Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes District Council and the Falmer Inquiry...

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Dear Sir,

TOWN AND COUNTRY PLANNING ACT 1990 – SECTION 77
APPLICATIONS BY BRIGHTON AND HOVE ALBION FOOTBALL CLUB LTD
LAND NORTH OF VILLAGE WAY, FALMER
REF NO: BH2001/02418/FP; BH2003/02449/FP; LW/02/1595; LW/031618

1. I refer to the above applications, which have been called in for determination by the First Secretary of State. The applications relate to the erection of a new community football stadium for Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club Ltd with accommodation for Class B1 business, educational, conference, club shop merchandise, entertainment and food and road works, pedestrian and cycle links, coach/bus park and set down area. Shared use of existing car parking space at the University of Sussex and shared use of land for recreation and parking at Falmer High School.

2. The applications were the subject of an inquiry conducted by J R Collyer MRTPI, FRICS. The inquiry opened on 18 February 2003 and closed on 23 October 2003. A copy of the Inspector's report is enclosed.

3. Following the close of the inquiry, the First Secretary of State was aware that progress had been made on the draft Brighton and Hove Local Plan with publication of the Inspector’s Report. He had also received the representations from you, by a letter dated 11 March, on behalf of the applicants. As the matters referred to above related to issues arising since the close of the inquiry, the Secretary of State offered parties the opportunity to comment on the representations in his letter of 19 March 2004. Further letters and comments were circulated under cover of the letters of 26 May and 4 and 23 June 2004. Representations received in response to the letter of 23 June are listed in the attached schedule and are enclosed for information.

4. Following consideration of these representations, the Secretary of State has concluded that that he should seek further evidence concerning the availability or otherwise of alternative sites and that for this purpose it is appropriate to re-open the inquiry. The matters on which the Secretary of State requires further evidence are as follows :
a) the availability and suitability for the proposed development of land at
• Brighton Station

• Brighton Greyhound Stadium
• Shoreham Harbour

• Sheepcote Valley

• Toad's Hole Valley

• Waterhall

• Withdean Stadium

In each case against the following criteria:
(i) Is the site within the conurbation of Brighton and Hove, thereby complying with Football League requirements?
(ii) Is site acquisition a realistic proposition?
(iii) Is the site large enough for a 22,000 capacity community stadium together with a bus/coach park?
(iv) Can a stadium be built without incurring unaffordable development costs on the site?
(v) Can a stadium be built on the site without resulting in any over-riding safety/stadium management problems?
(vi) Are there any over-riding site specific planning issues?
(vii) Is the site accessible by sustainable modes of transport?
(viii) Can a stadium be built on the site without resulting in any unacceptable environmental impacts?
(ix) Can a stadium be built on the site without any unacceptable visual impacts?

b) The estimated cost of the development at Falmer and all of the above sites having regard to the advice in PPG7 "The Countryside - Environmental Quality and Economic and Social Development" that major development proposals in Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty should be demonstrated to be in the public interest and should include assessments of the cost and scope of developing elsewhere outside the AONB or meeting the need for it in some other way

c) Whether there are any other sites that could be suitable for the proposed development, having regard to the above criteria.

d) The implications for the application site and for any of the other alternative sites located within the Sussex Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty of the proposed designation of the South Downs National Park.

5. The Planning Inspectorate has been asked to make the procedural arrangements for re-opening the inquiry and they will shortly be in contact with you. The case officer in the Planning Inspectorate is Sian Evans, 3/17 Eagle Wing, Temple Quay House, 2 The Square, Temple Quay, Bristol BS1 6PN: Tel No: 0117 372 8559

6. Copies of this letter have been sent to Brighton & Hove City Council, Lewes District Council all those who appeared at inquiry.

Yours faithfully,

Miss A Gerry

NOTE THE TITLE OF THE LETTER WRITER.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Cheers guys.
So the pertinent paragraph is:

"In a letter issued today, the Secretary of State has asked for evidence on the availability and suitability for the proposed development of a number of sites, each assessed against specific criteria. He has also asked whether there are any other sites that could be suitable, having regard to these criteria."

I'm still comfortable with that. In terms of sustainable transport links (which is the "biggee" when we come down to government criteria), none of the other sites can hold a candle to Falmer, and thats before we even START on the other complications re land purchase / road access / bridges & tunnels / cost.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
What I dont (thats STILL dont) get is the belief of some NSC members that if an alternative site is notfound and Falmer is the only one, that we Automatically get a YES to Falmer. It does seem to point in that direction but I just cannot believe that until I see a straight Yes from JP himself!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
CrabtreeBHA said:
What I dont (thats STILL dont) get is the belief of some NSC members that if an alternative site is notfound and Falmer is the only one, that we Automatically get a YES to Falmer. It does seem to point in that direction but I just cannot believe that until I see a straight Yes from JP himself!
It is a bit ambiguous Crabbers, I agree.
But what is the f***ing POINT of having this whole Inquiry reopened to explore these other possibilities, when he could have just given a straight "NO" to Falmer 6 months ago ?

This whole planning application should, in theory, stand or fall on the merits of Falmer as a suitable site for a stadium. However, with it being in a designated AONB, we're having to jump through more hoops to check, to ENSURE, that no other site is suitable, or MORE suitable to Falmer.

The ODPM could have said "no, Falmer is not suitable, find somewhere else", but thats not what that letter says. We're dotting i's and crossing t's on the other sites, and once it is proved (which it WILL be) that they are unsuitable, then surely you are only left with one answer.

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Easy 10 said:

This whole planning application should, in theory, stand or fall on the merits of Falmer as a suitable site for a stadium. However, with it being in a designated AONB, we're having to jump through more hoops to check, to ENSURE, that no other site is suitable, or MORE suitable to Falmer.

This is the key I think. Because it's an AONB he has to ensure there is nowhere else and on that basis people are assuming that Falmer is the safety net if all others fail.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I have read he asked for a further Inquiry for Alternative sites because if he gave a straigh Yes, then the NIMBYS could've taken his descision to a Judicial Review COurt or something like that. By means of doing another Inquiry it throws that out the window apparently, not sure how much of that is true though.

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
Finally had chance to read it all and get some sort of understanding if it.
Anyway concerning Shoreham Harbour site, I now know for certain what area of the harbour they are talking about. And from what I can see the site is not big enough for a 22000 seater stadium, plus no decent road links and parking areas. What are LDC suggesting, that we build in the sea?
Also about the Toads Hall site, where LDC say that the site has already been ruined by the development of the A27 and a stadium would not destroy the visual impact of the area. I would like to ask them what major road run past the Falmer site?
Falmer an AONB, that's BOLLOCKS:angry:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
ShorehamGull said:
Finally had chance to read it all and get some sort of understanding if it.
Anyway concerning Shoreham Harbour site, I now know for certain what area of the harbour they are talking about. And from what I can see the site is not big enough for a 22000 seater stadium, plus no decent road links and parking areas. What are LDC suggesting, that we build in the sea?

where exactly is it down there? I ride past it (Basin Road) everyday and theres vast areas of land doing nothing!

Last edited:

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
CrabtreeBHA said:
where exactly is it down there? I ride past it (Basic Road) everyday and theres vast areas of land doing nothing!

That's that place

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
ShorehamGull said:
Falmer an AONB, that's BOLLOCKS:angry:
A line on a map says that it IS an AONB. We can argue all we want about how genuinely "beautiful" that site is, but its an irrelevence. The map says its an AONB, so it IS an AONB, and thats what we have to work with and accept. Frustrating and mystifying, as anyone who has seen it will know, but thats the bottom line.

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
ShorehamGull said:
That's that place

yeah whereabouts exactly though? its a bloody long road :)

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
Right at the end of the harbour, Aldington basin I believe it is called, almost where the mouth of the harbour is going out to sea

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
ShorehamGull said:
Right at the end of the harbour, Aldington basin I believe it is called, almost where the mouth of the harbour is going out to sea

West or East of the Power Station?

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
West of the Power station going up the harbour towards the harbour mouth, where the boats go out

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
ShorehamGull said:
West of the Power station going up the harbour towards the harbour mouth, where the boats go out

jesus bloody christ i thought it was the other end. They will NEVER get transport sorted for the West End of the Harbour, not in a million years! Imagaine 10,000 cramming across the poxy Lock-Gates for starters :D Never gonna happen!

thanks mate :thumbsup:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
CrabtreeBHA said:
I have read he asked for a further Inquiry for Alternative sites because if he gave a straigh Yes, then the NIMBYS could've taken his descision to a Judicial Review COurt or something like that. By means of doing another Inquiry it throws that out the window apparently, not sure how much of that is true though.

I think the case for that is that if we didn't have this inquiry then if we get a yes the nimby's can appeal on the grounds that we can't build on an AONB because there are alternatives (which we are currently reviewing). By ruling out the alternatives now when we get a yes they can't appeal (at least on those grounds) because the alternatives have already been checked.

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
CrabtreeBHA said:
jesus bloody christ i thought it was the other end. They will NEVER get transport sorted for the West End of the Harbour, not in a million years! Imagaine 10,000 cramming across the poxy Lock-Gates for starters :D Never gonna happen!

thanks mate :thumbsup:

No, what is going happen is that all the supporters are going to swim to the stadium, if not BHAFC will be turned into a Waterpolo team and at half time they can let the big cargo ship go out of the harbour.:lolol:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The harbour land is on something called "stromboli" which (I think) means moving pebbles. To build anything bigger than a prefabricated warehouse it means piling down through contaminated land to the bedrock a long way down. Possible, but expensive.

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
Who feels the war against LDC and FPC is really heating up now as we get into the final straight?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here