Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let's all laugh at SCOTLAND

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
So China and India to play out the World Cup final? ???

No, neither China nor India have any sort of history of playing competitive international football so the point you and others make on this thread about huge Asian countries is obtuse.

My point, in response to someone saying that the difference between England and the other home countries was that England can afford not to even have Ashley Young on the bench whereas he would walk into any other team (which I would agree with) is that you clearly have a much larger pool of talent to pick from. Does anybody disagree with this?

The bottom line is that Scotland in particular and the others to a lesser extent (not including Wales who are always shite despite having the odd world class players) have punched above their weight for a very long time but it's becoming increasingly difficult to do so.

We should have at least got to the play-offs in the group we were in and to no do so was a big disappointment but I don't think we've disgraced ourselves. We wouldn't have got through the play-offs anyway, but allowing Norway to come 2nd was a real kick in the nads.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I was in bonny Scotland just before a major game against Germany. I counted at least 5 German flags hanging iout of bedroom windows on the journey from the airport to the city.

They take a delight in upping any oppos of the English with particular reverence to the Argies and the Germans. I have yet to see any concern south of the border or feigned support to Scotlands adversaries in any competetive sport.

Anyone think to hang out the Dutch flag last night? Any top English pro sportsman (aside from Tennis) adorn the Dutch shirt whilst giving an IV?

Goes around and comes around.

I would add that I am of Scottish ancestry and thus used to be a bit mixed up about my country sporting allegiances until i saw the hatred displayed toward us English footballing folk. Added to that I am always astonished as to how the Scots and the Irish get this funloving, good natured, banter billowing bunch of travelling fans whilst the English are broad brush branded as thugs.

Wee Jock Mc Poo and his mates can parade in their Kilts around some market square singing ' ye tek the hee rood and arl tek the loo rood' and the TV cameras will film them and then cut tio our louts flinging plastic at Pierre.

Are we really sure that wee Jock doesn'a git up too the same trix?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I was in bonny Scotland just before a major game against Germany. I counted at least 5 German flags hanging iout of bedroom windows on the journey from the airport to the city.

They take a delight in upping any oppos of the English with particular reverence to the Argies and the Germans. I have yet to see any concern south of the border or feigned support to Scotlands adversaries in any competetive sport.

Anyone think to hang out the Dutch flag last night? Any top English pro sportsman (aside from Tennis) adorn the Dutch shirt whilst giving an IV?

Goes around and comes around.
i was 8 during the 1974 world cup when we "didnae" qualify , and like most english people i just automatically supported scotland, as i would any of the home nations, alas this is no longer true, a lot of people are pig sick of the scots supposedly " good natured" ( yeah right) anti english jibes and bias , in fact this goes for the welsh as well, and take great delight in their depressingly regular failures at football and to be honest, most sports.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
We should have at least got to the play-offs in the group we were in and to no do so was a big disappointment but I don't think we've disgraced ourselves. We wouldn't have got through the play-offs anyway, but allowing Norway to come 2nd was a real kick in the nads.
Why?
They have at least as much quality as Scotland do, if not more.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
SNORway are the most BORING team in the world.
I would actually have preferred the Scots to qualify, rather than risk that scandinavian mob getting through again and boring the TITS off everyone in the Finals.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
i was 8 during the 1974 world cup when we "didnae" qualify , and like most english people i just automatically supported scotland, as i would any of the home nations, alas this is no longer true, a lot of people are pig sick of the scots supposedly " good natured" ( yeah right) anti english jibes and bias , in fact this goes for the welsh as well, and take great delight in their depressingly regular failures at football and to be honest, most sports.

This is exactly how I feel. I always used to support ALL the home nations in the World cup, always wanted Sctoland to do well in 98 world cup. However, having been to Scotland and seen the quite pathetic anti England t-shirts, mugs and other gubbins I have no support for them at all.

Scotland are out and to be honest they are f***ing shit. England on the other hand look like a team who can go all the way. Scotland will never, ever, ever be anywhere near as good as the current England team, why don't they go a fuckin print that on a t-shirt.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No, neither China nor India have any sort of history of playing competitive international football so the point you and others make on this thread about huge Asian countries is obtuse.

My point, in response to someone saying that the difference between England and the other home countries was that England can afford not to even have Ashley Young on the bench whereas he would walk into any other team (which I would agree with) is that you clearly have a much larger pool of talent to pick from. Does anybody disagree with this?

The bottom line is that Scotland in particular and the others to a lesser extent (not including Wales who are always shite despite having the odd world class players) have punched above their weight for a very long time but it's becoming increasingly difficult to do so.

Very good post.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
This is exactly how I feel. I always used to support ALL the home nations in the World cup, always wanted Sctoland to do well in 98 world cup. However, having been to Scotland and seen the quite pathetic anti England t-shirts, mugs and other gubbins I have no support for them at all.

Scotland are out and to be honest they are f***ing shit. England on the other hand look like a team who can go all the way. Scotland will never, ever, ever be anywhere near as good as the current England team, why don't they go a fuckin print that on a t-shirt.
:thumbsup:

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
YAWN.

To those of you who express shock at the celts wanting england to lose- are you really suprised? Do you know anything about history? You're all neighbours, which is always a bad start, and further to that england have been fairly twattish neighbours too down the years (the odd invasion etc etc). Hence - the Scots, Welsh and Irish DON'T suport england. Rocket science, in other words.

At the same time, when it comes to football england usually have more important things to worry about, like actually being at the finals of a tournament and in big matches. To the celts, england are the big rivals, the successful neighbours if you like, and there is certain pleasure in seeing them fall flat. You'd be more inclined to support the celts as your main rivals are Argentina and Germany etc, and the celts, frankly, aren't a danger.

Has to be said though- going to the effort of hanging a 'german' flag from your window or buying the shirt just because they're playing england is just sad.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
yawn.

To those of you who express shock at the celts wanting england to lose- are you really suprised? Do you know anything about history? You're all neighbours, which is always a bad start, and further to that england have been fairly twattish neighbours too down the years (the odd invasion etc etc). Hence - the scots, welsh and irish don't suport england. Rocket science, in other words.

At the same time, when it comes to football england usually have more important things to worry about, like actually being at the finals of a tournament and in big matches. To the celts, england are the big rivals, the successful neighbours if you like, and there is certain pleasure in seeing them fall flat. You'd be more inclined to support the celts as your main rivals are argentina and germany etc, and the celts, frankly, aren't a danger.

Has to be said though- going to the effort of hanging a 'german' flag from your window or buying the shirt just because they're playing england is just sad.

yawn

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Its not just SAD, its financial craziness. A Germany or Argentina shirt would set them back about 40 notes. That's a huge chunk out of your week's benefits to be throwing away on petty spitefulness.

Tabs and deep-fried mars bars don't grow on trees you know.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
YAWN.

To those of you who express shock at the celts wanting england to lose- are you really suprised? Do you know anything about history? You're all neighbours, which is always a bad start, and further to that england have been fairly twattish neighbours too down the years (the odd invasion etc etc). Hence - the Scots, Welsh and Irish DON'T suport england. Rocket science, in other words.

I don't buy all this about history. So what that Robert the Bruce and William Wallace had issues in the 1300's. That's not your Grandad or Great Grandad. Its getting on for 700 years ago. There hasn't been any issues since James 1st became king of england and Scotland in the 1600's.

We've had wars with South africa, Russia, France, Argentina and Germany since 1800 and i don't see many russians crying about the Crimea. Whats so special about Scotland?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
YAWN.

At the same time, when it comes to football england usually have more important things to worry about, like actually being at the finals of a tournament and in big matches. To the celts, england are the big rivals, the successful neighbours if you like, and there is certain pleasure in seeing them fall flat. You'd be more inclined to support the celts as your main rivals are Argentina and Germany etc, and the celts, frankly, aren't a danger.

Who's expressing shock? Not us English. The shock seems to come from the Scots who are astounded that we've finally wised up to their chippiness and racism. I used to be solidly Unionist. Now I'm just English.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I did want Scotland to make the play offs, the nearer they get the bigger the heart ache when they mess up...

Exactly why i can't wait until the quarter finals in S. Africa!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I don't buy all this about history. So what that Robert the Bruce and William Wallace had issues in the 1300's. That's not your Grandad or Great Grandad. Its getting on for 700 years ago. There hasn't been any issues since James 1st became king of england and Scotland in the 1600's.

We've had wars with South africa, Russia, France, Argentina and Germany since 1800 and i don't see many russians crying about the Crimea. Whats so special about Scotland?

I think you'll find the Argentinians are not England's biggest fans. As for whats so special, I spose it *could* be something to do with continued rule from Westminster?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here