Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes District Council and the Falmer Inquiry...

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
CrabtreeBHA said:
jesus bloody christ i thought it was the other end. They will NEVER get transport sorted for the West End of the Harbour, not in a million years! Imagaine 10,000 cramming across the poxy Lock-Gates for starters :D Never gonna happen!

thanks mate :thumbsup:
The other problem with anywhere in the harbour is that there would have to be an act of parliament to authorise the change of land use - and it wouldn't necessarily be a formality. As has been said elsewhere the Port Authority don't directly have the power to sell any of the port land to anyone, nor can they allow a change of use from something that is directly port-related.

Also - I thought that the original harbour proposal was based on the idea of filling in part of Aldrington Basin and having the ground right at the eastern end of the harbour. Any plan to put one near the harbour mouth would be ridiculuous in the extreme.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Curious Orange said:
Am I right in thinking that the only part of the Stadium site that is actually in the Falmer AONB is the coach park?
No, the whole site is. With a Perseus-style addendum, I believe the coach park site is Lewes DC land.

With regard to Shoreham Harbour, although I have not seen any plans, I did assume that any development would be at the eastern end. For it to be on the 'harbour wall' side is ludicrous. It just wouldn't fit without displacing current businesses.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think the Maritime Vision is a 20 year plan (not important, but this Maritime Vision was presented at the last Public Inquiry) and would probably involve throwing out the fishermen and their prefabs and all the fishing business, draining the eastern end of the canal and building on it:

Shoreham Maritime Development Unworkable
Ambitious plans to develop Shoreham Harbour into a mixed use waterside development are probably unworkable
A report to be presented to the Brighton & Hove Council’s Policy & Resources Committee next week suggests that a major funding shortfall to finance road improvements to the site mean that the vision is not achievable.

There is a funding gap of over £177m for a tunnel to the site and a gap of over £92m for the less expensive alternative of a surface road linking the harbour to the A27. The problem is exacerbated by the reluctance of Shoreham Port Authority which owns part of the site to lend any financial support to the access costs.

http://www.brightonbusiness.co.uk/htm/ni20031111.427943.htm

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here