Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes Madness

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
And your missing the point that it is a one off annual event and not a regular weekly occurance so it is likely to be reported.

But it's not. That's precisely the point.

If Brighton drew Tottenham in the cup and there were 23 arrests outside WHL, do you really, seriously think that the papers would be talking about how great the crowds were to have "only" 23 arrests? I think you're being very naive about the way it's reported.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
bollox,my whole position is that Lewes Nov 5th is for locals only,they dont want us-i dont want it.it is only mr fawkes who keeps excusing that position.

because that position is a new one,one taken by incomers who have displaced the locals on the societies,newcomers who have no roots in sussex and no genetical or demographic connection to the Lewes Martrys

The locals only thing has only been introduced by the Police, to try and keep the crowds down. It doesn't stop thousands coming into the town to watch. I think you'll find that most of the societies still have plenty of families who have been involved since those societies were formed - it's passed down each generation. I'm not really into bonfire myself but I know plenty of people who are involved and I can tell you they are all Sussex people. I speak from experience because I have lived in this town for over 40 years. Can I ask you what experience has led you to your enlightened view?

Ask Lord B,a newcomer to sussex who states its a local event for local people only.
Eh?

I've lived in Sussex for almost 45 years.

How can an event that is attended by between 40,000 and 80,000 people be "for local people only"?

I concede that a lot of visitors don't get it, but they are not driven out of town.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
im shocked that the argus havent said that these 23 arrests were football related disorder between rampaging woking and brighton fans......

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
But a crowd watching a football match vs a crowd drinking and watching a fireworks display / procession is a very different thing altogether

Plus you have to take the location into account, a narrow town versus a purpose built stadium
Wouldn't it be a fairer comparison to something like Notting Hill carnival?

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
Eh?

How can an event that is attended by between 40,000 and 80,000 people be "for local people only"?

I concede that a lot of visitors don't get it, but they are not driven out of town.

come on man,you have punted the "local event for local people"often enough on here.
45 years,big deal Hove born and 56 years later still "i'll not be druv"

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Eh?

shh LB

I think he assumes all local people in Lewes suddenly turn into 3 or 4 people on bonfire night due to inbreeding because his argument doesn't stand up given the population size of Lewes

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
im shocked that the argus havent said that these 23 arrests were football related disorder between rampaging woking and brighton fans......

As the Argus get most of their stories from here, i'm sure it won't take them long now to make that link :thumbsup:

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
f***ing bullshit
It is only the newcomers who have hijacked the societies who punt the "local people only" line.aAnd it is costing Lewes Locals thousands.

Again, I'll ask the question since you've ignored it. What experience has led you to hold this enlightened view?

You say I'm talking bullshit but I have lived here for over 40 years.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Originally Posted by raymondbriggs
f***ing bullshit
It is only the newcomers who have hijacked the societies who punt the "local people only" line.aAnd it is costing Lewes Locals thousands.

Costing Lewes locals thousands? how exactly? The shops are shut at night, the hotel rooms etc are fully booked (by non locals)

Or do you mean those traders that come in from out of town to set up stalls selling burgers or those luminous bands?

I think that if you had at visited the event at least once, you might have some idea what it is really like instead of spouting so much nonsense.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
The bonfire societies are still run by the same people and famillies who have run them for generations. I would suggest that Mr Biggs goes to the Lamport and Neville estates and suggests otherwise. Perhaps his application for membership to one of the socities has been refused in the past? Not sure why he is so vitriolic with regard to the Sussex ditch water though - I hate lager, I just don't drink it!

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
If there were 23 arrests at a football match attended by 40,000 there would be back page headlines about how hooliganism was back - there were 11 arrests at QPR v Millwall game a few weeks back that prompted such headlines. And yet, at an event with four times the number of arrests, the police say they're pleased the figure is so low. There are some double standards there.

how long has 4 x 11 been 23 ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here