Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lewis Dunk to Chelsea? EDIT: New 5 Year Deal Signed

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If Lewis Dunk has the chance to go to a club like Chelsea , he will Want to go. It would be Delusional to think otherwise.
If he does go, have faith on what we have left in the CB department. Others will step up.
Also , I’m Still baffled why Arsenal aren’t all over Dunk. Hes been exactly What they need for the past three years.

Not delusional to suggest that Tony will flat out refuse to sell though

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
If Lewis Dunk has the chance to go to a club like Chelsea , he will Want to go. It would be Delusional to think otherwise.
If he does go, have faith on what we have left in the CB department. Others will step up.
Also , I’m Still baffled why Arsenal aren’t all over Dunk. Hes been exactly What they need for the past three years.

Me too. Both Arsenal and Chelsea have to regularly play three at the back as their central defenders aren't up to it. And Arsenal's CBs are worse than Chelsea's (Holding/Mustafi/Luiz/Sokratis.....!)

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

I don’t think Bloom would do that If the bid was large enough . It would send a bad message to players Thinking of joining albion, as the reality is we are a rung up the ladder for top talent.

There’s certainly Potential For it to get messy if Bloom did play hardball. Tough call for Lewis if it comes down to written transfer requests and pushing it through against the club’s wishes.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Yeah I get that.

I'm not sure it would be as cut and dried as the Fulham and Burnley bids for Dunk and Stephens.
In those cases we were talking about clubs with similar aspirations to us. The potential available at those clubs was no better than what we were offering.

Moving to Chelsea would be a totally different prospect.
Lewis has been an excellent servant to us and if he is given the chance to progress, I don't think Tony will stand in his way ( as long as the money is right).

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

This. Id take Dunk over David Luiz any day of the week. Great with his feet but shit defensively.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Yeah I get that.

I'm not sure it would be as cut and dried as the Fulham and Burnley bids for Dunk and Stephens.
In those cases we were talking about clubs with similar aspirations to us. The potential available at those clubs was no better than what we were offering.

Moving to Chelsea would be a totally different prospect.
Lewis has been an excellent servant to us and if he is given the chance to progress, I don't think Tony will stand in his way ( as long as the money is right).

Great post, and youre spot on. For all the talk of club flatly refusing, because technically they could. There is a real politik to all this. One Dunk has given club a decade of service, a model pro, this is not sideways, this would be a clear career advancement and they wouldn't stop him for 3 reasons.

1) because Bloom is a realist and reasonable and wouldn't stop Dunks one chance of European football and potentially England.

2) Because Dunk would want to go imho, and you you don't want a pissed off Dunk who feels his chance of the icing on cake for career progression is blocked.

3) Because what the club does has huge significance on others thinking about signing for the the club. All of whom will harbour ambitions of top 4

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Great post, and youre spot on. For all the talk of club flatly refusing, because technically they could. There is a real politik to all this. One Dund has given club a decade of service, a model pro, this is not sideways, this would be a clear career advancement and they wouldn't stop him for 3 reasons. 1) because Bloom is a realist and reasonable and wouldn't stop Dunks one chance of European football and potentially England. 2) Because Dunk would want to go imho, and you you don't want a pissed off Dunk who feels his chance of the icing on cake for career progression is blocked. 3) Because what the club does has huge significance on others thinking about signing the the club. All of whom will harbour ambitions of top 4

Agreed. Tony should and would sanction a sale for the reasons you've stated ... but that assumes Chelsea are prepared to offer us his market value. If our valuation isn't met, TB won't let him go on the cheap (it also assumes this thread isn;t entirely made up b******* wasting everybody's time which I strongly suspect it is)

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Great post, and youre spot on. For all the talk of club flatly refusing, because technically they could. There is a real politik to all this. One Dunk has given club a decade of service, a model pro, this is not sideways, this would be a clear career advancement and they wouldn't stop him for 3 reasons.

1) because Bloom is a realist and reasonable and wouldn't stop Dunks one chance of European football and potentially England.

2) Because Dunk would want to go imho, and you you don't want a pissed off Dunk who feels his chance of the icing on cake for career progression is blocked.

3) Because what the club does has huge significance on others thinking about signing for the the club. All of whom will harbour ambitions of top 4

I can't really argue with your points 1&2, as clearly you have an insight as to how both Tony Bloom's and Lewis Dunk's minds work, that I don't

However I can contest point 3. So you believe that players will want to sign for us, because we want to be a top four side and yet are happy to sell one of our best players to a rival team because he supports them!

Not sure that paints us in quite the light you are suggesting, looks more like a team happy to roll over and have their tummy tickled by one of the big boys...

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I can't really argue with your points 1&2, as clearly you have an insight as to how both Tony Bloom's and Lewis Dunk's minds work, that I don't

However I can contest point 3. So you believe that players will want to sign for us, because we want to be a top four side and yet are happy to sell one of our best players to a rival team because he supports them!

Not sure that paints us in quite the light you are suggesting, looks more like a team happy to roll over and have their tummy tickled by one of the big boys...

I think he's saying the players may have top 4 ambitions, not us (yet :) )

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
So we sign players, so they can impress and go on to play for a Top 4 side!

As Ms Twain said, that don't impress me much...

Gotta be realistic. Do we want to sign young(ish) players whose peak ambition is a top 10 finish (which is what our aim is right now). I'd rather recruit guys that are aiming for the very top. The downside is they may well see us as a stepping stone.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

and 4) His value has peaked and is only going to decline in the coming seasons.

5) we have ample cover in this area of the team.

6) we need investment in other areas of the team.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
So we sign players, so they can impress and go on to play for a Top 4 side!

As Ms Twain said, that don't impress me much...

Yes, for now. Like when we were at the wrong end of the 4th tier and we wanted players who would go on and play in the 3rd tier, etc. You always need to sign a better standard of player than you have, if you want to improve. We want to push up the Premier League so we need a better standard of player.

The reality is that we will need to sell the occasional player to prove that coming to us isn't a dead end. Lamptey didn't sign for us for us to be his highest ambition, or be allowed to leave upon relegation. We can attract better players if they know there's a pathway to a top 4 club, like there is at Dortmund. Dortmund get the pick of the young players in the world because they know a) they'll play and b) they'll be sold when the right fee comes along. That's far more attractive to players than a club who absolutely will not sell their players under any circumstances. We're looking to stock the squad so we don't need to smash out every summer to replace anyone we sell. It's a sustainable model.

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
Lewis Dunk to Chelsea ...............

Yes, for now. Like when we were at the wrong end of the 4th tier and we wanted players who would go on and play in the 3rd tier, etc. You always need to sign a better standard of player than you have, if you want to improve. We want to push up the Premier League so we need a better standard of player.

The reality is that we will need to sell the occasional player to prove that coming to us isn't a dead end. Lamptey didn't sign for us for us to be his highest ambition, or be allowed to leave upon relegation. We can attract better players if they know there's a pathway to a top 4 club, like there is at Dortmund. Dortmund get the pick of the young players in the world because they know a) they'll play and b) they'll be sold when the right fee comes along. That's far more attractive to players than a club who absolutely will not sell their players under any circumstances. We're looking to stock the squad so we don't need to smash out every summer to replace anyone we sell. It's a sustainable model.

Spot on.

We're unlikely to ever be in the market for the (clearly) finished article but I'm sure all players want to play at the very top.

If we're to be a top ten side we're going to have to upgrade/add several players who may be capable of getting to the very top (very, very few).

If they can impress enough to keep us in the top ten for a few years then move on for mega-bucks that's fine by me.

Think Locadia was quoted as wanting to use us a stepping stone to bigger things? That went well......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Spot on.

We're unlikely to ever be in the market for the (clearly) finished article but I'm sure all players want to play at the very top.

If we're to be a top ten side we're going to have to upgrade/add several players who may be capable of getting to the very top (very, very few).

If they can impress enough to keep us in the top ten for a few years then move on for mega-bucks that's fine by me.

Think Locadia was quoted as wanting to use us a stepping stone to bigger things? That went well......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He tried to nutmeg the stone and fell flat on his arse.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Shall we just let this thread fall to page 2, 3, 4 etc now as it’s getting annoying - unless something actually concrete comes up that it may be happening? All from a fans tweet... :facepalm:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I can't really argue with your points 1&2, as clearly you have an insight as to how both Tony heBloom's and Lewis Dunk's minds work, that I don't

No mate, I can see how you interpreted what I wrote in (3), but that's not the context I meant

I don't think for one second we are or we will be top 4, I meant that there will be tacit understandings, I'd guess with most players. If we go down and they are better than championship, i.e dunk we'd let them go, conversely if they are offered top 4 (which we can't) we'd also not stop them. Is Ben Whites aspiration to finish career at Brighton ? I'd guess not, but it's a great step now. If a top 4 came in would he want to leave? Yes probably. Why did Maupay come here? I'd guess as it's PL and a step up, bang in 30 next season and top 4 come sniffing, I'm sure he'd also want to leave. It's the same for all pro's, I doubt any would see Brighton as their aspirational pinnacle. We don't have Lallana now because he dreams of playing for Brighton, just that he can't get game time in Liverpool.

If we start blocking players going to a playing level we probably won't ever provide them, it could affect our ability to get other better players on the upward carter trajectory, from signing longer term. That was the point

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
No mate, I can see how you interpreted what I wrote in (3), but that's not the context I meant

I don't think for one second we are or we will be top 4, I meant that there will be tacit understandings, I'd guess with most players. If we go down and they are better than championship, i.e dunk we'd let them go, conversely if they are offered top 4 (which we can't) we'd also not stop them. Is Ben Whites aspiration to finish career at Brighton ? I'd guess not, but it's a great step now. If a top 4 came in would he want to leave? Yes probably. Why did Maupay come here? I'd guess as it's PL and a step up, bang in 30 next season and top 4 come sniffing, I'm sure he'd also want to leave. It's the same for all pro's, I doubt any would see Brighton as their aspirational pinnacle. We don't have Lallana now because he dreams of playing for Brighton, just that he can't get game time in Liverpool.

If we start blocking players going to a playing level we probably won't ever provide them, it could affect our ability to get other better players on the upward carter trajectory, from signing longer term. That was the point

Not disagreeing with the thrust of what you're saying, but the counter argument is, that TB has said he wants us to be a top 10 club. He's not p****** about when he says that. Now assuming that the players know he's a man who means what he says (probably) and assuming the likes of Ryan, Maupay, Webster know in their heart of hearts that a Champions League club is going to be beyond them (probably) then they may reason that where we are is a good a place as they are likely to get for a chance to carve out a career in the Premier League where they win more than they lose and may even pick up a cup at some stage.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Not disagreeing with the thrust of what you're saying, but the counter argument is, that TB has said he wants us to be a top 10 club. He's not p****** about when he says that. Now assuming that the players know he's a man who means what he says (probably) and assuming the likes of Ryan, Maupay, Webster know in their heart of hearts that a Champions League club is going to be beyond them (probably) then they may reason that where we are is a good a place as they are likely to get for a chance to carve out a career in the Premier League where they win more than they lose and may even pick up a cup at some stage.

Totally agree with you, and our points are not mutually exclusive. There will always be players, like CMS or Kayal where our level is about as good as they could ever get. I'd agree that Ryan and possibly Webster? Maybe at the ceiling of what's achievable...... But if we go down, there will be players to good for championship and even if we get 10th, there may be the odd player better than that. If they are able to get interest from top 4, (and that will be the rare individual) , I personally think the club wouldn't hold them back. It's a level we are not at and are unlikely to arrive at anytime soon. 10th and all that a top 4 offers is a gulf apart.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
It's the farming equivalent of fattening pigs for market and all clubs do it to varying degrees, even the Liverpools and Chelskis of this world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here