Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lets all diss the Yanks so called sports

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Re: Re: Re: Re: Lets all diss the Yanks so called sports

Curious Orange said:
It is also a sport that is prone to the odd bit of "crowd trouble", something you don't hear about with U.S. sports.

Yeah, but that's because you have to fly thousands of miles to away games.

They probably think Boston v New York is a local derby (and considering the way that the Red Sox and Yankees carry on, it probably is).

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
No-one's mentioned WRESTLING.

thats cos WE invented it (didnt we?), either way their WRESTOR (WRESTling with AcTORs) is simply lots of men in lycra acting out for the Oscars!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Re: Re: Lets all diss the Yanks so called sports

DAMANCLAY said:
No its not. Ive played both and its not rugby with pads and helmets. the only thing similar is that they both play with a "rugby" ball.

Pedant alert - The ball is more streamlined than a rugby ball and with prominent laces. US Football is a hell of a lot more interesting to watch/play than rugby for starters! Scrap rugby :yawn: on the beeb and bring back the NFL to terrestrial tv.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
No-one's mentioned WRESTLING.

No-one's mentioned that this is the umpteenth thread on this subject (American Sport-not wrestling).

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Gilliver's Travels said:
"World Series" WORLD Series?

Now, how many other countries compete in this World Series of yours.....

:ohmy:

So, Americans do have a sense of irony after all?

Believe it's based on the thinking that theirs is the best pro league in the world and thus the champions of the Series will therefore by default be the best team in the world.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Re: Re: Re: Lets all diss the Yanks so called sports

Curious Orange said:
From what I've seen it has more in common with British Bulldog, but with the fun taken out.

quite a good way of explaining it, but it still has the fun in it!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Frisbee - WTF?

It's just like chucking a dinner plate at your spouse in a fit of rage, but not so much fun when it connects with its target.

portlander

Jul 16, 2003
Portland, Maine, USA
If you watch the NFL every week as I do you'll come to appreciate it, if only for the sheer ferocity of some of the hits. Of course it helps that my closest team are the Patriots, who keep winning Superbowls. I much prefer college football, faster, great atmosphere, great cheerleaders (even though some of them are male). Basketball here is crap, they only try in the last 5 minutes, the NHL is fun to watch in person but doesn't televise as well, and baseball becomes addictive after a while if you're prepared to put some effort into understanding the game. Sadly my Red Sox are about to go into a steep decline, only a year after finally winning the World series. I do love it when American teams lose in any international competition, because they just can't understand that anyone could be better than them. The whining is very satisfying.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
f*** off MARC :)

you only don't like them cause you don't understand them innit.

baseball, hockey (which as said is canadian, dont get us confused with the yanks!!), american football... all WELL good sports.

never really got basketball mind...

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well I LOVE the NFL, I think gridiron is an amazing sport.. Got tickets for Oakland Raiders v Miami Dolphins on 27th November. I don't support either but it's the only NFL game on in the Bay area during the time I'm over.

Haven't got much time for the other major US sports, not even baseball which we invented (see Jane Austen). We don't play it over here because we also invented cricket which is of course far superior - in how many other sports are there four possible results?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Has anybody noticed that the US boasts world Champions at sports that nobody plays seriously if at all ?

Baseball, played a bit in Japan, Australia and Mexico, far less than Cricket of course.

American Football, really not played outside tie US, even the CFL is a different (but many say better) game.

Ice Hockey, okay, played a bit in the Eastern Block but not to the same level.

Basketball, played at a semi pro level in a handful of countries virtually all of whom would claim Football (real football that is) as their national sport.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Juan Albion said:
The NHL. You can now win, lose, win in overtime, lose in overtime, win in penalty shootout, lose in penalty shootout. You cannot, however, draw.
You can argue the same about football with extra time, golden goals, silver goals and penalty shoot-outs but at the end of the day you win or lose (or draw for league games). In cricket however you can win, lose, draw or tie; some folk even like to split draws up into 'winning draws' and 'losing draws'.

Also in Ice Hockey don't you find there's too much skating between fights?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
portlander said:
If you watch the NFL every week as I do you'll come to appreciate it, if only for the sheer ferocity of some of the hits. Of course it helps that my closest team are the Patriots, who keep winning Superbowls.

As a Warwick, RI resident from 1989-1991 the Pats were also my first NFL love, and at the time pretty crud, one late 80s Superbowl thrashing not withstanding. The return of the Hartford Whalers is what most New England NHL fans would love to see......allegedly.
???

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here