cameramen get hard on's filming it.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
As a case in point the clip with the Whales hunting the seal when they showed the camerman after he was absolutely gutted the seal got away.

The only problem with that is I think many younger people would get quite upset by the sight of an ostrich getting torn apart by three cheetahs, or a lepoard seal flinging a baby penguin around followed the the carcus of said penguin sinking slowly to the sea bed. I know its natural, and what wild animals do, but I think younger viewers would probably not like it.

Top program anyawy.

Fair point, but what about the flipside of that, like the seal last night who managed to evade the pack of Killer Whales? Who, if they are honest, did not give a little inward cheer when he surfaced again at the end? Even the filmaker thought he was gone. I personally think the benefits of showing this programme to younger viewers far outweigh the possible downside.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The film:salute:aker was GUTTED when the seal pup survived

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Its my only criticism of programmes like this is the almost rabid and sexual fascination of animals being hunted and killed by its predators. I reckon some of the cameramen get hard on's filming it.

Err, in the animal world pretty much 100% of any animal's time is taken up either trying to eat or trying not to get eaten so it's no surprise they concentrate on the aspect of hunting.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Its not my bag to see the actual kill and its stomach being ripped out. How many times is it necessary to show a Zebra or an Ostrich or whatever being hunted and ripped apart by 3 or 4 big cats ?. Just stick to cute Monkeys and the like.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I agree Cheeky. I am quite squeamish about this and although I know these deaths occur everyday as its nature I personally do not want to see the kill or the lead up to the kill with a terrified animal facing death and then the gory ripping of entrails. Its my only criticism of programmes like this is the almost rabid and sexual fascination of animals being hunted and killed by its predators. I reckon some of the cameramen get hard on's filming it.

If I was a cameraman and had spent all that time and effort getting those shots, as shown in the "how we did it" at the end it would have given me one. Shock horror it what meat eating animals do, the eat each other, you can look away if you dont like it, jeez its a darn site beter than the usual midless violence that comes out of hollywood. Still lets get some more cotton wool out.

Anybody who says HD isnt worth getting should watch this on low def then high def and really see the difference.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I interviewed one of the series' researchers last month - he worked on the chameleon bit in that first episode. Said it absolutely blew his mind watching it all back in slow-mo. Top stuff...

Oct 25, 2003
Its not my bag to see the actual kill and its stomach being ripped out. How many times is it necessary to show a Zebra or an Ostrich or whatever being hunted and ripped apart by 3 or 4 big cats ?. Just stick to cute Monkeys and the like.

because that's what HAPPENS and they're trying to show what HAPPENS

if they showed the hunt from the very start it'd be just STUPID to cut out the result, i personally want to see everything that happens in a kill as, like chappers said, it's a HUGE part of nature, and i want to know everything, not a stupid watered down version so as not to offend people who need to man the f*** up and accept what happens in the world

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here