Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Levi Colwill

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I can’t see TB spending £35m to £50m on a defender, it just won’t happen. He’ll stick to the financial model that’s proving so incredibly successful.

(I really rate Colwill btw).
I think we're in a totally different scenario now. If TB wants to keep top managers (eg RdZ), he'll have to accede to certain of their demands. We're now in a cracking financial position. Last year's results were in credit, and this year's will exceed that quite comfortably. TB is now in a position where he can spend if he wants to. If he does, pretty sure he'll do it wisely.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think we're in a totally different scenario now. If TB wants to keep top managers (eg RdZ), he'll have to accede to certain of their demands. We're now in a cracking financial position. Last year's results were in credit, and this year's will exceed that quite comfortably. TB is now in a position where he can spend if he wants to. If he does, pretty sure he'll do it wisely.
I’d love you to be correct of course, imho Colwill is the real deal, better than Webster. I believe he’s a VVD in the making.

Precisely because of that, Winslanley/Boehly will move heaven and earth to get him to sign a new huge contract, out of our league.

I know exactly what you mean. A couple of gentle comments from RDZ was it, about support to push on? I think TB will act this summer, but not do anything to overload our long term commitments … RDZ may well depart in (say)?summer 24 anyway to join a Juve or regular CL club.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I personally think we shouldn't fear a situation where we purchase a player with a buy back option. I think it could be a way to go.

I get the point that it removes control from us, and it's a bit of a noddy thing to do. But I suppose, we have to recognise that if we are negotiating with Chelsea to buy this player, we are the weaker party in this negotiation.

If we could put a deal together like, we buy him for £30m, Chelsea get first refusal at say £45m 2 years later, yes we lose control of the situation, but we get the player for two years and either Chelsea buy him back for a £15m profit or they don't and we keep him on a long term deal.

Even another loan, would buy us time to get one of our promising young left centre backs a year in the Champ to see if they will be able to step up.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I’d love you to be correct of course, imho Colwill is the real deal, better than Webster. I believe he’s a VVD in the making.

Precisely because of that, Winslanley/Boehly will move heaven and earth to get him to sign a new huge contract, out of our league.

I know exactly what you mean. A couple of gentle comments from RDZ was it, about support to push on? I think TB will act this summer, but not do anything to overload our long term commitments … RDZ may well depart in (say)?summer 24 anyway to join a Juve or regular CL club.
We're both speculating, but can see most, if not all, of that panning out.

Edit: I've been one of Webster's most vociferous advocates on here (especially defending him against those that couldn't understand why Duffy had been moved aside), but agree that Colwill is better. That said, I still think we can challenge very high up the table with Webster as a first choice CB, and rate him at least alongside Veltman (which I know you don't). Our problem at CB, however, is that Webster is 28ish, Dunk 31ish, Veltman 32ish. We need to have one or two in the 22-25yo category that are long-term first team prospects. Colwill will fit that bill (despite being a little younger).

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2011
I'm pretty sure Mr Bloom has already fired up the VIC 20 and identified a few options for the summer. I'm certain we will enquire about buying Levi but he will not be the only egg in the left sided centre back basket.

The problem with Levi is that he has played in the premier league so even the laziest of recruitment teams (hello Everton) will have him on their list. And what this means is that even if Chelsea are willing to sell him there is every chance that other teams will outbid us in either fee, wages or both. I do think Tony would consider a record fee to sign Levi as a worthwhile investment however he is extremely unlikely to get involved in any bidding war that rises the fee to large, idiot or even Boehly levels.

I'd say the most likely to blow us out of the water would be Arsenal, they could do with another defender and are brave enough to sign very young players for their first team. And then of course Chelsea may not want to sell him anyway.

So yes, dream of signing Levi but be prepared for disappointment on that front and know that we will probably find someone better playing in the Thai 4th division and sign them for 20p and a Caramac.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We're both speculating, but can see most, if not all, of that panning out.

Edit: I've been one of Webster's most vociferous advocates on here (especially defending him against those that couldn't understand why Duffy had been moved aside), but agree that Colwill is better. That said, I still think we can challenge very high up the table with Webster as a first choice CB, and rate him at least alongside Veltman (which I know you don't). Our problem at CB, however, is that Webster is 28ish, Dunk 31ish, Veltman 32ish. We need to have one or two in the 22-25yo category that are long-term first team prospects. Colwill will fit that bill (despite being a little younger).
Veltman’s imho near perfection, so that’s no slur :lolol:.

This is me in seeking defensive perfection. Once or twice each game Webster unnecessarily sella himself near the centre circle, allowing opponents in on goal. Our bacon saved by a last ditch recover from someone else, or Steele saves or the striker fluffs his lines.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
I can’t see TB spending £35m to £50m on a defender, it just won’t happen. He’ll stick to the financial model that’s proving so incredibly successful.

(I really rate Colwill btw).
You say that but Im incredibly ITK. My hairdresser goes out with a guy who once did the roofing for the woman who works at the reception for Solly March's kids nursery and she reckons it's a done deal at 35 big ones.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Article on LC in today's Times. Highlights:

On himself: "I couldn't be bothered to get up and down", explaining his change from left wing to centre back. Enjoys 'getting the ball a lot'. Didn't play as much as he wanted when first on loan. Now playing more so "gaining my team-mates' respect and [respect] from everyone who perhaps last respect for me when I wasn't playing". Family (and he) Liverpool supporters and he idolised Gerrard.

on Potter: "Graham's a great man....I had loads of conversations with him, [he was] always guiding me the right way....I think he will start doing good things at Chelsea soon."

on RDZ: "a tactical mastermind" who has revolutionised his playing style and enhanced his development as a PL centre back. "The stuff he does in training, the way he plans games....it's amazing".

on Chelsea/Albion: Will compete with Thiago Silva (who he labels "a joke"), Fofana, Badiashile, and Koulibaly, for a start next season, but adds that Chelsea defenders are no better then Dunk, Webster, and Veltman. Implication that he does not see himself at Amex next season.

on England: not talked to Southgate (well he is playing at Brighton so what does he expect?) and it would be "rude to say I should be in the reckoning". But would be a great honour

Stats at Albion: team has won 6/8 League games he has featured in; 90% pass rate success; won 79% aerial duels; 6th in PL for completed passes per 90 mins.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Article on LC in today's Times. Highlights:

on Chelsea/Albion: Will compete with Thiago Silva (who he labels "a joke"), Fofana, Badiashile, and Koulibaly, for a start next season, but adds that Chelsea defenders are no better then Dunk, Webster, and Veltman. Implication that he does not see himself at Amex next season.
I think this is a good point. Furthermore, if anything happens to Estupinan you could see Levi being put as LB cover and - from the sound of his comments - this is not ideal for him.

Tony Bloom will not want to make a record-breaking transfer bid only to be turned down (particularly if it's Chelsea). I think the figure in question will be c. £30mill + add-ons (so c. £35mill total). Chelsea paid £35mill for Badiashile, and he's slightly more advanced along the career path and 2 years older, but not home grown.

If Chelsea want more, or if the player isn't interested in staying, then I think there is a ready-made alternative in Ecuadorian Piero Hincapie of Bayer Leverkusen. He just recently extended his contract with Bayer and is a key player, but with them slipping from 3rd last season to 8th this season they are in danger of missing out on a European place.

Tactically, he can play LCB in a back 4, wide left of a back 3, he's quick and knows Estupinan inside out. £20mill would be tempting for Bayer, although with his long contract it might be nearer £25mill to get him.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I'd send him back now. We don't need him, we're developing a player for Chelsea's benefit and I'm totally against it. He doesn't see a future here and we can't make any money from him so it's a no from me. Play Webster and JPVH ahead of him and bring through younger players ahead of him too.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I'd send him back now. We don't need him, we're developing a player for Chelsea's benefit and I'm totally against it. He doesn't see a future here and we can't make any money from him so it's a no from me. Play Webster and JPVH ahead of him and bring through younger players ahead of him too.
Even if he helped us win an FA Cup and get into Europe?! Nose, spite, face.

If we had nothing to play for I'd agree with you but in this case as we approach possibly the most important 2 months in our club's history, he needs to start every game with Dunk.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Qualification to continental football actually means a bit of money.

He might go back to Chelsea this summer. If it goes well for him, he's gone forever, if it goes badly, he'll be back in Brighton in two years.

He won't be sent home because he is very good and TB/RDZ/feckin everyone wants to win as many football matches as possible and when that is the case, very good players are quite useful.

In general I agree that loans are not the way forward but I don't mind the odd exception if it really brings something to the team, which this loan has.
Sending him home really does nothing for anyone besides JPVH. I don't know if it is worth risking to throw away the chances of a title or a top 7 position just to give Van Hecke some experience.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I think this is a good point. Furthermore, if anything happens to Estupinan you could see Levi being put as LB cover and - from the sound of his comments - this is not ideal for him.

Tony Bloom will not want to make a record-breaking transfer bid only to be turned down (particularly if it's Chelsea). I think the figure in question will be c. £30mill + add-ons (so c. £35mill total). Chelsea paid £35mill for Badiashile, and he's slightly more advanced along the career path and 2 years older, but not home grown.

If Chelsea want more, or if the player isn't interested in staying, then I think there is a ready-made alternative in Ecuadorian Piero Hincapie of Bayer Leverkusen. He just recently extended his contract with Bayer and is a key player, but with them slipping from 3rd last season to 8th this season they are in danger of missing out on a European place.

Tactically, he can play LCB in a back 4, wide left of a back 3, he's quick and knows Estupinan inside out. £20mill would be tempting for Bayer, although with his long contract it might be nearer £25mill to get him.
In my opinion the fee demanded - if not an outright “not for sale” - is likely to be far higher than that and would go entirely against our club principles, and he will be their starting CB next season. I think they know what they have, hence being unable to get him permanently in the first place and settling on a loan.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Remember, Levi doing well here doesn’t mean it will translate well to Chelsea, Cucurella proved that.

Hes been much better since he came into the team on a consistent basis playing week in week out, I must say his first few appearances for us I wasn’t convinced, would he get repeated starts at Chelsea to build the same kind of form hes had here? Potentially not, i do think he will stay at Chelsea but I can see him being a bit part player, which will be detrimental to his career path IMO.

CB is one of those positions that relies a lot on rythym and partnerships, it’s a lot more complex than just being a good player, Webster us the same... struggles when he’s not starting consistently.

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
I do wonder though that Chelsea having spent huge amounts of money buying players will need to recoup some to stay within FFP. LC from the academy could be sold for pure profit and it may be tempting to cash in. We’ll see. They have a track record of letting players of potential leave when young. Different regime now though unfortunately.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
It's similar to how "we don't do release clauses". Tony would rather not, but because it was the only way to get Mooy to sign we did.

Mooy is slightly different as we effectively took over his contract when he signed his permanent deal with us from Huddersfield. So we absorbed all of the pre-exisiting clauses as well. This included a release clause that allowed him to join a Chinese Super League side. We had to accept the clause, but we wouldn't have given it to him had it not already been in the contract.

Qualification to continental football actually means a bit of money.
Champions League comes will a lot of money, but the money for Europa League and Conference League really isn't that great compared to the CL and what clubs get in the Premier League. The Europa League winner would only get about £20 million in total prize money and that's only if they win all 6 group games and includes £3.5 million just for getting to the group stage (which would be guaranteed for a PL club).

Compare that to the fact the the lowest ranked of the 32 sides that makes the group stage of the Champions League gets £36 million before any additional prize money for group stage wins and any prize money for progress to the KO stages is factored in.

Obviously there is the potential for increased sponsorship and commercial deals for clubs getting to Europe but Champions League aside it isn't the cash cow lots of people think it is. In fact with increased wages and travel costs etc it could be difficult to break even in the minor UEFA competitions if you don't have a particularly good group stage and are knocked out early.

It's probably worth noting that winning the Europa League is also worth more than the £20 million or so you'll get that season as you are guaranteed a place in the group stages of the Champions League the following season which obviously brings a lot more money.

Last edited:

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Nah. You just work with the squad you've got to max your results I reckon. I'd say if he's our 2nd best defender he will want to show Chelsea he can be in their squad next year by playing at his max. We then utilise that to get what we need this season then use the Bloominator to get us an equivalent defender in the summer from the Albanian 2nd division.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here