Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leonardo Ulloa

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
And why is it that the likes of premiership teams manage to get international clearance for non EU players so easily while we can't get this fella who's played in Spain for how many years? Doesn't make sense.

Wigan have just bought an Hondurans < spelling and have been given international clearance but never played in Europe. How does that work?

Wigan's Honduran, Espinoza, has played many times for the national side. That's key to signing non-EU players.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
We won't be signing him. It already feels like to much of a headache as it is with us trying to sign him and all this red tape bullshit then it's time to move on. Let it go.

I don't get it. First you moan and moan and moan that we need a striker, now you've decided that this one is too much hassle. Even though you have no idea of what is going on or what the chances of getting him are, and you've never seen him play.

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
Wigan's Honduran, Espinoza, has played many times for the national side. That's key to signing non-EU players.

Okay, but what is the difference between playing for the national side or not? Don't get it to be honest.

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
I don't get it. First you moan and moan and moan that we need a striker, now you've decided that this one is too much hassle. Even though you have no idea of what is going on or what the chances of getting him are, and you've never seen him play.

Have I moaned and moaned and moaned and moaned and moaned and moaned and moaned that we need a striker? Where have I moaned and moaned and moaned and moaned and moaned and moaned ?

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
I guess that playing for the National team means that you are at the top of your profession (supposedly) and therefore your job could not be taken by a British National. Or something like that.

Thanks KZN. If that's the case then they should rethink the rules.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Okay, but what is the difference between playing for the national side or not? Don't get it to be honest.

It's designed to place a limit on overseas players; specifically to limit the number of average non-EU players. In theory players representing their national team should be exceptional. Without this restriction every team could fill their squad with cheap, yet unexceptional, international talent. This would be detrimental to home grown players.

I think the FAs rules state that a non-EU player has to have played 3/4 of the recent games for their country. This doesn't apply to players from countries outside the top 60 (I think) in the fifa rankings.

It's an imperfect system but makes sense. Although it does mean it's easier to sign a Honduran (for example) than a possibly excellent Argentinian.

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
It's designed to place a limit on overseas players; specifically to limit the number of average non-EU players. In theory players representing their national team should be exceptional. Without this restriction every team could fill their squad with cheap, yet unexceptional, international talent. This would be detrimental to home grown players.

I think the FAs rules state that a non-EU player has to have played 3/4 of the recent games for their country. This doesn't apply to players from countries outside the top 60 (I think) in the fifa rankings.

It's an imperfect system but makes sense. Although it does mean it's easier to sign a Honduran (for example) than a possibly excellent Argentinian.

Thanks for the reply. It makes sense apart from your last line, Honduran over an Argentinian. Never heard of Honduran players before, is Honolulu any relation as always here of that country :)

PORTSLADESEAGULL

1983 ALL OVER AGAIN
Feb 18, 2012
PORTSLADE
According to 'wikipedia' deal is already done

José Leonardo Ulloa (born 26 July 1986 in General Roca, Río Negro) is an Argentine footballer who plays for Brighton and Hove Albion as a striker.

2008–2010 Castellón 78 games (30 goals)
2010–2013 Almería 72 games (35 goals)
2013- Brighton and Hove Albion 0 games (0 goals)

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex

José Leonardo Ulloa (born 26 July 1986 in General Roca, Río Negro) is an Argentine footballer who plays for Brighton and Hove Albion as a striker.

If it's in wiki it must be true. Great news!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Thanks for the reply. It makes sense apart from your last line, Honduran over an Argentinian. Never heard of Honduran players before, is Honolulu any relation as always here of that country :)

Sorry, that wasn't completely clear. What I meant was there's a greater pool of talent in Argentina than, for example, Honduras. So it's likely that there are excellent Argie players who aren't in the national team; Ulloa, perhaps. They can't be signed but a Honduran national player would get a work permit more easily despite the fact they may not be as good.

No disrespect to Hondurans, just an example as Espinoza was mentioned earlier. Palacios and Figueroa are also Honduran.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1

What is your name? I can make a wiki page for you and say you play for Brighton too if you want.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Almost 24 hours and nothing to add in this thread. It worries me when there's seemingly no progress..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here