Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

lewis dunk sending off

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fact is if things had been the other way around you would have all made a case for the red card and the Murray penalty.
Most people here aren't really complaining about the red. It's only on closer inspection that some of us think perhaps it wasn't correct.

The first goal came about from a corner which should not have been given, totally agree that the ref got it wrong and as you all know this happens in most games, but to analyse each passage of play leading to that decision is ridiculous, what about things that should or shouldn't have been given by the ref 2 or 3 minutes before ? you can go on for ages.
These things do happen, and that's life. Obviously you don't go back a few minutes to something irrelevant, but it's fair to look at whether it should have been a corner, when the goal came from that corner.

The first Murray penalty might not have been given by some refs, but again if that had been CMS what would you all be saying ?
The same thing. We'd have wanted the penalty and cheered if we got it. We know Murray got us loads like that, and we're grateful for all those times. Being objective though, it was a complete dive.

The second one, well please don't tell me that anyone has questioned that.
I don't think they have no. If they have, they're in the minority.
Dunk was at fault, Barnes should have got his head on the cross before half time, and CMS should have scored early on in the second half, at 1-1 I think you may well have held on
Probably not.

you have had and will continue to get your share of decisions going your way, just like any other team
Somewhat. Palace currently have a few players that are both tricky, and also like to dive, so they're getting some deserved decisions, and also a few more wrong decisions than average.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
You're comparing the tackle below with Dunks? ??? Totally different, which I think the pictures tell you. I think you're seeing something careless in what Dunk did which is simply not there. It was a trip pure and simple, just a fraction of a second late. I'll standby my opinion that anywhere else on the pitch it would not have even drawn a card. But it is a game of opinions, so I do respect where you are coming from.
View attachment 37263

I haven't seen this incident, only Dunks. Where on the pitch was this, was it on the edge of the penalty area and was there any covering defenders?

The refs get one look at the incident and have to make their mind up straight away and when i saw it online it looked like a red card for Dunk to me. There wasn't any covering defenders and it looked like he caught the player and denied a goal scoring chance to me.

Those saying that the Palace player hit it too far ahead of himself, maybe the challenge of Dunk which could have been deemed reckless or careless forced the heavy touch and if Dunk hadn't lunging in like he did, then the touch may well have been better so the poor challenge affected it so still a foul.

Those saying he touched the ball first, the path of the ball barely changed so he didn't get much onto it if he did touch it (i'm not convinced he did). How many challenges have there been where a player has gone in high and brushed the top of the ball before making contact with another players leg(s), touching the ball first doesn't make it any less of a dangerous tackle in these cases. Barely touching the ball and still bringing down a forward when you are the last defender still says its a red card to me.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
The club should appeal the sending off.The ref made a mistake and in hindsight the card decision should be reversed.

i replayed it loads of times ....it really don't look like he gets any ball......honest attempt and milked by bolaise.very harsh...!!
has gus ever appealed anything..?? might instill some feeling of solidarity if he did....our team spirit ain't that crash hot at the moment.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I think that's what they're trying to push toward, actually. You hear all the time about how the game is being sanitized and turned into a non-contact sport.

I think they are trying to push the game toward skill and finesse and ball control and away from the old English style of "slide in, take everything, and hope you get enough of the ball", and one part of this is reducing the contact, encouraging kids to be skilful and develop that skill without fear of the less skilful kids taking them out in brutish, ahem, "traditional" challenges.

Sadly these rules also encourage diving and i think its bad for the game and a bad example to youngsters - cheat and you will be rewarded isn't very moral.

The players who tend to have a reputation or are highly thought of are probably more likely to get away with diving becasue the ref could think that they need protecting more because it may be the only way the opposition can stop them. Garath Bale is a great example, a class player but i hate the fact that most times he makes no effort to stay on his feet when merely brushed.

It makes you ask the question, are our players too honest and should they be looking to go down far too easily in order to get soft free kicks and penalties. Southampton dived like mad last season and were rewarded with promotion to the top flight.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I haven't seen this incident, only Dunks. Where on the pitch was this, was it on the edge of the penalty area and was there any covering defenders?

The refs get one look at the incident and have to make their mind up straight away and when i saw it online it looked like a red card for Dunk to me. There wasn't any covering defenders and it looked like he caught the player and denied a goal scoring chance to me.

Those saying that the Palace player hit it too far ahead of himself, maybe the challenge of Dunk which could have been deemed reckless or careless forced the heavy touch and if Dunk hadn't lunging in like he did, then the touch may well have been better so the poor challenge affected it so still a foul.

Those saying he touched the ball first, the path of the ball barely changed so he didn't get much onto it if he did touch it (i'm not convinced he did). How many challenges have there been where a player has gone in high and brushed the top of the ball before making contact with another players leg(s), touching the ball first doesn't make it any less of a dangerous tackle in these cases. Barely touching the ball and still bringing down a forward when you are the last defender still says its a red card to me.

no way was that tackle as dangerous as digackoi's on bridcutt later on........if dunk was 50 mm faster he gets a boot on the ball and all is good. obviously a split second reaction for the ref...unlucky , worth an appeal imho.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
no way was that tackle as dangerous as digackoi's on bridcutt later on........if dunk was 50 mm faster he gets a boot on the ball and all is good. obviously a split second reaction for the ref...unlucky , worth an appeal imho.

I agree, don't think there was anything careless of dangerous with Dunk's tackle, he was just very unlucky to be a fraction of a second slow. However, he didn't get the ball and so I think an appeal would be futile and only result in an extension to the ban - not going to help with team solidarity if you ask me.

Aquilaugh

Jan 9, 2011
Most people here aren't really complaining about the red. It's only on closer inspection that some of us think perhaps it wasn't correct.

These things do happen, and that's life. Obviously you don't go back a few minutes to something irrelevant, but it's fair to look at whether it should have been a corner, when the goal came from that corner.

The same thing. We'd have wanted the penalty and cheered if we got it. We know Murray got us loads like that, and we're grateful for all those times. Being objective though, it was a complete dive.

I don't think they have no. If they have, they're in the minority.
Probably not.

Somewhat. Palace currently have a few players that are both tricky, and also like to dive, so they're getting some deserved decisions, and also a few more wrong decisions than average.

Like I said, it wasn't a corner, I'd have been angry the other way around, as I would with the 1st penalty. And I really do think you'd have held on had you scored, you stopped us very well from scoring in open play and you have a good keeper. You, if you haven't already, will score from similar dubious situations this season.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I agree, don't think there was anything careless of dangerous with Dunk's tackle, he was just very unlucky to be a fraction of a second slow. However, he didn't get the ball and so I think an appeal would be futile and only result in an extension to the ban - not going to help with team solidarity if you ask me.

i can't bring myself to watch it again yet..........but if he got ANY contact on the ball.........it's an effective tackle and worth an appeal.......i was f***ing fuming on saturday but i feel sorry for him now.......hope he learns from it.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Dikachoi definitely deserved to see red. So did that Bolton player who clattered Bridcutt last week. How Liam has avoided being added to the injury list is beyond me.

But Dunk's red card, utterly correct I'm afraid. He knew it straight away, as did everyone else. No protests, no complaints, he looked mortified and knew that the card was coming. An appeal would have absolutely no chance of success, and would prejudice more reasonable appeals by making us look as though we'll question anything.

cpfc71

Dec 1, 2012
Now it needs to be said that I hate Place as much as the next man but:

Dunk deserved to go, end of.
Murray didn't dive, he drew contact.
Kuszczac should have gone for putting his hands on the ref.

Bad day at the office.

funnily enough I agree with all of the above

Aquilaugh

Jan 9, 2011
i can't bring myself to watch it again yet..........but if he got ANY contact on the ball.........it's an effective tackle and worth an appeal.......i was f***ing fuming on saturday but i feel sorry for him now.......hope he learns from it.

pretty sure your manager will look at it from a common sense point of view, he's already said it was a correct decision, the ref would be backed in any appeal in this situation.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Dikachoi definitely deserved to see red. So did that Bolton player who clattered Bridcutt last week. How Liam has avoided being added to the injury list is beyond me.

But Dunk's red card, utterly correct I'm afraid. He knew it straight away, as did everyone else. No protests, no complaints, he looked mortified and knew that the card was coming. An appeal would have absolutely no chance of success, and would prejudice more reasonable appeals by making us look as though we'll question anything.

clumsy at worst..no malice in it...and perfectly milked by a player with the type of nouse that none of our current starting 11 have....
.appart from aea...that's all.......if you reckon it's nailed on ,fair enough.......buckley, barnes and bridcutt were all victims of worse.......

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
1. Bruno's pass wasn't the best but let's be honest, it wasn't hit at Dunk like an exocet and most 10 yr olds could control that. Are we to expect that all passes must be gently rolled to the defenders?
2. Dunk lost control of the ball and lunged to try and play it away from Bolasie. He made no contact with the ball. Despite numerous reviews of the incident I still can't see him getting the ball.
3. Bolasie had a clear run on goal and had he not been brought down, his momemtum would have meant he would have got to the ball before Kuszczak would have got to it. Whether Kuszczak would have prevented a goal or brought the player down we'll never know.
4. Bolasie was caught. Yes he may well of made the most of it but which strikers wouldn't. However, I don't think you can say the tackle was dangerous. Dunk went for preventing a goal scoring opportunity and he knew it as soon as it happened. A more experienced defender might have been on his feet straight away and having a go at Bolasie to suggest he dived and put some doubt in the ref's mind before he gets a card out!.

We've played Palace 9 times in the last 10 years and on three occassions they have made us look like mugs. All we have to show is one win courtesy of an own goal (sorry McShane). It is so f***ing depressing.

Hawaii

Banned
Mar 28, 2011
One of the most blatant red cards I've ever seen. Look at Dunk's reaction and listen to Poyet's press conference. Tells you all you need to know.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
pretty sure your manager will look at it from a common sense point of view, he's already said it was a correct decision, the ref would be backed in any appeal in this situation.

that ref was a bit of a twatt really don't you think...?? continually 50m behind play.......typical div one idiot. having said that he could have easily sent kuszack off as well. dikachoi could have easily gone as well.......one of those days for us .......brilliant result for you lot.......now f*** off.................:p

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Here are the details from the extended highlights on player:
2.45 Bridcutt is tripped from behind - ref points to the ball, no free-kick.
11.25 Barnes takes a player out, but gets the ball and a throw in is given
15.52 Bolasie takes out Bruno, but wins the ball, no free-kick
16.53 hammond trips Zaha, ref points to ball

In the highlights, there is not one single free-kick given where a player has won the ball. So while it doesn't say about the ball in the book, that is how the game is refereed.

I also see from the highlights that the first goal was from a corner that should have been a goal kick, and the first penalty is an outrageous dive (becomes really apparent from the overhead shot).

All that does is point to the fact the referee wasn't very good and wasn't consistent. I've already covered the ref pointing at the ball thing, all this shows is that the ref didn't give some things to us that he gave to them, as such you can't use him as the text book example of what a referee would do. My point was there are a huge number of free kicks given over the course of every game every week where contact is clearly made with the ball, which shows winning the ball doesn't mean it's not a foul.

Sadly these rules also encourage diving and i think its bad for the game and a bad example to youngsters - cheat and you will be rewarded isn't very moral.

The players who tend to have a reputation or are highly thought of are probably more likely to get away with diving becasue the ref could think that they need protecting more because it may be the only way the opposition can stop them. Garath Bale is a great example, a class player but i hate the fact that most times he makes no effort to stay on his feet when merely brushed.

It makes you ask the question, are our players too honest and should they be looking to go down far too easily in order to get soft free kicks and penalties. Southampton dived like mad last season and were rewarded with promotion to the top flight.

That is true now, but perhaps if the rough tackling is removed and defensive players adapt and start tackling smartly and with the same sort of finesse and skill, diving will eventually drift out of the game because no one is diving in any more.

Like I said, it wasn't a corner, I'd have been angry the other way around, as I would with the 1st penalty. And I really do think you'd have held on had you scored, you stopped us very well from scoring in open play and you have a good keeper. You, if you haven't already, will score from similar dubious situations this season.

You've not seen our penalty record this season, then...

1. Bruno's pass wasn't the best but let's be honest, it wasn't hit at Dunk like an exocet and most 10 yr olds could control that. Are we to expect that all passes must be gently rolled to the defenders?

I do find it frustrating that there are certain sections of our fan base who refuse to criticise players who are sent off, preferring to criticise the player who passed to them. When Brezovan passed to Virgo and virgo needlessly lunged in to a challenge where there was no threat and no need, people criticised Brez. At least I understood then that Brez, as a keeper who wasn't Michel Kuipers, wasn't liked by some fans and it was an excuse to hate on him some more, but this time it's Bruno who while playing injured and not performing as well as he did earlier in the season, he is still one of the fan favourites, so it doesn't make sense this time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here