Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Les's football chat - Albion Strikers

Redhead

Jul 21, 2005
The Mighty 'ford
The Complete Badger said:
Why on earth do you think that?

He scored 7 in 34 games this season. That's gonna get us NOWHERE!

It was his first season at this level though and more than held his own, just needs to practice hitting the back of the net.

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
Thats not bad for a target man. Given his age and workrate / attitude I'd expect him to do better next year. We need to score 55-60 goals to get into the play offs I reckon, assuming our defence stays reasonably solid.

Assuming Cox and Hammond weigh in with 10+ goals, Jake gets 5 from the wing someone like Bowditch gets 20 and our defence contribute 5 that totals 50 goals without any of our other strikers such as Bas, Elder or Gatting contributing.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
The Complete Badger said:
Why on earth do you think that?

He scored 7 in 34 games this season. That's gonna get us NOWHERE!

He also got injured in the middle (well end) of his scoring spree.

And like others have said, its a big step up from Braintree to Brighton and he's done ok in my book!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
ali jenkins said:
He also got injured in the middle (well end) of his scoring spree.

And like others have said, its a big step up from Braintree to Brighton and he's done ok in my book!

Since he came back, he played with a hernia (yes, I know using his foot would have been better) which hampered him.

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
BTW, does anyone think Dean Bowdich would be the answer? [/B][/QUOTE]

If if he could stay fit and that is a big if then I would say yes. It looks like the club have already made preliminary enquiries into getting him back.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think the answer is to send Gatting out on loan to a conference or Div 2 side and keep Robinson.

Then sign a proven target man in the Steve Fletcher of Bournemouth mould for Revell to play off and play Robinson wide right midfield and Cox wide left midfield.

No Bowditch is not the player we need nor is Savage who holds the ball up but holds it up for too long so all the defenders are able to muster themselves in the box.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Les Biehn said:
I was thinking about this yesterday and I reckon chances are we will try and get someone in who can get us goals next year. Say this happens I would probably start them with one of Elder, Bas or Revell, most likely Bas.

All three of them are essentially lightweights in the grand scheme of things tho. Wouldn't have any confidence at all in any permutation of those three being enough to mount a challenge on the play-offs next season. Sorry, but it's the fact that doesn't lie. Even in combination with a 'proper' frontman. I reckon we need TWO proven forward players.

Last edited:

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
Stoaty Ferret said:
Thats not bad for a target man. Given his age and workrate / attitude I'd expect him to do better next year. We need to score 55-60 goals to get into the play offs I reckon, assuming our defence stays reasonably solid.

Assuming Cox and Hammond weigh in with 10+ goals, Jake gets 5 from the wing someone like Bowditch gets 20 and our defence contribute 5 that totals 50 goals without any of our other strikers such as Bas, Elder or Gatting contributing.

What I saw of Bowditch he didn't look like a 20 goal a season player to me.

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
Neither Revell or Savage are going to get you 20 goals a season. Don't know about Elder, haven't seen enough of him, but doesn't look terribly dangerous in his 15 minutes per game.

SeagullTim

Boomer Sooner
Apr 22, 2006
Brighton
Les Biehn said:
I was thinking about this yesterday and I reckon chances are we will try and get someone in who can get us goals next year. Say this happens I would probably start them with one of Elder, Bas or Revell, most likely Bas.

I would then try and get Robinson and Gatting a season loan at a League 2 club. Robinson as a last chance to toughen up and Gatting to get some regular experience. I think Gatting needs to show he can improve the mental side of his game if he is gonna make it with us.

I now open this footballing debate up to the board.

I'd do the same but start the new striker up front with Revell.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Redhead said:
I also agree re: Gatting and Robinson although I feel perhaps one may be let go permenantly as a club of our stature cant really afford 5 (potentially 6 if we make any signings) strikers on the wage bill, which I suppose opens the question who (if anyone) goes. For me Gatting, as Robinson has proved that he is if nothing else versatile and could prove to be a winger?

it would have to be gatting to go - when robinson had confidence at the start of the season he was scoring for fun. gatting however couldnt score in a brothel

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Scotty Mac said:
it would have to be gatting to go - when robinson had confidence at the start of the season he was scoring for fun. gatting however couldnt score in a brothel

5 goals in your first season is better than Jake did.

le ros bif

Jan 3, 2007
sw france
Feel the obssession with a '20 goal a season ' striker is a little optimistic......apart from the odd exception ie Sharp/Constantine, I don't think they're around any more.........Bowditch is not the answer, from what I saw of Elder at Cheltenham, with the right pre-season training programme and a few friendly runouts think he and Revell/Bas could feasibly hit the 40 goal mark between them....target instead a proven midfielder with an eye for getting forward with an eye for goal??:clap:

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I think the starting partnership next season should be Revell and Bowditch

Savage - Has the presence upfront, but i somehow think he want score more than 8 in a season

Robinson - needs to toughen up, maybe not the srtiker everyone had hoped for, but still a skillful talent - only scored in 4 league games this season

Gatting - seems to have pace, strength, speed and composure in the reserves, but can never quite fulfil hilself in the 1st team

Elder - will be great, but needs to sort his 1st touch, wins lots of headers and runs all day

Gargan - too skinny, but scored loads for the youth team. No 1st team experience as yet, apart from the warm up at upton park

Think Revells work rate and flick ons will be perfect for Bowditch who is from the small amount I saw him a very clever player, and if we get him will be the extra bit we need - but then again how long can he stay fit

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I see Furlong has been released by QPR. I think he would be an excellent signing if we can get him. Offers experience and a goalscoring threat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here