Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes Bonfire

Any Brighton fans who are attending Lewes tonight....just watch out for the Commercial square tableau. Absolutely superb.
Comical Square's guest band - the oompah band from Waldshut - were superb outside the Elly last night. It was amusing to see the police have to do a U-turn because the road was completely blocked by the band and the crowd.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
So if I take my confident 10 year old daughter will she be okay. Thinking of driving to Wivelsfield and getting train to Lewes.

What do you think?

We just want to watch the main processions, where's the best place to go?

So if I take my confident 10 year old daughter will she be okay. Thinking of driving to Wivelsfield and getting train to Lewes.

What do you think?

We just want to watch the main processions, where's the best place to go?
If you want a good vantage point to see the United Grand Procession, I'd suggest somewhere between the Brewers Arms and St Anne's Church. There's more to see lower down the town, but it will be very manic there.

Dandyman

In London village.
Not the bonfire boys - or the local residents. In fact, one of the best days out EVER was the open top bus from Lewes to the Donny game at the Amex - organised by a bunch of bonfire stalwarts. The town was HEAVING with blue and white stripes that day.

Marvellous scenes in Lewes last night as well.

Pictures by Roz South | Badge Nights 4 November

Cracking photos as ever. I was down at Cliffe firesite earlier today and there is a quality addition to the bonfie for people to look out for.

Ye Olde Cliffe Fire Brigade will be marching proudly through town tonight.

Dandyman

In London village.
Comical Square's guest band - the oompah band from Waldshut - were superb outside the Elly last night. It was amusing to see the police have to do a U-turn because the road was completely blocked by the band and the crowd.

I was wondering why there were so many Germans around Lewes today...

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I'm heading there tonight from Brighton, I go every year and normally drive.

I'm taking my missus brother this year who is 22 and never been before so I'm ditching the car and getting the train from Brighton so I can have a beer, watch the processions, have a few more then on to commercial square fire site.

I've just called Falmer and saltdean taxi co and asked where to get picked up from and they've said no service from lewes after 4!!!!!!!

How manic will the train station be and when do trains stop running so we can get home?

Never dealt with the trains before and commercial square is quite a trek to the station, don't want to miss one!!!!

Last edited:

Dandyman

In London village.
I'm heading there tonight from Brighton, I go every year and normally drive.

I'm taking my missus brother this year who is 22 and never been before so I'm ditching the car and getting the train from Brighton so I can have a beer, watch the processions, have a few more then on to commercial square fire site.

I've just called Falmer and saltdean taxi co and asked where to get picked up from and they've said no service from lewes after 4!!!!!!!

How manic will the train station be and when do trains stop running so we can get home?

Never dealt with the trains before and commercial square is quite a trek to the station, don't want to miss one!!!!

I think the last train is 00.22 but expect long queues at the station.

Jan 30, 2008
i lived there for 30 years just down from you jevs, before i moved to Portslade,the place ain't the same.But i'll be in Lewes tonight doing security across half of the town.Swan pub round to Waitross.A lot of walking but hey its all good fun.
what are you actually securing between the Swan and Waitross, southover street isn't exactly a no go area or are you expecting Anne of Cleeves to get gate crashed .

Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2006
Hailsham
If Lewes is too mental for some, then why not try East Hoathly on Saturday 12th? Same bonfire societies, easier to get beered up, just as impressive bonfire and, dare I say, better fireworks display. Perhaps not quite as big as it was in it's heyday (70's/80's) but still a special night.

This - but please keep it quiet, don't want too many "Lewes" type people there. :)

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
According to the Sussex Police Twitter, 10,000 people have gone through Brighton Station tonight.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
'Marvellous' to know religious bigotry is still alive & well in Lewes bonfire circles.......

Well ive never heard that before.

May i just say that to anyone who missed tonight in Lewes, i have just seen one of the best firework displays ever from the comfort of my garden. Congrats Commercial square BS

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009

May i just say that to anyone who missed tonight in Lewes, i have just seen one of the best firework displays ever from the comfort of my garden. Congrats Commercial square BS

next time can I watch from your garden and not in a muddy field with 5000 pissed teenagers throwing bangers around?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Have to say, I think it was the best ive seen from commercial square. Not that long, but so intense!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Have to say, I think it was the best ive seen from commercial square. Not that long, but so intense!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here