Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon to learn fate at board meeting?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
If the board vote to keep Leon, which I expect them to, it will undermine McGhee. Leon isn't perfect, but where are we going to get a goalscorer from to replace him?

Either way, we lose IMHO

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Wanderer said:
If the board vote to keep Leon, which I expect them to, it will undermine McGhee. Leon isn't perfect, but where are we going to get a goalscorer from to replace him?

Either way, we lose IMHO

Why do you expect them to? His attitude stinks and he's out of contract at the end of the season. Might as well get rid and save the wages.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
trueblue said:
Why do you expect them to? His attitude stinks and he's out of contract at the end of the season. Might as well get rid and save the wages.

How do you figure that saves wages? If we were to be so stupid as to release him, we'd have to pay up the remainder of his contract. No point. Sadly, we have the same problem with McGhee - too expensive to sack. Let's just hope he does the best thing and resigns.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Repugnant Toad said:
How do you figure that saves wages? If we were to be so stupid as to release him, we'd have to pay up the remainder of his contract. No point. Sadly, we have the same problem with McGhee - too expensive to sack. Let's just hope he does the best thing and resigns.

Limit his role to first team coach and make Hinshlewood do all the jobs of a Director of Football, such as checking out the players that McGhee wants to sign and so on?

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Uncle Buck said:
Limit his role to first team coach and make Hinshlewood do all the jobs of a Director of Football, such as checking out the players that McGhee wants to sign and so on?

What does our Director of Football MH do? doesnt seem to be finding us any players

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Repugnant Toad said:

It'll save wages if someone signs him. Obviously.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Wanderer said:

Either way, we lose IMHO

This seems to bizarrely assume that Knight is a goalscorer rather than a poisoned dwarf?!? How odd, I havn't seen him score many goals in the last two seasons.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Tom Hark said:
If the board meeting comes out in favour of Leon, then McGhee's got to do a 'Back Me Or Sack Me' style flounce.
Highly unlikely. If there was a board meeting about this, this will almost certainly involve the management team of McGhee, Booker, White and Hinshelwood, plus the board of directors.

That way, the best way to sort out what problems there are can be talked through, possibly including the board asking McGhee to explain or justify his decisions, and a report into what actually happened, if necessary. Leon ought to get his chance to put his side of the case as well, and hopefully he will.

If they do decide to 'back' Leon, it will be with the blessing of McGhee. There are more implications at work than the simple 'Is Leon in or out?'

Maybe a 'heart-to-heart' from Dick Knight with Leon AND McGhee may be what is required, in a way in which McGhee thought had worked, but clearly hasn't. That way, the message comes from the top, but from a neutral aribter.

Richie Morris said:
According to BBC...

Knight set to learn Brighton fate

Brighton striker Leon Knight will have his future discussed at a board meeting this week, but the club's top-scorer expects to leave the Seagulls.
Knight asked for a transfer after being omitted for the second time in a month, reportedly for questioning the selection of keeper Florent Chaigneau.

I wonder what Chaigneau thinks of his team-mate Leon Knight

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Re: Re: Leon to learn fate at board meeting?

London Irish said:
I wonder what Chaigneau thinks of his team-mate Leon Knight
Presumably more than Knight thinks of him.

Defending one of your team-mates is one thing, but to do it in a way which undermines another is just not on. Assuming that's what happened, of course.

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Les Biehn said:
This seems to bizarrely assume that Knight is a goalscorer rather than a poisoned dwarf?!? How odd, I havn't seen him score many goals in the last two seasons.

The Leon groupies are taking their time to respond to this...probably trying to work out how to use one season's goal-scoring record (out of his whole career) to suggest he's a potent goal scorer just waiting for a proper manager. McGhee's not doing himself any favours over this shite but then if I were him I'd have punched Leon's lights out months ago so maybe he is handling it OK.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Bwian said:
The Leon groupies are taking their time to respond to this...probably trying to work out how to use one season's goal-scoring record (out of his whole career) to suggest he's a potent goal scorer just waiting for a proper manager. McGhee's not doing himself any favours over this shite but then if I were him I'd have punched Leon's lights out months ago so maybe he is handling it OK.

Not really, it is just the whole thing has now been done to death, it seems one of them has to go, just will it be the right one?

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Bwian said:
probably trying to work out how to use one season's goal-scoring record to suggest he's a potent goal scorer

He's not a goal-scorer, is he though? Who said he was? He's a creative striker, and was excelling in the role until McGhee started pissing him around. If he ends this season on 10 goals, he'll have done well - although he probably won't now, due to our manager. Coppell leaving was a bigger blow than most realised at the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here