Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lets all diss the Yanks so called sports

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Brovian said:
You can argue the same about football with extra time, golden goals, silver goals and penalty shoot-outs but at the end of the day you win or lose (or draw for league games).

It is different in hockey. A loss in overtime or penalty shootout isn't the same as a straight loss. You get a point for a start.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
bhaexpress said:
Has anybody noticed that the US boasts world Champions at sports that nobody plays seriously if at all ?

Baseball, played a bit in Japan, Australia and Mexico, far less than Cricket of course.

American Football, really not played outside tie US, even the CFL is a different (but many say better) game.

Ice Hockey, okay, played a bit in the Eastern Block but not to the same level.

Basketball, played at a semi pro level in a handful of countries virtually all of whom would claim Football (real football that is) as their national sport.

Baseball is played in more countries than cricket. Take a look at where MLB players come from. We've had this argument before. There are more countries affiliated to the World baseball body than the world cricket body.

Hockey is played in many countries - Germany, Sweden, Finland, Switzerland, France, Italy, Yugoslavia (or whatever they are now). . .'

I dislike basketball personally but I think you are wrong there too. There are several countries where it is a passion. Greece and the former Yugoslavia come to mind, but I might be wrong.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Juan Albion said:
Baseball is played in more countries than cricket. Take a look at where MLB players come from. We've had this argument before. There are more countries affiliated to the World baseball body than the world cricket body.
Cricket is easily the most popular sport in India which alone has a bigger population than the USA, Japan, Mexico, Costa Rica, Phillipines, Canada and Puerto Rico the main baseball playing countries put together.
I don't want to knock baseball but baseball sees cricket as a worldwide rival and that's why their people always knock cricket for being slow and a quaint game for English toffs.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
bhaexpress said:
Has anybody noticed that the US boasts world Champions at sports that nobody plays seriously if at all ?

Baseball, played a bit in Japan, Australia and Mexico, far less than Cricket of course.

wee bit of an understatement that!! baseball is incredibly popular in japan, mexico and a number of other countries.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
American football is quality. It is 100x better than rugby. Like i said earlier ive played both but have much more fun playing and watching american football than rugby!

E

enigma

DJ Leon said:
It's a freak show.

You're a mug if you dont think its good. Watch the NBA, its amazing. The skill of those guys is incredible, some of the moves are unbelievable.

Last edited by a moderator:

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
enigma said:
You're a mug if you dont think its good. Watch the NBA, its amazing. The skill of those guys is incredible, some of the moves are unbelievable.

The skill of international tiddlywinks players is outstanding, that doesn't make it a brilliant game.

Basketball is dull. It's no contact for start, which doesn't make any sport where players are mixing together in the same space interesting. They score about every 10 seconds, so what the frig are you meant to cheer?! Yay, we scored again! Boo, they scored again! Hang ON! they failed to score there - GET IN! You'd have to be a MUG to get excited about THAT.

And it is played by freakishly tall people. How many people over 6ft 5 have you ever met? Yet, every team is packed with them. If it was all about skills, why wouldn't there be a more representative bunch of heights?

Personally, I'd rather International Dressage.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Gilliver's Travels said:
"World Series" WORLD Series?

Now, how many other countries compete in this World Series of yours.....

:ohmy:

So, Americans do have a sense of irony after all?

In 1886 when the American League and the National League had their respective champions play each other they needed a name for the winner. Each league called their champion "champions of the United States" so the eventual winner could not be called the American champion as there were already two. "Championship of the world" was chosen. In 1886 that was assuredly a fair term

Have you no sense of history?

E

enigma

DJ Leon said:

And it is played by freakishly tall people. How many people over 6ft 5 have you ever met? Yet, every team is packed with them. If it was all about skills, why wouldn't there be a more representative bunch of heights?

So you dont enjoy basketball, fair enough.

Obviously physical size is very important, but there are quite a few good players under 6 foot 5/6 foot 6.

Watch people like Allen Iverson, Michael Jordan in his prime and you will see its not all about size.

Watch John Stockton, who is 6 foot, throw a no look pass.

There is plenty of skill in basketball.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Juan Albion said:

Hockey is played in many countries - Germany, Sweden, Finland, Switzerland, France, Italy, Yugoslavia (or whatever they are now). . .'

I dislike basketball personally but I think you are wrong there too. There are several countries where it is a passion. Greece and the former Yugoslavia come to mind, but I might be wrong.

True to a degree but the point I was making was that they're all cult sports as against the main game of ALL the countries you mentioned which is football (as we know it).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here