Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes District Council report me to the Old Bill!

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I think it was Private Eye (OK; I know; dirty word on this site) which, when confronted with a letter from someone threatening them with all sorts of legal sanctions, responded with a letter which ended "f*** off".

I suppose this being the Old Bill you can't exactly do that; but it must be tempting!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
This sounds like one of those garden hedge rows. (Note the gap between hedge and rows!)

"Would you kindly cut your hedge down?"

"No, I like my hedge like that."

Call the Council or the Police.

"Cut the hedge down its obstructing the highway"

"No, its not"

Heavies call around, "Cut the hedge around or else we will"

Fight occurs when the hedge-hater attempts to cut down the hedge.

Intervening period.

I cut the hedge down. I was going to cut it down anyway. Just did not like their attitude.

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
Kent Seagull said:
Exactly what law is being broken by the poster? anyone know? LDC have well and truly lost the plot now, what a joke.

I suspect this could probably come under the heading of 'causing Harrassment, Alarm, or Distress'.

Whilst Freedom Of Speech exists within Human Rights, I think that this would fall down because the word 'Murder' carries very strong and emotive overtones which take it beyond the expected moral obligations which are required.

With regards to Sussex Police replying by e-mail, if something like this can be resolved by a simple request to remove the picture, it is a lot quicker and more cost effective than sending an officer round. How many tax-payers would want a police unit spending precious time dealing with something like this face-to-face? Not really required.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If you have a dispute with somebody the first approach should me to approach them directly.

If you think a crime has been committed, you should report to the Police.

If you don't like somebody or their behaviour, another unethical method is to make a false report to the Police about them comitting a crime when they haven't.

This is how the new Blair "suspect" initiative will work. See the other thread.

http://www.northstandchat.biz/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65265&highlight=suspect

See also

http://forums.thisisbrightonandhove.co.uk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4170

Local forum. It was suggested before this event that politicians will use the new police powers to target people they do not like.
The method they would use would make a complaint about law breaking. The Police are obliged to follow up the complaint, and now they have new powers of arrest for petty offences. Although they could always arest you for breach of the peace and affray anyway.

Last edited:

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
I have now replied as follows:-

Dear Mr Plod

Thanks for your email about this. I realise that you have to act on matters reported to the police but equally, I think Lewes District Council’s complaint is unfounded and I am not minded to remove that particular image.

At best I consider the Council to be over-sensitive about an extremely contentious issue and at worst I think they are inappropriately using the police to suppress opinions that are widely held. At no point have Lewes District Council approached me about this poster and I’m rather surprised at the timing of their complaint since the image itself was prepared at least 6 weeks ago as part of a campaign to persuade the district council to reconsider a very unpopular decision that they had taken.

I recognise that there is emotive language used in the poster but this is a reflection of a very widely held view that, ever since Liberal Democrat MP, David Bellotti was involved in the sale of the Goldstone ground, local Liberal Democrats have been trying to kill off the Albion.

As far as I’m aware it is still not illegal to lampoon politicians although I recognise that they don’t always take kindly to it.

Yoda

English & European
sullyupthewing said:
No doubt they read NSC, so this is for you LDC
waverude3li.gif
, you are going to lose.

That's better. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Roz, you can be charged with prevention of terrorism for that poster. Seriously. Anyone showing disrespect post 9/11 to a political power can be. Remember Wolfgang at the Labour conference. Contact the Argus and make it a story. We'll support you ever more!

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
I'm reserving that for if and when Lewes District Council have the courage to contact me directly rather than using the police to do their dirty work.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
roz said:
I'm reserving that for if and when Lewes District Council have the courage to contact me directly rather than using the police to do their dirty work.

Criminals should be banned from NSC, we need to encourage the right type of members :p

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Change the photo of DeVagi to one of a topless model with the head cleverly cut-n-pasted on. At least make it worth their while to moan about it!

I suggest using a topless Bella Emberg, it should give the same level of sexual satisfaction as a naked DeV.

Or make some obvious links to the story about her partner being a little punch-happy with Argus reporters....

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
roz said:
See you Beachy? I know where you live. ;)

Right where is Lokki, I need my locks changed ASAP :eek:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Bwian said:
I sent in a request for information under the FOI act, sent it directly to DeVagi who ignored the request and denied ever receiving it. I complained and got told she had been busy with the Falmer Stadium issues. Why they mentioned that I have no idea but it shows the frigging hypocrisy of LDC-call in the law about the poster but ignore a legitimate request and break the law in the process. Do I report her?

Report her! Report her!...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
roz said:
I have now replied as follows:-

You didn't really use the name Plod, did you?!... very cheeky!!...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here