Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Letting agents - any experience?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Having just moved flat in Brighton, I can confirm that it is very difficult to find one at the moment! You'll find that most of those advertised online have actually already gone and when you do view a place, be prepared to give them a deposit that day or you'll lose out.

We were lucky in that we found a property managed by an agent in Eastbourne (Ancells Estates), who had to have a lot of prior notice to come over to Brighton and show us round. This meant that they hadn't had nearly as many viewings as the other places we looked at and the flat is probably £50pm cheaper than equivalents with Brighton-based agents.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And one that is difficult to get around. The agent will have a duty to their landlord to prove that the incoming tenant is capable of paying the rent. If you can't demonstrate what you're earning I really don't see how that is the agent's fault.

True, I was only suggesting a reason btw...not defending the agent.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My experience with Leaders was as a landlord.

Having taken on my property and shown it to a few students, they took a deposit off someone and got them to sign an agreement.

Some cock from their office then turned up at my house, turned his nose up at it and DEMANDED that I spend a lot of money on it (new windows, etc) before he'd even consider allowing his company to be associated with it. I pointed out to him that some of his clients were perfectly happy to rent it at the price advertised and there was no way I was going to make improvements without an adjustment to the rent, as it took the current condition into account. He was adamant that the work had to be done, so I showed him the door.

The property was successfully rented out for about 6 years after that without ever having to use an agent. I've no idea what he told the potential tenants who had paid their deposit.

Raonull

Jun 29, 2011
USA
Hi,
I had two people after a property that, I was letting one who was sale agreed and one not selling anything, I would go with the one without anything to sell. The problem is your sale could fall through, and obviously you then wouldn't want to rent..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here