Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liam Dickinson

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I don't usually like the slagging off of players, but if you're going to wear f***ing ridiculous yellow boots, you'd better make damn sure you've got something decent to bring to the party. DICKinson bought the football equivalent of a bottle of warm Lambrini.

Should be in the stiffs.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
He missed an absolute beauty of a ball across the box from Holroyd, which I'm sure Murray would have buried. He didn't seem to move a muscle towards it. Surely as a striker you have to have some anticipation of what your partner is going to do?

The Goon

Gully's Boy
Nov 24, 2008
Blowing up the Balloons!!!
Stop slagging the bloke off yeah? He was far from the worst player on the pitch and did look lively at times. He was good on saturday. Maybe its the fact that from the first minute if he put a foot wrong the crowd were on his back? I admit Murray and Hollroyd were better, and should start on Saturday.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Yep. Stop slagging him off. He can be infuriating but he always puts the effort in and looks like things could really click if he gets a run with a settled forward partner. But for a good save, he'd have scored tonight and then everyone would have been singing his praises.

Ditch the yellow boots though. Awful.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
But for a good save, he'd have scored tonight and then everyone would have been singing his praises.

Disagree. He had the whole of the goal to aim at after being laid off a peach from Holdroyd and he picked the narrowest part of the goal pretty much straight at the keeper, at a nice-ish height, certainly perfect for a 'one for the cameras' save.

You bang on about the boots though!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Stop being shit.

:lolol:

I never like slagging off any of our players - but he (LD) is a major disappointment imo. The way things are going, I'd be happy to see him shuffle off elsewhere (in a ten-to-two stylee) come the end of the season. There's still time to redeem himself, mind..

Last edited:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think the main problem I have is that he cost as much as Glenn Murray.

And that was just a DOWNPAYMENT.

Thankfully, I doubt he will notch enough goals to trigger extra payments.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Yep. Stop slagging him off. He can be infuriating but he always puts the effort in and looks like things could really click if he gets a run with a settled forward partner. But for a good save, he'd have scored tonight and then everyone would have been singing his praises.

Ditch the yellow boots though. Awful.

Oh that's ok then, he works hard! He's supposed to be a f**king striker! Never gets in the box, never wins a header, there may be a position he could play in the team buts it's not as a striker. WE NEED SOME GOALS!

FYI, I wouldn't slag him off when he is playing, I do believe he is trying his best for us, but on a message board like this it's about opinions, and in my opinion he is not a striker.

And the yellow boots are dreadful, agree with you on that, at least.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
His movement at times is shite. That time Holyroyd cut in on the left was a great chance and Dickinson was static before fluffing it. Never worth 300k. Better coming off the bench I think.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Disagree. He had the whole of the goal to aim at after being laid off a peach from Holdroyd and he picked the narrowest part of the goal pretty much straight at the keeper, at a nice-ish height, certainly perfect for a 'one for the cameras' save.

You bang on about the boots though!

A first time hit, taken quickly. But I'm sure you'd have scored it. :bla:

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
A first time hit, taken quickly. But I'm sure you'd have scored it. :bla:

:lolol:

Probably not. I'm not a professional footballer, paid as a striker and alledgedly worth up to £750k. I would've aimed towards the largest area of the goal however.

He seemed to take an age to hit it as well.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
He cant head the ball (or is frightened to?!), he cant score, he cant read the game, apart from that hes fine. To be fair he has looked better on occasions than he did last night but last night was as easy an opposition to score against than he will probably get all season, Huddersfield were crap and we couldnt take advantage. If he was any good he should have had a field day last night. If only holroyd had been put through with the chances he had I think we would have won it. Agree about trying him as a proper out and out right winger as he could be better there but striker? No.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
When you think we paid over 300k for him I must add that he may well be the most expensive flop we have ever bought in our history.Cannot think of that many strikers who cost more.

Ritchie
Robinson
Smith
Murray

he is crap.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
I've tried my best to stick up for him, but he's not doing me many favours.

I strongly think he is a confidence player. The best I've seen him play, pretty much every time, it has been away from home (when the team is playing well). Yesterday was a rare occassion when the team played well at home, and unfortunately he didn't. The quiet atmosphere and constant muttering when he's on the ball probably does him no favours what-so-ever. Where as away, when he can't hear the muttering (that is probably still happening!), he plays well.

Obviously Forster's been going a lot longer than Dickinson, and I appreciate a fair chunk of Forster's stats are from higher divisions but here's some of Dickinson's stats in comparison -

Forster
- Starts: 283
- Subs: 41
- Goals: 119
- - Goals per starts: A goal every 2.4 starts
- - Goals per appearances: A goal every 2.7 appearances
- Assists: 19
- - Assists per starts: An assist every 14.9 starts
- - Assists per appearances: An assist every 17.1 appearances
- Shots: 219
- Shots on target: 115
- - On target %: 48.1%

Dickinson
- Starts: 110
- Subs: 53
- Goals: 51
- - Goals per starts: A goal every 2.2 starts
- - Goals per appearances: A goal every 3.2 appearances
- Assists: 11
- - Assists per starts: An assist every 10 starts
- - Assists per appearances: An assist every 14.8 appearances
- Shots: 219
- Shots on target: 115
- - On target %: 52.5%

I'm not saying Dickinson is better than Forster, or going to be the next Forster. But, he's not exactly shit, as people are saying, is he? (as far as stats so far go)

Obviously people can only go on what they have seen of him, and most on here I imagine, only, or mostly, see him at the Withdean when he's not been up to scratch so far, I agree. But just try and get behind the lad, yeah?

Sargey

Jan 27, 2006
Portslade
You have to give him time as it takes time to settle at a club and to produce your best football but from what I am seeing from LD at the mo, I wish it was at some other club...

He is awful in the air for a big man and seems to be as weak as a kitten. Centre backs just bully him all the time also he seems to be getting a reputation as a diver, the Orient shout for a pen was an absolute stonewall pen but i wonder if the ref just thought he dived then give the pen...???

He needs to toughen up, fight back and there may well be a decent player in there....

Otherwise Gus should stick with Murray & Holroyd/Forster

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Someone posted a video montage of his goals for Stockport (I think) on here a while back. If I remember most of his goals were from him chasing or running with a ball and belting it in the net. Maybe that's his talent and we dont play him to his stength?

Overall he has not done much to impress me.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Someone posted a video montage of his goals for Stockport (I think) on here a while back. If I remember most of his goals were from him chasing or running with a ball and belting it in the net. Maybe that's his talent and we dont play him to his stength?

Overall he has not done much to impress me.

When we bought him a Stockport fan posted on here that if we played to his feet he'd do well for us but if we were expecting him to be as good in the air as he looks like he should be we'd be very disappointed.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Personally I like him but he is not a target man which is how he was being used yesterday. He is never going to win headers but let him run at a centre back and he will do well. Everyone on here is so quick to have a go

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here