Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes Madness

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Lewes people are "special" and have never embraced the opportunity to share the "experience" and as such I am happy to let them engage in anti Papery without my company.

I knew Lewes people were scared of electricity, but I ddn't realise they hated paper too. I'm cardbored of your ramblings, but I agree that Lewes is full of weirds and Sussex Best is shite. Although no more shite than Brighton Best that WJ King & Co (an HORSHAM brewery) is now pushing through those shitbags Zelgrain/BrightonInnCo/drinkinbrighton.com's pubs. Now THAT really *is* dishwater. I think you might be extrapolating a NIMBY attitude towards all things Lewes, though. Yes a lot of the DFL twats who now live there were those opposing Falmer Stadium, but if you think those same twats are the ones wanting bonfire to be Lewes only, you're a world of wrong. If anything, the people running the Lewes bonfires (local inbreds, no offence) would happily use the recent arrivals from London who pushed up their cost of living as kindling.

PS Hope the guy who got injured recovers as soon as possible, in case his fate gets lost in all this kindergartenism.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
bollox,my whole position is that Lewes Nov 5th is for locals only,they dont want us-i dont want it.it is only mr fawkes who keeps excusing that position.

because that position is a new one,one taken by incomers who have displaced the locals on the societies,newcomers who have no roots in sussex and no genetical or demographic connection to the Lewes Martrys

Who taught this monkey to type?:tosser:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Although I am no stranger to Lewes I have never been,or inclined, to visit, a Lewes Bonfire "celebration".

Lewes 5th nov is shit and always has been,it is just the recent influx of middle class twats in Lewes who believe it is worth saving

Hmmm ..... think that contradiction sums up how stupid you really are. So without ever having been you think it is "shit". Prat.

Haven't been to Lewes for about 10yrs, (not really suitable for young ones) but always enjoyed the atmosphere and generally good natured "anarchy" of the whole thing, numerous hot dogs,hearing "Sussex by The Sea" blasted out by a pukka military band and seeing whole generations of Lewesians in the processions from grannies to toddlers in pushchairs (often asleep) having a jolly good time.

Not sure that I would want to go now after reading this thread, I do recall that the underlying reason for it was to celebrate the "wunt be druv" attitude of old Sussex.

That is all, chill out guys and gals.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I heard he is a Brighton fan and was meant to be at the Woking match

That's correct, he was supposed to be with us, enjoying the finest suasage, mash and onion gravy in the Withdean Hosility Hut with a group of us, came as something of a shock to say the very least.

From what i have read and heard about this incident the person injured was a part of one of the societies fireworks display teams (commercial square)

He went upto a part of their display which had failed to go off and as he and another person got there, it then went off.

Hopefully the person involved will make a full and speedy recovery

This is also correct, he [has been] a really enthusiastic fan of fireworks for many years, and I am sure he was not clowning around, this was an accident. I spoke to his uncle this morning and apparently he has been taken off the ventilator (I think this was in the Argus today too), he's been in an induced coma for a bit, but is now concious and doing a lot better than he was on Saturday. His first words were concern that he wouldn't be at work this week (he works for his uncle), so let's hope he has not suffered any ill effects up top.

The Argus initially reported on Saturday that the whole thing went off without a hitch, which is where I commented on their story that they had seemingly missed the fact that someone nearly died, the story then changed.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
ouch. must have been a substantial rocket to fracture ribs. which fire site or was it away from displays?

It was the very last rocket of the show, you know, the enormous great big one you get at the end of a display.

He is involved with one of the societies, I think it is called Commercial Square or something like that.

Last edited:

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
Not wanting to add to the binfest here, but feel I should stick my oar in.

I marched with the Heathfield Community Colleage Samba band (Batucada) at the invitation of Southover Bonfire society.

The Inbreds made us outsiders feel very welcome, and we had a marshall all to our selves. The members of the band all aged between 11 and 16, had a great time, and were thoroughly worn out at the end of the night.

Big Thanks to Ros and Lord B who quicly moved to help when some embers from one of the barrels at the war memorial blew on to a couple of our band members.

I agree with the sentiments posted earler, the night is fo rthose in the procession, not those watching it.

We hope to be back next year to entertain you all with our drums.

Last edited:

Dandyman

In London village.
Not wanting to add to the binfest here, but feel I should stick my oar in.

I marched with the Heathfield Community Colleage Samba band (Batucada) at the invitation of Southover Bonfire society.

The Inbreds made us outsiders feel very welcome, and we had a marshall all to our selves. The members of the band all aged between 11 and 16, had a great time, and were thoroughly worn out at the end of the night.

Big Thanks to Ros and Lord B who quicly moved to help when some embers from one of the barrels at the war memorial blew on to a couple of our band members.

I agree with the sentiments posted earler, the night is fo rthose in the procession, not those watching it.

We hope to be back next year to entertain you all with our drums.

As a Cliffe Fireman can I just say you would be very welcome to return.

You're welcome.

Your band got better treatment than one of the junior members of the Bracknell family, who managed to fall face down into the 1.00 am fire at the end of the Cliffe celebrations, while walking through the fire at the same time as he was phoning his sister in the Congo. What did Roz do? Rescue him? Nah. She carried on taking photographs.

Fortunately there were others on hand to pull the eejit out.

I was asleep in the car by then.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I went this year, watched the Grand Procession, saw a few people I haven't seen for Donkeys years, (I grew up there).
When I was a kid I loved it, only took part once with South St. I remember the only people that walked in the road were the processions, all the onlookers stayed on the pavement.
Now, it seems to me that the police & marshalls have an impossible job to control the crowd. The amount of hooray henry's & henriettas clutching their wine bottles & barging through the crowds & even processions was unbelievable. Still, I expected it, so can't complain, but it seemed the only way to enjoy it, was to be in it.

Favourite moment, by the war memorial the Band of the Gurkhas played GOSBTS, & everyone sang along, magic.

I heard one woman who shouted after her kid from her house up Western Rd, "Dakota, stop that". f***ing Dakota? New Lewes surely?

Didn't go to a bonfire, the girlfriend had enough by then, (lightweight).

By the way, I was born in Brighton General & was at the Woking game. Hope this is ok with the twat.

garethlewes

Nov 9, 2010
another non Lewes born then!!!!!!!!!!

Raymond you are a massive d******d not everyone in Lewes is posh they are a minority and with the liberal and from london etc. I don't know anyone in Lewes that is a young upstart all I know is that most are from the chav parts and then subsequently move to Landport. Now as for your list of a stereo-typical lewes person you are a moron I am none of those and before you start I have lived in Lewes my whole life.

Bonfire night in Lewes is the main event in a long calender of Sussex bonfire nights, if they were all on the same night then you wouldn't have enough people to go round I know plenty of people that go to places like Fletching, Hailsham, East Hoathly and Barcombe for bonfires, All these people go to these little towns and vilages to enjoy themselves people will always get hurt when the main point of the night is some thing that Blows up get that into your thick a**e licking, man-loving, moulscoumbe (sleeping with your cousin is alright) mindset and realise that Lewes is just the Pinacle of a long list of other bonfires around sussex. If you had been to a bonfire night in Lewes then you would realise that there are more than just the Lewes Societies in this bonfire procession. Alos there is a slight fact you are missing is that Southern railway put on 3 times the amount of trains into lewes from brighton to let all you bummers come and watch the fireworkd go bang instead of the headboard of your bed with your boyfriend between you legs.

Last of all you are taking your personal view that because Norman t**t baker didn't want you to have falmer then therefore the whole of the Lewes district in which is his constituency are all a bunch of inbred toffs or let me put it another way Brighton and hove is tory and so if lewes didn't help brighton then tory wouldn't be in power to f**k us over even more.
You Sir are a complete moron
= one pee'd off Lewes bloke (who wanted Flamer to be built)

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Not a bad first post.
One error though, calling him Sir:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here