Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Les's football chat - Albion Strikers

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I was thinking about this yesterday and I reckon chances are we will try and get someone in who can get us goals next year. Say this happens I would probably start them with one of Elder, Bas or Revell, most likely Bas.

I would then try and get Robinson and Gatting a season loan at a League 2 club. Robinson as a last chance to toughen up and Gatting to get some regular experience. I think Gatting needs to show he can improve the mental side of his game if he is gonna make it with us.

I now open this footballing debate up to the board.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Any sexual activities this week end Les ???

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Spielberg said:
Any sexual activities this week end Les ???
:lolol: Don't anybody say I don't try and post sensible stuff. Look what happens.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
I think Robinson always looks more dangerous coming from deep so I would give him a run on the right of midfield at the start of next year. Gatting I would send on loan but it really would shatter him if he didn't score goals in league 2 but I guess we need to find out sooner or later. Elder looked immense at Cheltenham so I would start with Him and Revell but obviously bas has a massive part to play.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The only trouble I foresee is getting someone in. Hopefully we have identified a loan or a player near the end of their contract who could come here and do the business. Difficult in our position to sign on a proven goalscorer.

Redhead

Jul 21, 2005
The Mighty 'ford
I also agree re: Gatting and Robinson although I feel perhaps one may be let go permenantly as a club of our stature cant really afford 5 (potentially 6 if we make any signings) strikers on the wage bill, which I suppose opens the question who (if anyone) goes. For me Gatting, as Robinson has proved that he is if nothing else versatile and could prove to be a winger?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
sir danny cullip said:
I think Robinson always looks more dangerous coming from deep so I would give him a run on the right of midfield at the start of next year. Gatting I would send on loan but it really would shatter him if he didn't score goals in league 2 but I guess we need to find out sooner or later. Elder looked immense at Cheltenham so I would start with Him and Revell but obviously bas has a massive part to play.

I agree about Robinson but would still be tempted to send him out to toughen up as this would also help his game on the right. Also if he did toughen up and improve his runs then he would be a very valuable player, not many pacy goalscorers with talent around.

I think the big 3 could all be interchangable and do a decent job.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
sir danny cullip said:
I think Robinson always looks more dangerous coming from deep so I would give him a run on the right of midfield at the start of next year.
Basically agree with first part of this but don't think a player who is so scared of defenders should start in the first team. Once he has shown more grit in the reserves, a place on the sub's bench beckons.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
sir danny cullip said:
I think Robinson always looks more dangerous coming from deep so I would give him a run on the right of midfield at the start of next year.

I would agree with that. A winger instead of a striker.

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
I reckon we'll get in Bowditch on loan and play him off either Revell or Savage. Jake is a winger IMO and him and Cox on either side give us great pace and spark. They need to practice their crossing though. Think we are deluding ourselves if we expect DK to splash £100K on a proven 20 goal striker. I'd expect Whing to sign and maybe another midfielder but that will be it.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Stoaty Ferret said:
I reckon we'll get in Bowditch on loan and play him off either Revell or Savage. Jake is a winger IMO and him and Cox on either side give us great pace and spark. They need to practice their crossing though. Think we are deluding ourselves if we expect DK to splash £100K on a proven 20 goal striker. I'd expect Whing to sign and maybe another midfielder but that will be it.

Bowditch would be good. I think jake definately needs to toughen up if you are gonna play with him and cox on the wings. That a very lightweight midfield otherwise.

If we didn't get anyone I would be tempted to play with them two in a 433, Cox on the left of attack and Robinson on the right with 3 in the centre of midfield.

Last edited:

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I wouldnt sign another striker as weve got enough in the squad already!

The thing that strikers need is CONFIDENCE in them selves and others playing around them so id stick with Elder and Revell up front for a bit and give them time to gel.

I agree with Robinson on the right and Cox on the left and i'd also sign an experianced Central midfielder, someone whose seen it all and can bring along the youngsters.

Id also have Hammond in the middle with the new signing.

At the back Id have Butts and Lynch in the middle with El-Abd and Mayo on the flanks with FDM in the sticks!

But then again im not the one who picks the team am i!

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
A 4-4-2 with Hammond and hopefully Bertin in the middle with Jake and Coxy either side would be mustard. Think Cox has the required bite to deal with defenders. Agree Jake needs to toughen up, but then how many seasons have we been saying that for now.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
I was hoping to open a seperate thread at some point for the other areas of the team. Lets keep a focus people.

*Shit, that was by me Les. Forgot to log out then in :thud:.

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
Ok then - I reckon idf we get in Bowditch and if he can stay fit then he is capable of getting 15-20 goals for us next season. I would also expect Revell to get 10-15 next year based on what I have seen so far.

Redhead

Jul 21, 2005
The Mighty 'ford
I think with Reid back and fully fit and hopefully Hinsh we can look forward to a half decent season next time around, we must keep Bertin and sign a goalkeeper on a sensible wage. If we can get Robinson a bit more solid and get Coxy to pick up where he left off middle of last year and keep Bas fit, we should have a decent chance of moving towards the right end of the table.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
ginadim said:
I was hoping to open a seperate thread at some point for the other areas of the team. Lets keep a focus people.

*Shit, that was by me Les. Forgot to log out then in :thud:.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
The Complete Badger said:
We definitely need to sign a new striker, one with some experience of scoring goals at this level. I think we will, and someone will have to make way for him. It won't be Elder because he has done nothing wrong and won't be on much money. It won't be Robinson or Gatting, because they're young, and I can't see Wilkins looking to get rid of either. I think it will end up being Revell or Bas, as they're very similar, and neither is capable of scoring a lot of goals. By all means have one (preferably Bas), but is there a need for both?

Revell is capable of scoring goals in this league though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here