Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Letting agents - any experience?

larus

Hi.

I've sold (STC), and have arranged 2 viewings tomorrow on properties to rent. The letting company phoned today and said that there are people interested in both properties that I'm viewing, so they may cancel tomorrow.

I've never dealt with letting agent, but wondered if this was ploy to get me to sign-up asap, or whether I'm being cynical?

Anyone got any experience of this as well?

Cheers.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Since when did you have to sign up with a letting agent if you're looking for somewhere to rent? Or do you mean sign up as in rent the property?

If you're looking in a popular area eg Central Brighton they're probably telling you the truth. You need to move fast. But you still don't need to take anything you don't like or think is over-priced.

generation x

its in the blood
Nov 24, 2007
Very little available to rent at the moment. Still take your time & don't let a suit pressurise you into something that ain't right for you. Good luck!

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
I have just moved, and every property we viewed there were people looking before us and after us.
Everyone is looking to rent at the moment. So I'd say they are probably telling the truth.
However, don't rush into it. Unless absolutely impossible, always have a second viewing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not sure where you are looking to rent but the central Brighton/Hove market is very very 'buoyant' and you will need to be very quick off the mark to secure somewhere. Stuff literally goes in hours.

Martin Lambert

Jun 9, 2010
Mid-Sussex
I work for an agent in Hove. I only deal with sales, but we do have a lettings department. All lettings properties seem to be snapped up very quickly at the moment. There is a real shortage of new rental properties becoming available. Tenants seem to be staying put for longer, there aren't many buy to let investors buying new stock. If you see something you are happy with don't hesitate pay the holding fee or someone else will.

Martin Lambert

Jun 9, 2010
Mid-Sussex
I have just moved, and every property we viewed there were people looking before us and after us.
Everyone is looking to rent at the moment. So I'd say they are probably telling the truth.
However, don't rush into it. Unless absolutely impossible, always have a second viewing.

Very unusual to get the chance of second viewing in the market.

larus

Since when did you have to sign up with a letting agent if you're looking for somewhere to rent? Or do you mean sign up as in rent the property?

If you're looking in a popular area eg Central Brighton they're probably telling you the truth. You need to move fast. But you still don't need to take anything you don't like or think is over-priced.

What I meant was that they may cancel my viewings if the properties go. I'm looking in Haywards Heath, but I guess this is the same as Brighton (in terms of demand) as it's a commuter town.

Thanks for the info.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Glad to hear that the market is still buoyant. This time last year, ours was the only 4 bed property available to rent in Hurstpierpoint and it was snapped up. It'll be on the Market again later in the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
What I meant was that they may cancel my viewings if the properties go. I'm looking in Haywards Heath, but I guess this is the same as Brighton (in terms of demand) as it's a commuter town.

Thanks for the info.

What agent are you using? I'm a solicitor in HH and know all the local agents- some are more reputable than others....

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I work in the industry and the number of available properties is at an all time low. Great time to be a landlord, not a great time to be a tenant. Rents are rising in most areas and tenants have to be quick off the mark to secure a property.

In fairness to the agent they are probably actually trying to be nice, realising that they don't you to make a wasted visit.

One agent I know is actually asking for sealed bids as to how much PCM they are prepared to pay! Now that is ruthless.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Leaders - long commute from Bristol lol

In my experience, they're the worst!

When I had a flat in Haywards Heath, I used The Letting People in Burgess Hill and they were brilliant. I'd also recommend Marcus Grimes, who we use in Hurstpierpoint, but have an office in Haywards Heath too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
There was an article on the news yesterday that suggested that gazumping, going in with a higher offer, was now a feature of the rental market...which I reckon is pretty mental, but given that demand outstrips supply it is perhaps not much of a surprise.

Devon Seagull

Sep 25, 2004
South Devon
A problem you may get is if I had two people after a property that I was letting one who was sale agreed and one not selling anything I would go with the one without anything to sell. The problem is your sale could fall through and obviously you then wouldn't want to rent....the landlord has the right to choose who he decides to take up references on.

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
A proper letting agent is fantastic. Worth every penny. They don't overcharge on minor repairs or bother you needlessly. My place in Lewes is let with Bradley Property services. The owner is an Albion fan- Darren.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here