Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

lewis dunk sending off

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
i replayed it loads of times ....it really don't look like he gets any ball......honest attempt and milked by bolaise.very harsh...!!
has gus ever appealed anything..??
might instill some feeling of solidarity if he did....our team spirit ain't that crash hot at the moment.

Do you really want Dunk being out for an extra game when you have no defenders as it is? Seems a strange view.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
The ref has one chance to look at this not frame by frame second by second. In the ground my instant reaction was doomsday straight red - its what he got - having looked at the hightlights on the FLS - Dunk Knew he was straight away he was toast and that says more than anything else to me. The two pens looked nailed on live too - Greers being quite franky embarrassingly stupid. Roll on March.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
All that does is point to the fact the referee wasn't very good and wasn't consistent.
But he was consistent :shrug: He didn't give a foul when the ball was won.

I've already covered the ref pointing at the ball thing, all this shows is that the ref didn't give some things to us that he gave to them, as such you can't use him as the text book example of what a referee would do.
Any match you pic, the refs give fouls if a player trips an opponent without winning the ball, but doesn't give it when the ball is won (of course you will find the odd mistake). Sure when someone jumps in 2 footed and risks breaking an opponents leg, then it doesn't matter whether they get the ball or not. But for all the little trips, it's generally the player that gets the ball that gets the decision.

My point was there are a huge number of free kicks given over the course of every game every week where contact is clearly made with the ball, which shows winning the ball doesn't mean it's not a foul.
Sometimes the foul is committed before the ball is won, so that's always a foul. Other times the play is dangerous, so that's always a foul. But in the example we're talking about, if Dunk had got the ball (knocked it away) it would not have been a foul.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Dunk Knew he was straight away he was toast and that says more than anything else to me.
The only reason I question the decision is that Bolasie knocked the ball far enough away that it wasn't a goalscoring opportunity, and Dunk didn't even see that, he was flat on his back with his head in his hands (as soon as the ref blew his whistle).

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
The only reason I question the decision is that Bolasie knocked the ball far enough away that it wasn't a goalscoring opportunity, and Dunk didn't even see that, he was flat on his back with his head in his hands (as soon as the ref blew his whistle).

I am not sure the ref can be exepected to assimulate every single aspect of whats going on in that split second - looked like an agricultural lunge have lost the ball with Bolasie clean through. Straight red any day of the week. We would have been incandescent if the other way round and Delaney for example only got booked for a challenge like that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I am not sure the ref can be exepected to assimulate every single aspect of whats going on in that split second
I don't disagree.

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
I think if Lewis Dunk had got his foot to the ball the ref would have still given a red because the ref was in the middle of the pitch and the Palace player would have gone over theatrically anyway

Last edited:

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Let it go boys , it's history now so move on.
Dunk can be a liability at times , but he's young and will learn from the experience .

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
I think if Lewis Dunk had got his foot to the ball the ref would have still given a pen because the ref was in the middle of the pitch and the Palace player would have gone over theatrically anyway

I spy with my little eye someone who didn't go to the match, didn't watch the game online or at the beamback, didn't watch the highlights and clearly didn't even bother reading a single write up on the game.

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
I spy with my little eye someone who didn't go to the match, didn't watch the game online or at the beamback, didn't watch the highlights and clearly didn't even bother reading a single write up on the game.
I watched it on Wiziwig I meant a red not a pen

By the laws of the game it would've been, the ref probably wouldn't have given it. I wonder whether the laws of the game need updating, seems they were written back in a time where you had to tackle "like a true gentleman, in an orderly fashion."

I have tried searching for old copies of the Laws of the Game but to no avail, but I bet the section you copied and pasted on Law 12, Fouls and Misconduct would be quite different to what we have today in comparison to those printed in the early 70's. From a brief read on the FIFA website the laws were revised in the late 1930's by Sir Stanley Rous and they weren't revised again till 1997!

FIFA.com - From 1863 to the Present Day

COYP

Oct 1, 2012

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

I've got fed up with the amount of times I've seen this sort of thing on MOTD.

In my day as a striker if you got fouled but would have been unable to reach the ball it was no foul or penalty.

Nowadays you can knock the ball into row F fall over the opponent's leg and get a penalty.

When did it change?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've got fed up with the amount of times I've seen this sort of thing on MOTD.

In my day as a striker if you got fouled but would have been unable to reach the ball it was no foul or penalty.

Nowadays you can knock the ball into row F fall over the opponent's leg and get a penalty.

When did it change?
It seems to be changing all the time, without us even knowing. As others have pointed out, there's nothing in the rule book about winning the ball, but it's clearly a relevant factor (ie, non dangerous decisions go with the player that wins the ball).

Personally I think it's right that a player gets the foul, even if they can't keep the ball, otherwise it favours the defender too much - eg, both players are stretching to get the ball, if the defender slides and gets it (without controlling where it goes), he wins, while if the striker stretches and gets to it first, but also loses control, he loses.

BHAMalcom

Nov 15, 2012
Fair play Murray may have dived but anyone saying Dunk should have stayed on are trying to make something out of nothing. The game is lost, Lets move on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here