Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let's All Slag Arsenal Off

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I am not a big fan of Arsenal due to their lack of English players. However, I thought they were the better team last night and were in control until that offside goal was allowed.

Barcelona on the other hand were very disappointing. They spent most of their time diving (how was Deco not booked for that dive on the edge of the Arsenal area) and generally complaining. The referee did not help by favouring Barcelona whenever he could and sending off Lehmann when he should have let the goal stand, like Chelsea vs Liverpool last year.

I am not normally that bothered about Arsenal in Europe but found myself supporting them last night. Also, on a Brighton message board why do we have to have Spurs fans mocking Arsenal's defeat. This is for Brighton fans, not Tottenham fans.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Finchley Seagull said:

I am not normally that bothered about Arsenal in Europe but found myself supporting them last night. Also, on a Brighton message board why do we have to have Spurs fans mocking Arsenal's defeat. This is for Brighton fans, not Tottenham fans.

But why do we have so many Arsenal fans moaning about their defeat? I don't see why it's OK to support Arsenal and not Spurs.

I wanted Arsenal to win until I heard about their efforts to help the anti-Falmer campaign so after that I wanted Barca to win. I honestly don't understand why anyone who calls himself a Brighton fan would want Arsenal to win after that.

I can't say I was that wild about Barca winning though. I do think that moaning about the ref is pathetic. I really can't see any justification for saying that he favoured Barca, the complete reverse if anything.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Gwylan said:
Arsenal to win until I heard about their efforts to help the anti-Falmer campaign so after that I wanted Barca to win. I honestly don't understand why anyone who calls himself a Brighton fan would want Arsenal to win after that.

What, when, how, who, where, why?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ??

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Gwylan said:
But why do we have so many Arsenal fans moaning about their defeat? I don't see why it's OK to support Arsenal and not Spurs.

I wanted Arsenal to win until I heard about their efforts to help the anti-Falmer campaign so after that I wanted Barca to win. I honestly don't understand why anyone who calls himself a Brighton fan would want Arsenal to win after that.

I can't say I was that wild about Barca winning though. I do think that moaning about the ref is pathetic. I really can't see any justification for saying that he favoured Barca, the complete reverse if anything.

Firstly, what are you on about? How have Arsenal been helping the anti-Falmer campaign? I have not heard anything about that.

Secondly, I do not support Arsenal (my only team is Brighton) but I see a lot more people going on about Spurs than Arsenal on NSC. I also did not see many Arsenal fans going on about getting fourth place on here.

Finally, why is commenting on the referee pathetic. How can you say his decisions favoured Arsenal? They were the better team until Lehmann was sent off and if play had continued and the goal stood (the common sense decision) the result may have been different. The general free kicks favoured Barcelona and Henry's booking was a disgrace whereas Puyol and Marquez were kicking him from behind all game and never booked. I am not sure which match you watched if you think the referee favoured Arsenal. The final insult was the first goal for Barcelona which was offside.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Gwylan said:
... I wanted Arsenal to win until I heard about their efforts to help the anti-Falmer campaign so after that I wanted Barca to win. I honestly don't understand why anyone who calls himself a Brighton fan would want Arsenal to win after that. ...

Eh? When was that and what did they do?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
What is Spurs fans obsession with Dawson. He seems to be a typical Terry Butcher style centre back. Good in the air, strong in the tackle but shite distribution. Whenever I have seen him play for the U21's, when he is on the ball he never looks up and just wellies it. He is a long way behind Ferdinand, Woodgate, Campbell, Terry, Brown and Carragher in the England pecking order. Also McLaren will probably pick Riggott ahead of everyone next season....

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
What is Spurs fans obsession with Dawson. He seems to be a typical Terry Butcher style centre back. Good in the air, strong in the tackle but shite distribution. Whenever I have seen him play for the U21's, when he is on the ball he never looks up and just wellies it. He is a long way behind Ferdinand, Woodgate, Campbell, Terry, Brown and Carragher in the England pecking order. Also McLaren will probably pick Riggott ahead of everyone next season....

He's better than Brown. Mind you Riggott is better than Brown.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
But then Brown was touted as an option for the World Cup, Dawson was not.

Dawson was playing regularly for Spurs, Brown couldn't even get in the united side regualrly, even when fit. And if we are basing a players standing on the decision making of Sven then we are in deep shit. Dawson always looks very composed to me.

robbied69

Sep 20, 2005
North London
To be honest, Henry proved himself to be a bad loser. Do you reckon he will go Barcelona now this summer?

Dandyman

In London village.
robbied69 said:
To be honest, Henry proved himself to be a bad loser. Do you reckon he will go Barcelona now this summer?

857524-henrypriceless.jpg

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I couldn't care less about all this Spurs Arsenal bollocks. I just want to know what this accusation about Arsenal helping the anti-Falmer campaign is.
Well? I'm waiting.

Last edited:

Albion Rob

What yesterday did show up is that Thierry Henry is not as good as he thinks he is. In fact, I'd almost go as far as to say he reminds me of Bobby Zamora.

Don't get me wrong, Henry is brilliant to watch and a very good player but to be considered in the top three in the world you have to be scoring goals in the big matches and Henry just doesn't do that.

Back to the Zamora bit, Bobby is brilliant at racking up the goals against inferior defences but when he is playing against quality players there is something a little bit lacking and he is not so successful.

Henry is consistently brilliant against the likes of Middlesbrough and Wigan and has a real talent for making their defenders look like pub players.

However, when he comes up against genuinely classy defenders, he struggles. Maybe it's psychological and he's a bit of a choker but a record of 0 goals in his last seven finals, a mediocre international record when playing for one of the best teams in the world and his record against sides like Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool is not exactly inspiring.

Give me Gary Lineker in his prime any day.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Albion Rob said:
What yesterday did show up is that Thierry Henry is not as good as he thinks he is. In fact, I'd almost go as far as to say he reminds me of Bobby Zamora.

Don't get me wrong, Henry is brilliant to watch and a very good player but to be considered in the top three in the world you have to be scoring goals in the big matches and Henry just doesn't do that.

Back to the Zamora bit, Bobby is brilliant at racking up the goals against inferior defences but when he is playing against quality players there is something a little bit lacking and he is not so successful.

Henry is consistently brilliant against the likes of Middlesbrough and Wigan and has a real talent for making their defenders look like pub players.

However, when he comes up against genuinely classy defenders, he struggles. Maybe it's psychological and he's a bit of a choker but a record of 0 goals in his last seven finals, a mediocre international record when playing for one of the best teams in the world and his record against sides like Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool is not exactly inspiring.

Give me Gary Lineker in his prime any day.

Spot and on.

Dandyman

In London village.
Rangdo said:
I couldn't care less about all this Spurs Arsenal bollocks. I just want to know what this accusation about Arsenal helping the anti-Falmer campaign is.
Well? I'm waiting.

Arsenal's stadium raises hackles in local election

David Conn
Wednesday May 3, 2006
The Guardian

Arsenal play their final game at their Highbury home on Sunday but the row over their new Emirates Stadium is tomorrow a local election issue in the London borough of Islington.
The latest in a catalogue of concerns centres on the decision to allow 40 coaches to park on residential streets rather than beneath the 60,000-seat stadium as agreed in Arsenal's 2002 planning proposal. Local residents, trade unions and other organisations complain that Arsenal, a private company, is being allowed to cause huge disruption to the area for a development the club concedes is motivated by its own commercial benefit.

Arsenal had promised £7.6m to upgrade the nearest stations, Holloway Road on the Underground and Drayton Park on the overground network. But instead supporters leaving the ground will walk through residential areas to the more distant Finsbury Park and Highbury & Islington stations. The club will not now be building a new sports centre as agreed but will instead contribute £1m to as yet unspecified other facilities in the area. The location of affordable housing as part of the development has also been criticised.
"As a football stadium, it is wonderful," said Jeannette Arnold, a Labour Greater London Assembly member, "but many residents do feel alienated and Arsenal's board must understand that." But Steve Hitchins, Islington council's Liberal Democrat leader, insisted that keeping Arsenal in the borough was a coup, adding that "we have secured amazing community benefits, revitalising the whole area".

However, the only independent report into the development, by the government planning inspector Rupert Grantham, concluded that it would deliver "disappointingly low" community benefits, and called it "simply a redevelopment scheme" favouring Arsenal's "private interests".

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Dandyman said:
Arsenal's stadium raises hackles in local election

David Conn
Wednesday May 3, 2006
The Guardian

Arsenal play their final game at their Highbury home on Sunday but the row over their new Emirates Stadium is tomorrow a local election issue in the London borough of Islington.
The latest in a catalogue of concerns centres on the decision to allow 40 coaches to park on residential streets rather than beneath the 60,000-seat stadium as agreed in Arsenal's 2002 planning proposal. Local residents, trade unions and other organisations complain that Arsenal, a private company, is being allowed to cause huge disruption to the area for a development the club concedes is motivated by its own commercial benefit.

Arsenal had promised £7.6m to upgrade the nearest stations, Holloway Road on the Underground and Drayton Park on the overground network. But instead supporters leaving the ground will walk through residential areas to the more distant Finsbury Park and Highbury & Islington stations. The club will not now be building a new sports centre as agreed but will instead contribute £1m to as yet unspecified other facilities in the area. The location of affordable housing as part of the development has also been criticised.
"As a football stadium, it is wonderful," said Jeannette Arnold, a Labour Greater London Assembly member, "but many residents do feel alienated and Arsenal's board must understand that." But Steve Hitchins, Islington council's Liberal Democrat leader, insisted that keeping Arsenal in the borough was a coup, adding that "we have secured amazing community benefits, revitalising the whole area".

However, the only independent report into the development, by the government planning inspector Rupert Grantham, concluded that it would deliver "disappointingly low" community benefits, and called it "simply a redevelopment scheme" favouring Arsenal's "private interests".

How is that helping the anti-falmer brigade. Certainly not directly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here