Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Letting agents - any experience?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
In my experience, they're the best.

From a landlords point of view, been with them for over 5 years now and only had one issue with them. Overall, very professional and provided the tenant adheres to the contract, seem very professional towards them too.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
From a landlords point of view, been with them for over 5 years now and only had one issue with them. Overall, very professional and provided the tenant adheres to the contract, seem very professional towards them too.

And from a tenants point of view they are the largest in Brighton and Hove and Sussex and therefore at the moment when stock is so low they are likely to have the best choice.

Oh and they are Friends of the Albion

larus

Update time.

Wend to see both properties and they were being honest with me. They knew I couldn't commit yet as still not exchanged (hopefully 2-3 weeks), said that both properties had been offered on, but the landlords were willing to go ahead with my viewings and then decide. As I can't commit, they will probably go with the others tenants.

I found them easy to deal with; not at all pushy and will definately go back to look via them.

scooter1

How soon is now?
What is the criteria for being a "Friend of the Albion", surely its just being prepared to pay for an advert slot in the Program??

I have let through Leaders and in my experience they were expensive, both through the management process and for any minor repairs - £65 to replace an £8 blind. I was only in London, so got on the train and did myself..

Just Lets in Hove - C**TS. And they're supposed to be "Friends of the Albion". These people were shocking and in the end we had to go legal with them to get the deposit of a tenant who pissed off owing a load of back rent. He was a pro con man and if they'd checked the references properly they'd have found this out as previous employment companies didn't actually exist.

As a landlord(of only one property, this isn't a business) we do it privately, and its been fine so far. There are enough laws to protect both the tenant and the landlord, and doing it this way we can suss out potential tenants and take a decision on whether we like them. We can also check all references, to me this is important.

Hopefully i'll never have to use a letting agent again......

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've also had a bad experiance with Leaders and would never use them again.

Out of interest can you divulge? As a landlord I use Leaders, I find them pretty good. PM me if you do not want to put it on here.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Out of interest can you divulge? As a landlord I use Leaders, I find them pretty good. PM me if you do not want to put it on here.

The main issue was that we had mould in the bedroom and contacted the helpline on 3 occasions where they would get incontact with the Landlord. We were told that they would get back to us but never did. We then eventualy went down to the shop with photos so they can accually see how bad it was, whilst we were their they had the landlord on the phone and he promoised he would get incontact with us on the Monday (which he never)
So we got to the point where it was obvious that neither Leaders or the Landlord was going to do anything about it so saw the year out on our tennacy (only had about 4 months left after visiting the shop) They did try to claim the mould off of our deposit but eventualy released it after we stated our intention to take it futher if we had to.

It was more the Landlord being an arse but the whole reason we went through Leaders was that we felt if their was a problem with the property that wasn't our fault then they would mediator.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
I worked in lettings and as an agent takes applicants to view it's done on first come basis, subject to refs etc.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The main issue was that we had mould in the bedroom and contacted the helpline on 3 occasions where they would get incontact with the Landlord. We were told that they would get back to us but never did. We then eventualy went down to the shop with photos so they can accually see how bad it was, whilst we were their they had the landlord on the phone and he promoised he would get incontact with us on the Monday (which he never)
So we got to the point where it was obvious that neither Leaders or the Landlord was going to do anything about it so saw the year out on our tennacy (only had about 4 months left after visiting the shop) They did try to claim the mould off of our deposit but eventualy released it after we stated our intention to take it futher if we had to.

It was more the Landlord being an arse but the whole reason we went through Leaders was that we felt if their was a problem with the property that wasn't our fault then they would mediator.

Sounds like the main problem was a cheap skate landlord. Some landlords either lack the common decency, personal pride, funds or a combination of these to maintain their property. But I agree Leaders could have acted better.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Im having a look around the market for a one bed place for myself. Everything seems ridiculously overpriced

Even for the smallest of studio flats (just one room with seperate bathroom) everything seems to be over £600pcm, with a couple of very bad ones at £550

Ive had a look at house/flat shares too, which seems to be the best way, but that involves living with randoms, but the £550-£600 includes most of the bills

I always found Leaders talked down to me as if I was dirt of their shoe.

I am new to the rental market (as a tennant anyhow).

Basically no one will let me a flat. I can show healthy bank statments, I own a very nice house and make enough money to pay my way and have a few holidays, yet because I am self employed and cannot produce 3 years account for my current project my choices are either get a guarantor (at nearly 40 and extremly independant, there is no way, even if I knew someone which I don't!) or pay £6000 up front. 6 months rent, deposit and agency fees.

So if anyone has a flat to let in Shoreham (2 beds, pref on the beach) please let me know!

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
In my experience the property that is resonably priced and in a nice area upon enqiury "has just this minute gone" followed with "but I do have this more expensive one", these sales ploys are always being tried on Estate Agents are the same as Car Sales men in my experience, the only decent people who genuinly helped me and did all they could was John and Marting at James Dean, which is surprising because I had heard a few negative things about James Dean but these two blokes were as genuine well as genuine as two second hand car sales people could be I suppose

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I always found Leaders talked down to me as if I was dirt of their shoe.

I am new to the rental market (as a tennant anyhow).

Basically no one will let me a flat. I can show healthy bank statments, I own a very nice house and make enough money to pay my way and have a few holidays, yet because I am self employed and cannot produce 3 years account for my current project my choices are either get a guarantor (at nearly 40 and extremly independant, there is no way, even if I knew someone which I don't!) or pay £6000 up front. 6 months rent, deposit and agency fees.

So if anyone has a flat to let in Shoreham (2 beds, pref on the beach) please let me know!

Don't mean to be rude, but there must be more to this than you are indicating. I know Leaders reference criteria and if all you say above is true they would definitely let you a property.

Is there something else?

Don't mean to be rude, but there must be more to this than you are indicating. I know Leaders reference criteria and if all you say above is true they would definitely let you a property.

Is there something else?

They will let me one, but I have to pay 6 months rent up front. It's the fact I am self employed and cannot provide 3 years accounts. I should add, that although I have found Leaders do talk down to me, this is not just their policy, it is every agent I have spoken to..

But there really is nothing else. Am a clean living chap. Tick all the boxes like own own home, never had a CCJ, same bank for 20 years, never missed a mortage payment........

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

I used Leaders for the first few years I owned a flat to let. They never did anything wrong, really, the flat was always let, but they never did anything extra either. I moved to used Parks Residential, who seem to be a bit more efficient, and a cheaper letting rate was negotiated for me. They did quite a good job with my current tenant, who apparently had a slightly dodgy letting history of letting - not in problems with money, but in leaving previous places in a bit of a state, so Parks got a large deposit upfront and made him very aware of what was expected in terms of looking after the place.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
There was an article on the news yesterday that suggested that gazumping, going in with a higher offer, was now a feature of the rental market...which I reckon is pretty mental, but given that demand outstrips supply it is perhaps not much of a surprise.

Yes- this was on the news 6 months ago as well so not a new thing. Slightly worrying that's for sure. The only way is to avoid lettings agents and use Gumtree or somewhere where the owners are advertising direct. While this does not mean they won't do the same thing, it is less likely.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
They will let me one, but I have to pay 6 months rent up front. It's the fact I am self employed and cannot provide 3 years accounts. I should add, that although I have found Leaders do talk down to me, this is not just their policy, it is every agent I have spoken to..

But there really is nothing else. Am a clean living chap. Tick all the boxes like own own home, never had a CCJ, same bank for 20 years, never missed a mortage payment........

The bottom line though will be that no letting agent is going to be keen to let to someone who can't prove their income. Is there not anyway you can do this? Why don't you have any accounts if you're self employed?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Newly self-employed maybe? This is a common problem.

And one that is difficult to get around. The agent will have a duty to their landlord to prove that the incoming tenant is capable of paying the rent. If you can't demonstrate what you're earning I really don't see how that is the agent's fault.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A proper letting agent is fantastic. Worth every penny.
It depends on your situation. If you're busy at work and don't have the time to manage a property yourself, and don't need the money, then a letting agent is a necessity, but they aren't cheap. I've been renting out property since 98 and I've never used an agent to manage a property. I can assure you that I care more about the quality of tenant that I get than an agent would.

They knew I couldn't commit yet as still not exchanged (hopefully 2-3 weeks)
If you exchange in 2/3 weeks, when do you expect to complete? And what sort or property are you after? Depending on the type of property, it can also be worth trying gumtree - I'm doing viewings for a room advertised through gumtree tonight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here